Panasonic 37PX80 OR Sony KDL-40V4000 SO CONFUSED AND NEED TO BUY TODAY!

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Im going to buy a tv today (thursday) from a currys store, my reason for having to shop at currys is because I have a replacement voucher for my old lcd and it has to be used there. The voucher is for £547 and this was originally going to be used on a Samsung le32 series 5 but when I saw the picture quality and the flimsy stand I was really disappointed.

So now im in a dilemma between the sony and the panasonic. This will be used with a panasonic bd-35 blu-ray and a toshiba hd-dvd player, I will also have my pc running through the display. I had a look at the panasonic instore yesterday while it was running a panasonic hidef feed and this looked pretty good as well as the fact the tv looks seriously well built. I could get this within my voucher value and they have them in stock. I was sold but then I found out its only 1024 x 724 and this made me think is it really that good and how well will it work with my pc? I normally use my pc for web browsing more then anything else.

Now the sony looks to have a better spec and its also a award winner but which is the better tv? Also I will have to add another £53 above my voucher which isnt much but its still money. I prefer the solid looks of the panasonic but will pc use give it bad screen burn? Am I being stupid considering a tv that can just about do 720p in the world now being lead by 1080p screens?

All opinions will be appreciated

A

Anonymous

37PX80 is still best buy 37" TV on this site, but I would go for the 42PX80, which has even voted best TV of the year under £1000 on another site and it's actually cheaper than the 37" in Currys
emotion-21.gif

Dont be put off by all the marketing hype about 1080p. There is very little difference at these sizes.

A

Anonymous

1080p does make a difference at this size, especially if you are going to use your tv as a pc monitor. If you were mainly going to watch upscaled DVDs and standard-def tv then the Panasonic 37PX80 would be better, however for pc use, you need a 1080p resolution lcd panel, so that you have a closer resolution to an actual pc monitor, you also avoid screenburn and you have much brighter colours which are far more suited for use with a pc.

A

Anonymous

Im also confused how 1024 x 724 will run as a monitor resolution, I used to have my old lcd set to 1024 x 768. any ideas?

Tonya

Sep 9, 2008
Visit site
Hi all! Please excuse me if I'm stating the obvious here, but using traditional SVGA output (which is analogue) into a digital plasma or LCD will always result in an inferior PC picture. If possible, always use the HDMI socket from the PC directly into a HDMI input on the monitor. If your PC or laptop doesn't have a HDMI output, then you are still in luck if it sports a DVI socket (usually a white coloured socket).
Just pick up a passive DVI to HDMI converter costing a few pounds and you will have a pure digital signal path.
If your TV has a "one to one pixel mapping" feature, simply enable this to experience the ultimate PC picture.
I'm currently running both Vista and Windows 7 via HDMI on a Sony 52W4500 screen and the picture is knife-sharp and almost three dimensional in appearance. If you're serious about your Windows (or Mac) appearance, this is the way to go.
Hope the above info helps.

A

Anonymous

If your just web browsing ignore the need to get bogged down in resolution, buy a 42'' Panny.

Do not fixate on the1080p, take advantage of the lower prices.

Matt

A

Anonymous

gansta187:1080p does make a difference at this size, especially if you are going to use your tv as a pc monitor. If you were mainly going to watch upscaled DVDs and standard-def tv then the Panasonic 37PX80 would be better, however for pc use, you need a 1080p resolution lcd panel, so that you have a closer resolution to an actual pc monitor, you also avoid screenburn and you have much brighter colours which are far more suited for use with a pc.What is the TV going to be used for most? Watching SD Freeview, DVDs, Blurays, and web browsing. The most important factors for a TV are contrast, blacks, colour fidelity, motion handling and lastly pixel resolution. Buy the Panasonic.

A

Anonymous

rewerb:gansta187:1080p does make a difference at this size, especially if you are going to use your tv as a pc monitor. If you were mainly going to watch upscaled DVDs and standard-def tv then the Panasonic 37PX80 would be better, however for pc use, you need a 1080p resolution lcd panel, so that you have a closer resolution to an actual pc monitor, you also avoid screenburn and you have much brighter colours which are far more suited for use with a pc.What is the TV going to be used for most? Watching SD Freeview, DVDs, Blurays, and web browsing. The most important factors for a TV are contrast, blacks, colour fidelity, motion handling and lastly pixel resolution. Buy the Panasonic.

So if what you're saying is true
emotion-1.gif
then what exactly is the point of high-definition? And if you have a tv with a resolution of 32 by 18 pixels, it's all good as long as the black levels are good.

A

Anonymous

gansta187:

So if what you're saying is true
emotion-1.gif
then what exactly is the point of high-definition? And if you have a tv with a resolution of 32 by 18 pixels, it's all good as long as the black levels are good.
Is a 10Mb digital camera better than a 6Mb one? What's more important is the lenses and the colour rendition.

A

Anonymous

thanks for the help guys, I will agree that for pc use the lcd would be the better choice but as this will be for mainly dvd / bluray playback I opted for the 37px80 and it really is something special.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts