Panasonic 42 Plasma 70PX vs 70PZ

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Planning to buy a 42'' plasma television, I focused my attention on these two champs.

Both the plasmas received very good reviews, both have very good PQ, both have just average sound, both seem to support 24fps playback (I read the neverending, but intersting and funny thread)

Here's the question: no matter the extra price of the PZ, is it really a better set than the PX.

It obviously has an edge in showing full hd content (even on 42'' I suppose), but watching to DVD and SD sources too, is it overall a better set ?

I'm asking this because It seems (but maybe I misunderstood) that full hd sets are, in general, a little more noisy than their hd-ready cousing in showing lower resolution sources since they have to upscale more. So I was wondering that maybe PX show better DVD and SD sources than PX.

Any help?

Andy Clough

Apr 27, 2004
Visit site
Here's what we said in our review of the TH-42PX70:

"We've said it before, and we'll say it again: resolution is not the only measure of a television's picture quality. Take Panasonic's TH-42PX70: some would have you believe that this elegant 42in TV is a lame duck, its 1024 x 768 resolution and plasma technology leaving it prey to its Full HD LCD rivals.

"But the truth is very different. This is a brilliant set... the onboard Freeview tuner is excellent... contrast is simply fabulous... and you'll be thrilled at how three-dimensional images are."

In other words, for watching Standard-def TV and DVDs it's superb. Oh, and BTW, its onboard 1080p processor accepts Blu-ray and HD DVD content, and yes, as you'll have read on this forum, it does indeed handle 24fps.

So no, IMHO, you don't need the Full HD TH-42PZ70.

A

Anonymous

As a user and in a position where i have real world tested some sets, i have to say Andy is spot on, its not about stats and specs its about image processing and realism and in my experience Plasma has the edge over LCD in that area. Motion and Contrast and black levels are just more realistic and handled better. Dont get hung up on specs and resolutions just trust your eyes and get the best picture quality for the price you can get. Panasonic or if you have the dosh Pioneer

A

Anonymous

Andy, maybe i didn't expalin very well ... or you're to sincere to give an "abstract" opinion.

I understand that, as I read on the magazine too, PZ doesn't woth the extra $ but ...

I want a pure PQ opinion. Considering that one (PZ) can display full hd (better, maybe a little but better, I suppose) and PX maybe (I'm not sure, I'm waiting for your judgment) may show better SD.

Imagine they cost exactly the same.

Which one would do you pick up ? Is it real that PX is little better in showing SD content ? (if not, I think PZ would be the choice in this imaginary hypothesis).

So... ?

Thanks.

A

Anonymous

I've just bought the Panny TH-42PX70 based on your review within your magazine and only say a great big thank you! The set is awesome and i got it for £750! With my PS3 though i use the 1080p 24fps output as it's the highest quality and the Panny chipset can accept it with ease. Since the Panny downscales it though, does it just go down to 720p? If so, would 1080i offer better quality for my Blu Ray movies?

The quality of the picture is amazing, just wondering which is the best resolution to use.

A

Anonymous

Simple answer is 1080 is Interlaced, since your set has 720 lines across the minimum HD ready requirement, just feed it 1080p progressive scan input, the excellent Panasonic onboard scaler and image processing will do the rest. I have the 37 inch version and have everything set for 1080p its superb

A

Anonymous

I narrowed my choice down to the TH-42PX70, TH-42PZ70 or the Pioneer PDP-428XD. In the end I have just ordered the TH-42PZ70 for £923.00. Decided to take the middle ground, and intend to upgrade to SKY HD. If money was no object then its a no brainer The pioneer would win. But for about £1200 I get a full HD tv and sky hd. Which comes in under the price of the pioneer.

A

Anonymous

I think we all miss the point. At least concerning my first question.

I was wondering if there's any advantage (real Picture Quality, not just technically datas) in viewing SD sources (Dvd, freeview, etc.) on the Panasonic PX70 (hd-ready), insted of on Panasonic PZ70.

Full Hd sources are better on PZ, it's obvious, full hd panel, non downscaling, etc, etc ...

But what about DVD, freeview, etc ?

a) better on PX

b) it's the same

c) better on PZ

What's your point of view / tests result ?

LeeBishop

Aug 14, 2007
Visit site
i have a 42pz and im very happy with this telly, i have just had sky+ installed and im very happy with the picture, the signal is strong and iguess some channels are better looking than others, the freeview inside the telly was great as well, i cannot comment if the picture is better than a px or visa versa but i can telly you that i am very happy with it, and blu ray looks amazing, as for viewing distance im about 3m away!

pop into a shop and see if they can put the two tellies side by side, might help in the decision making!

LeeBishop

Aug 14, 2007
Visit site
sorry i also forgot to say that the telly is really quiet, before the sky box came i couldnt here anything now all i get is the fan noise from the sky box.

frisnit

Nov 26, 2007
Visit site
I'm fully aware that at a sensible viewing distance there shouldn't be any great visual difference between the PX70 and the PZ70, despite the full HD of the PZ70, and indeed at about a distance of about 8 feet or so, there didn't seem to be when I viewed them this weekend (handily placed side-by-side at a retailer). There seemed to be a slight improvement in quality with the PZ70, but it was very subtle.

However, when viewing them from close up (a few feet) when inspecting the TV's themselves, the resolution difference was glaringly obvious when viewing some text (not quite so much in the pictures themselves). It just looked nasty to me, and to my wife who had seen it too (and she has no interest in such things).

I know it's not crucial simply because you wouldn't normally view your TV from that close, but it did look bad enough to make me reconsider my choice of the PX70! I was going to wait until the New Year anyway, so hopefully the PZ70 will be closer to the same price as the PX70 and I can get that without feeling guilty for paying too much :)

A

Anonymous

I think that the notion that 720p displays are better with standard-def pictures than 1080p displays, because there is 'less to upscale' is a bit of a misconception. With a 1080p display, there are basically more pixels to use to 'recreate' the original standard-def image accurately, with line definition intact. Someone on another post described as a simple (but excellent) example, if there were 2 pixels - 1 black and 1 white, and they had to be upscaled to 3 pixels, there would end up being 1 black, 1 grey and 1 white pixel. This obviously diminishes the line definition and softens the edge between the two parts of the image. On the other hand, if the 2 pixels were upscaled to 5 pixels, there would be 2 black, 1 grey and 2 white pixels - a better result as it is more similar to the original image, with line defintion closer to the original.

However, I would say that if you think you the prefer the image on either set, you should trust your own eyes, and go for that set.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts