Panasonic releasing an OLED with 4K and HDR in October and 65-inches!

Page 6 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

strapped for cash

Aug 17, 2009
Visit site
Given the Panasonic's price, and the fact that it's curved, I wonder if there's a better option.

Panasonic's big claim is that their processing lifts their OLED above the competition (LG).

If LG has fixed near-black gradation and uniformity issues on their upcoming 4K OLEDs, however, I wonder if a flat LG, plus an external processor and a pro-cal, could match or even beat the Panasonic. This combination would still cost quite a bit less.

I'm not sure an external processor such as Lumagen could deal with HDR content, which may be a problem.

strapped for cash

Aug 17, 2009
Visit site
Son_of_SJ said:
gel said:
Remember that 50hz issue? It was that.

What, exactly, is the 50Hz issue? I've not noticed anything on my 65VT65. Oh, and I've updated it once, but I don't leave it - or anything else - connected to the internet all the time!

This was more of a problem with earlier Panasonics (it was a form of motion stuttering with 50Hz content), but to the best of my knowledge it was never addressed in any way by firmware.

Son_of_SJ

Sep 10, 2009
Visit site
Ah, thanks for that, Strapped. I bought my VT65 in December 2014, right at the end of the production run, and by then I think that Panasonic had solved the 50Hz issue and had also solved the fan noise problem.

Son_of_SJ

Sep 10, 2009
Visit site
strapped for cash said:
Given the Panasonic's price, and the fact that it's curved, I wonder if there's a better option.

Panasonic's big claim is that their processing lifts their OLED above the competition (LG).

If LG has fixed near-black gradation and uniformity issues on their upcoming 4K OLEDs, however, I wonder if a flat LG, plus an external processor and a pro-cal, could match or even beat the Panasonic. This combination would still cost quite a bit less.

I'm not sure an external processor such as Lumagen could deal with HDR content, which may be a problem.

This preliminary look by Trused Reviews of the first flat OLED may answer all your questions! http://www.trustedreviews.com/lg-65ef9500-review. And hdtvtest confirms that the flat LG OLED can handle HDR content http://www.hdtvtest.co.uk/news/ef9500-201509104179.htm.

D

Deleted member 2457

strapped for cash said:

I reckon the LG 65-inch OLED flat TV will be quite popular, I know there is lots on AV that want it, I think I could be tempted too.

strapped for cash

Aug 17, 2009
Visit site
Son_of_SJ said:
Ah, thanks for that, Strapped. I bought my VT65 in December 2014, right at the end of the production run, and by then I think that Panasonic had solved the 50Hz issue and had also solved the fan noise problem.

No worries.

The "50Hz bug" was never really an issue with the last generation Panasonic plasmas. The 10, 20, 30 and 50 series had a few quirks when displaying 50Hz content, but it was never a major problem.

In any case, it's not something you should worry about with the VT65 particularly, regardless of the production run.

strapped for cash

Aug 17, 2009
Visit site
gel said:
I reckon the LG 65-inch OLED flat TV will be quite popular, I know there is lots on AV that want it, I think I could be tempted too.

Not that I'm encouraging you to buy yet another TV, but a flat LG OLED, plus a Lumagen processor (I assume they'll manufacture one soon that's compliant with UHD specifications, including HDR), and a pro-cal, could produce stunning results, potentially even better than the curved Panasonic.

As I say, this combination should cost a fair bit less than the Panasonic OLED, too.

Other bonuses to this combination include passive 3D at full HD resolution (not your bag, I know, but Panasonic TVs are active 3D); and LG's operating system, which is much better than Panasonic's.

D

Deleted member 2457

strapped for cash said:
gel said:

Not that I'm encouraging you to buy yet another TV, but a flat LG OLED, plus a Lumagen processor (I assume they'll manufacture one soon that's compliant with UHD specifications, including HDR), and a pro-cal, could produce stunning results, potentially even better than the curved Panasonic.

As I say, this combination should cost a fair bit less than the Panasonic OLED, too.

Other bonuses to this combination include passive 3D at full HD resolution (not your bag, I know, but Panasonic TVs are active 3D); and LG's operating system, which is much better than Panasonic's.
Cheers for the info.

D

Deleted member 2457

strapped for cash said:
gel said:

The flat 65-inch OLED has landed:

http://www.currys.co.uk/gbuk/tv-and-home-entertainment/televisions/televisions/lg-65ef950v-smart-3d-ultra-hd-4k-65-oled-tv-10138596-pdt.html

You can also get the £300 trade on that too. So £4700 - that is not bad for a start!

D

Deleted member 2457

BB - the picture blurred out on me, couldn't watch it anymore.

D

Deleted member 2457

bigboss said:
gel said:
BB - the picture blurred out on me, couldn't watch it anymore.
Strange. Never heard this issue with an update. How did you sort it then?
It was part of the 50hz issue at the time or so they thought, but it was on every source. Got a refund.

D

Deleted member 2457

rocketrazor said:
Son_of_SJ said:
And hdtvtest confirms that the flat LG OLED can handle HDR content http://www.hdtvtest.co.uk/news/ef9500-201509104179.htm.

*dash1* so two 4k OLED HDR sets with screen burn not looking to good for OLED and HDR. Something tells me it's going to be OLED 4K and no HDR or LED 4K with HDR!
Didnt realise that this one suffered with burn in too! Not looking good, and just as I was getting tempted too.

gel said:
rocketrazor said:
Son_of_SJ said:
And hdtvtest confirms that the flat LG OLED can handle HDR content http://www.hdtvtest.co.uk/news/ef9500-201509104179.htm.

*dash1* so two 4k OLED HDR sets with screen burn not looking to good for OLED and HDR.  Something tells me it's going to be OLED 4K and no HDR or LED 4K with HDR!
Didnt realise that this one suffered with burn in too!  Not looking good, and just as I was getting tempted too. 
Good then. Resist the temptation gel. Wait until next year. TVs will become cheaper and you'll actually be able to use 4K.

D

Deleted member 2457

bigboss said:
gel said:
rocketrazor said:
Son_of_SJ said:

*dash1* so two 4k OLED HDR sets with screen burn not looking to good for OLED and HDR. Something tells me it's going to be OLED 4K and no HDR or LED 4K with HDR!
Didnt realise that this one suffered with burn in too! Not looking good, and just as I was getting tempted too.
Good then. Resist the temptation gel. Wait until next year. TVs will become cheaper and you'll actually be able to use 4K.
Cheers buddy.

Son_of_SJ

Sep 10, 2009
Visit site
This AVForums podcast, the IFA edition from 9th September, is worth a listen. The bit about the Panasonic OLED starts 36 minutes 45 seconds in, followed by a piece about the LG OLED TVs, including flat (yippee!!). https://www.avforums.com/threads/avforums-podcast-ifa-special.1979511/

strapped for cash

Aug 17, 2009
Visit site
gel said:

I'm intrigued, if the TX-65CZ952B produces "one of the best [pictures] we've seen," which TVs offer comparable or better performance?

The comments on MLL are strange, too. This television and other OLEDs don't produce "plasma-like black levels," but absolute black rather than very dark grey.

I'm not arguing wth the rating; the mag has always factored price into its reviews (Oppo BDPs being pertinent examples) and the Panny OLED is prohibitively expensive.

strapped for cash

Aug 17, 2009
Visit site
The AVF review is up, too.

https://www.avforums.com/review/panasonic-tx-65cz952b-cz952-ultra-hd-4k-oled-tv-review.11988

Reference performance post-calibration, with a few minor niggles:

Very slight (much improved) vignetting just above black (though otherwise no uniformity problems).

Not so good in terms of input lag.

Cannot reproduce full DCI colourspace (though no issues meeting Rec.709).

This is still the best ever consumer television. Shame you need a Premiership footballer's salary to afford one.

D

Deleted member 2457

strapped for cash said:
The AVF review is up, too.

https://www.avforums.com/review/panasonic-tx-65cz952b-cz952-ultra-hd-4k-oled-tv-review.11988

Reference performance post-calibration, with a few minor niggles:

Very slight (much improved) vignetting just above black (though otherwise no uniformity problems).

Not so good in terms of input lag.

Cannot reproduce full DCI colourspace (though no issues meeting Rec.709).

This is still the best ever consumer television. Shame you need a Premiership footballer's salary to afford one.
Cheers! I am a bit disappointed after reading the reviews, I was expecting slightly better praise after first impressions. Still sounds good though.

TRENDING THREADS