Dali/Marantz vs Sonos

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

hydra1981

Jun 18, 2016
Visit site
andyjm said:
hydra1981 said:
I didn't say that, I said one should take into account that what Sonos offers is not just audio but the ability to listen to music across your property without lag. If one doesn't actually need this functionality then Sonos is overshadowed on a dollar basis by other products simply because the money has been spent on audio related tech rather than audio plus IT.

I am very pleased with the Play 5 but it won't replace my main audio system. It will go into the bedroom and a Play 1 is on order for the kitchen.

Hydra,

What's this lag you keep going on about - are you talking about the ability to synchronise a stereo pair with two networked speakers?

Playing music using one source but across wireless speakers without the audio coming out of the speakers out of sync is historically the killer feature of Sonos and it is not trivial to implement. Sonos can do that across multiple speakers regardless of the exact configuration (stereo or multiple mono Play 1s across the house).

The other type of lag I was refering to was regarding reports that a Sonos Connect plugged in to a sound system will be in sync with itself and the multiple Sonos speakers but the amplifier of the sound system might itself introduce a delay into the sound coming out of its speakers due to internal processing of the signal. Apparently this is not always the case and although I haven't tested it myself yet I hope my Marantz won't have this issue.

The_Lhc

Oct 16, 2008
Visit site
hydra1981 said:
andyjm said:
hydra1981 said:
I didn't say that, I said one should take into account that what Sonos offers is not just audio but the ability to listen to music across your property without lag. If one doesn't actually need this functionality then Sonos is overshadowed on a dollar basis by other products simply because the money has been spent on audio related tech rather than audio plus IT.

I am very pleased with the Play 5 but it won't replace my main audio system. It will go into the bedroom and a Play 1 is on order for the kitchen.

Hydra,

What's this lag you keep going on about - are you talking about the ability to synchronise a stereo pair with two networked speakers?

Playing music using one source but across wireless speakers without the audio coming out of the speakers out of sync is historically the killer feature of Sonos and it is not trivial to implement. Sonos can do that across multiple speakers regardless of the exact configuration (stereo or multiple mono Play 1s across the house). 

The other type of lag I was refering to was regarding reports that a Sonos Connect plugged in to a sound system will be in sync with itself and the multiple Sonos speakers but the amplifier of the sound system might itself introduce a delay into the sound coming out of its speakers due to internal processing of the signal. Apparently this is not always the case and although I haven't tested it myself yet I hope my Marantz won't have this issue.

As I mentioned previously this really only applies to modern av receivers as they perform so much digital processing. I use a 15 year old receiver and everything is perfectly in sync.

Curious as to where you're finding a play:3 for £165? That's play:1 money.

hydra1981

Jun 18, 2016
Visit site
The_Lhc said:
hydra1981 said:
andyjm said:
hydra1981 said:

Hydra,

What's this lag you keep going on about - are you talking about the ability to synchronise a stereo pair with two networked speakers?

As I mentioned previously this really only applies to modern av receivers as they perform so much digital processing. I use a 15 year old receiver and everything is perfectly in sync.

Curious as to where you're finding a play:3 for £165? That's play:1 money.

Yes - thanks, I remember your comment that is why I am waiting to come across a good deal on a Connect. Apologies if I confused things, £165 for a Play:1 is right, the Play:3 is £230ish roughly which doesn't sound like a huge difference for an one off purchase. For £230 though you can get a used 1st generation Play:5. So although I was considering a Play:1 for the kitchen then I thought maybe I should spend the extra £60 and get a Play:3 instead or if I am actually going to pay that much should I get the 1st Play:5 instead. Probably a bit of an overkill for a small kitchen.

hydra1981

Jun 18, 2016
Visit site
Sonos connect just arrived, analog audio out plugged in to the analog audio in of the Marantz. My only problem is that I need to crank the volume up way too high to get any substantial sound out of the speakers. I have the audio on the Connect at around 30% (which is where I keep the Play 5 most of the time) and I need to increase the volume on the Marantz up to 40. Just to give you an idea, when the digital in from the TV is selected, 25 is good enough and from Marantz's own Internet Audio around 12. This is a problem because if someone makes the mistake of selecting the TV or Marantz Internet Audio when the volume is at 40 things will turn ugly I think. Any hints? Thanks!

davedotco

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
hydra1981 said:
Sonos connect just arrived, analog audio out plugged in to the analog audio in of the Marantz. My only problem is that I need to crank the volume up way too high to get any substantial sound out of the speakers. I have the audio on the Connect at around 30% (which is where I keep the Play 5 most of the time) and I need to increase the volume on the Marantz up to 40. Just to give you an idea, when the digital in from the TV is selected, 25 is good enough and from Marantz's own Internet Audio around 12. This is a problem because if someone makes the mistake of selecting the TV or Marantz Internet Audio when the volume is at 40 things will turn ugly I think. Any hints? Thanks!

It is a pretty obvious sensitivity mismatch.

You have, in effect, two preamplifiers, the Sonos Connect and the one in the marantz. They ouput different levels so there will always be a missmatch. Ideally you should connect everything to either the Sonos or the Marantz, ideally the Sonos but it will not have enough inputs.

I have come across this issue on a number of occasions, there does not seem to be a simple solution. The best I can suggest is to connect everything to the marantz and to use the Sonos to run everything else in the house, far from ideal.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts