Help - Panasonic Plasma at 720p or cheap LED at 1080p?!

JohnnyKid

Dec 9, 2014
Visit site
Hi, any advice on this greatly appreciated. After more than a decade of loyal service from my trusty Panasonic Plasma (very much SD!), the time has come to upgrade, if only because my new bluray/dvd and Sky HD box demand HDMI inputs. I'm on a hugely tight budget (under £300) and my research has thrown up a Panasonic p42x60 plasma at a hugely reduced £249.99 but it's only HD Ready rather than full HD, ie 720p. My colleagues at work say I'd be mad to get it, that 1080p is where it's at, but I'm really not that bothered about full HD, Smart TV, etc. I have a smart bluray/dvd player anyway, so I don't need Smart TV. Are they right, am I mad to get a 720p plasma or should I get a similarly priced LED offering 1080p, for example the Panasonic TX-42A400B, £299? Usage would mainly be watching movies on DVD, Sky HD, and perhaps occasionally Bluray. Also sport in HD. Thanks for any advice!

Peter Kudelstaart

Feb 25, 2012
Visit site
There's nothing wrong with a 720 P display unless you are sitting very close to the screen. Let's say closer than 2 meters/7 ft. In my opinion plasma only has one big disadvantage and that is its energy consumption. In one or 2 years time you will have earned the extra 50 pounds back if you get the led instead. If you choose the plasma you will have a more natural image. However you should find out if the plasma is new out of the box or that it has been used in any form. Oh and if you are watching tv a lot in a well lit room it might be better to get the led.

JohnnyKid

Dec 9, 2014
Visit site
Thanks for that advice Peter, pretty much ties in with my gut feeling. I find the picture in plasma much more natural (at least on my SD set). All the LED displays I've looked at in stores seem TOO clear, with an unreal quality, almost like there's too much definition, which doesn't appeal to me. Having said that, I would like to see some improvement on image and sound quality, which is why I've gone and got a bluray/dvd player for Christmas. Am I right in thinking that I will see some significant improvement on image and sound quality watching DVDs and very occasionally blurays from that source, even on a merely 720p plasma when compared to what I currently get playing dvds on a cheap standard dvd player through an SD plasma?

Peter Kudelstaart

Feb 25, 2012
Visit site
Yes, a 720p plasma will give you a much better image quality than what you are used to. Especially when you use a HDMI or component cable to connect your blurayplayer to your tv. Your blurayplayer will upscale your dvd to 720p. For better soundquality you wll need a stereo or av-amplifier and a pair of speakers. Alternatively you can get a soundbar to improve the soundquality.

Paul.

I would take a look at a Samsung 40h5000 in a store too. If you press the menu button, change picture mode from dynamic to movie mode it should be much more to your taste.

i bought my dad a 32h5500 for Christmas and wall mounted it in front of his Cross trainer. Running hd content I was very impressed with its picture quality, the colour in movie mode had really nice skin tones. The h5500 and 5000 are the same picture quality by the way, it's just the h5000 has all the smart stuff as well.

Peter Kudelstaart said:
There's nothing wrong with a 720 P display unless you are sitting very close to the screen. Let's say closer than 2 meters/7 ft. In my opinion plasma only has one big disadvantage and that is its energy consumption. In one or 2 years time you will have earned the extra 50 pounds back if you get the led instead. If you choose the plasma you will have a more natural image. However you should find out if the plasma is new out of the box or that it has been used in any form.  Oh and if you are watching tv a lot in a well lit room it might be better to get the led. 

Annual energy consumption is about £10 more, not £25.

I would second Paul's suggestion. My sister in law has got Samsung 32H5000 and it's a brilliant TV without unnecessary extras.

JohnnyKid

Dec 9, 2014
Visit site
The Samsung hadn't crossed my radar before, but have just looked at some reviews and it does sound very good indeed for the money (£279 at Richer Sounds at the mo). Thanks for the tip! Any issues with motion blur when watching sports? While I'm loath to leave plasma, it does sound like a good alternative. Also eying up the Sony KDL40R483 (£299 at RS). Will take myself down there at lunchtime today to take a look at both in action and then it's decision time!

JohnnyKid

Dec 9, 2014
Visit site
None the wiser following a trip to Richer Sounds. Found all the LED displays there very garish, colours too bright, blacks looking a bit washed out etc etc. Chap I spoke to was pretty dismissive of budget LEDs to be honest. I think, at risk of appearing a luddite, I'm going to go for this unfeasibly cheap Panasonic from Argos, despite the lowly 720p resolution. After all, I'm only likely to watch bluray once in a blue moon (pardon the terrible pun!).

Xanderzdad

Jun 25, 2008
Visit site
JohnnyKid said:
None the wiser following a trip to Richer Sounds. Found all the LED displays there very garish, colours too bright, blacks looking a bit washed out etc etc. Chap I spoke to was pretty dismissive of budget LEDs to be honest. I think, at risk of appearing a luddite, I'm going to go for this unfeasibly cheap Panasonic from Argos, despite the lowly 720p resolution. After all, I'm only likely to watch bluray once in a blue moon (pardon the terrible pun!).

Why not go for the 42" Full HD model I suggested. Once set up for home (and not left on the 'shop' setting), it is a beautifully accurate picture. Lots of adjustments can be made to get it just right.

JohnnyKid

Dec 9, 2014
Visit site
Have had a look at the reviews and it seems like a decent set. The other factor here is that I have a load of nectar points to put towards the purchase so will be buying from Argos. Sadly they don't have the Full HD panasonic in stock, nor indeed the Samsung 42H5000. Basically, with my nectar points and the big reduction, I'll be able to get the Pana plasma for under £100!

Matte

Sep 22, 2014
Visit site
Did you buy it?

TBH you can't see the difference with 42'' sets at 1080 compared to 760. Panty plasma give a great picture and with blue ray you will see how well the tv can look. 760/720 sets always look better with an SD source.

Lcd is still poorer in my opinion and have still to have a good viewing angle even the best so called sets show off axis brightness/ white issues.

The power consumption is a red herring when you are able to purchase such acheap set to begin with.

Unless your set is greater than 50'' the need for 1080 is unnecessary. Remember sky is 1080i and that not all games are dynamically running at 1080p. Remember that a basic HDMI cable is all you need and anyone who thinks there is a difference is talking a load of who shot John.

Matte

Sep 22, 2014
Visit site
Paul. said:
Matte said:
Did you buy it?

TBH you can't see the difference with 42'' sets at 1080 compared to 760.

I disagree. I can see the difference between 720p and 1080p on a 32" from 1.5m, should be easy on a 42" at 2m.

Feel free to disagree. That's free speech. If we are taking 1080 on 32 then that's LCD and that's a whole new ball game and mainly comes down to the quality of the LCD panel ( and that to me is almost an oxymoron).

But for example I have seen two plasmas each 50'' one 760 one 1080running from the same receiver and at a seating distance of 4m you couldn't tell the difference.

Pausing gamres and standing close you could but dynamically almost impossible. But having said this it is always down to the quality of the set you are comparing. A poor quality set whether 720 or 1080 will always be poor.

A lot comes down to what people see as better as well, the way I've seen some picture set ups which are over sharp, to high in contrast and running motion processing I'm not sure a lot a people actually know what good is. It's like that gadget show, where they might like a picture'that really pops out at you' or 'the colours are really vibrant' it's should be true and accurate to test inputs. How you like to set up after is to your preference

Likewise I've yet to see a 4k set that looks that good unless it's running 4k.

Son_of_SJ

Sep 10, 2009
Visit site
Matte said:
Paul. said:
Matte said:
Did you buy it?

TBH you can't see the difference with 42'' sets at 1080 compared to 760.

I disagree. I can see the difference between 720p and 1080p on a 32" from 1.5m, should be easy on a 42" at 2m.

Feel free to disagree. That's free speech. If we are taking 1080 on 32 then that's LCD and that's a whole new ball game and mainly comes down to the quality of the LCD panel ( and that to me is almost an oxymoron).

In my bedroom, 7'6" away, I now have my first flatscreen television, the previously highly-regarded Pioneer PDP 428XD plasma, which is only HD Ready, its resolution is 1024 x 768. All my televisions were calibrated in July 2013. Though I am very fond of this Pioneer, I notice that when playing 1080p material, Blu-Ray, it is not as sharp as my other (Full HD) televisions, but still acceptable. However, when watching Standard Definition broadcasts on Freeview, the picture on this Pioneer appears at least as good as on any of my other three televisions, maybe because it has to upscale less than the Full HD machines? And if I remember, the OP watched a fair amount of Standard Definition.

JohnnyKid

Dec 9, 2014
Visit site
Haven't taken the plunge yet as the Panasonic is currently out of stock at Argos. They do have a Samsung 43h4500 HD ready plasma thought, so am weighing up going for that instead, although it's a little pricier. I have decided to go for a 780p Plasma over an LCD though, although LED/LCD is newer technology, I'm not convinced it's better technology (I'm a bit stubborn like that, I still buy CDs rather than download/stream music - older but better tech in my opinion!). I see this set as a bridging set until OLED and 4K becomes mainstream and affordable in a few years time.

Anyone know much about the Samsung? Comparable with the Panasonic?

Matte

Sep 22, 2014
Visit site
JohnnyKid said:
Haven't taken the plunge yet as the Panasonic is currently out of stock at Argos. They do have a Samsung 43h4500 HD ready plasma thought, so am weighing up going for that instead, although it's a little pricier. I have decided to go for a 780p Plasma over an LCD though, although LED/LCD is newer technology, I'm not convinced it's better technology (I'm a bit stubborn like that, I still buy CDs rather than download/stream music - older but better tech in my opinion!). I see this set as a bridging set until OLED and 4K becomes mainstream and affordable in a few years time.

Anyone know much about the Samsung? Comparable with the Panasonic?

I can't agree with you more. Hopefully the panny has maintained its quality because as things get progressively cheaper they don't always maintain their quality. My mother in laws older 42inch panny plasma is still head and shoulders better quality than any equivalently priced or more expensive LCD.

In fact I am amazed at just how poor some LCD sets are today.

Even some of these so called high end curved ones look atrocious in the shop ( but TBH it's not always the case when home) but even after I've set the picture up and removed all the stupid motion enhancement nonsense they still have motion blur and pixelation and poor of axis brightness.

Having said all that against LCD some sets have looked good but they have just caught up with that plasma look. Sets today, seem to need an over sharp demo vid and a sexy form factor to impress the prolotariate.

On anorther plus side, the HDMI cable debate seems to have quietened down!

As to your question I've not seen the Sumsung plasma but I've never liked their older plasma sets.

JohnnyKid

Dec 9, 2014
Visit site
The Panasonic 42x60b is back in stock in Argos at the bargain basement price, so I've finally placed my order! Will report back on how I'm finding it when it arrives next week. Thanks for all the advice!

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts