seemorebtts

Feb 2, 2013
Visit site
Hi I recently heard this word on here and found out what it meant.then I started to look at my hifi and thought my whole system is overkill.then I started to worry a little bit.iv spent alot of money on my setup but I think it was justified.im going to put a list of how much iv spent to see what you think and to hear from anyone who thinks they have an overkill hifi
Primare i22 £1000
Primare cd32 £2000
Power cables £1000
Audio plugs £800
Dynaudio emit 20 £600
Speaker wire £200

ID.

Feb 22, 2010
Visit site
I only tend to think of overkill in terms of mismatched capabilities, so maybe buying a much more expensive and powerful amp than the speakers really require might mean that you don't get to experience the full capability of the amp.

D

Deleted member 108165

If you like the sound of your kit then it isn't overkill. As ID says if there's a mismatch on individual components then maybe, but yours appears to be nicely balanced. Just on a personal note and opinion, I wouldn't have spend so much on cabling and plugs... you could have purchased a really nice turntable for £2K *biggrin*

Gazzip

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
seemorebtts said:
Hi I recently heard this word on here and found out what it meant.then I started to look at my hifi and thought my whole system is overkill.then I started to worry a little bit.iv spent alot of money on my setup but I think it was justified.im going to put a list of how much iv spent to see what you think and to hear from anyone who thinks they have an overkill hifi Primare i22 £1000 Primare cd32 £2000 Power cables £1000 Audio plugs £800 Dynaudio emit 20 £600 Speaker wire £200

I think the amount you spend on hi-fi can only be assessed in terms of financial overkill when related back to one's material wealth and existing commitments. I am assuming you mean financial overkill?

If for example you were a stock picker working for Amazon and struggling to pay the rent and feed the kids every month, and then you went out and purchased your list of goodies, it would be a fair assessment that you may have spent too much and engaged in "overkill". If however you are well paid and in stable employment with little in the way of real debt then no, I do not think your list of spending would be considered unreasonable.

BTW your list is not too bad really. The total of your spend amounts to the (new) cost of my mains regenerator/conditioner alone so I think you are probably okay for a bit yet!

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
The total spend on your system is about what I have budgeted for my "Lottery Jackpot Win System" if that situation ever transpires! (Something like an Accuphase E-270 and DAC 40 module with Audio Note AN-K speakers or similar.)

lindsayt

Apr 8, 2011
Visit site
seemorebtts said:
Primare i22 £1000 Primare cd32 £2000 Power cables £1000 Audio plugs £800 Dynaudio emit 20 £600 Speaker wire £200
My personal opinion is that your power cables and Audio Plugs are massively overkill.

Your CD player and Speaker cables are overkill.

Your speakers are massively underkill.

But it's your system, your choice and your money. Do whatever works best for you.

shadders

lindsayt said:
seemorebtts said:
Primare i22 £1000 Primare cd32 £2000 Power cables £1000 Audio plugs £800 Dynaudio emit 20 £600 Speaker wire £200
My personal opinion is that your power cables and Audio Plugs are massively overkill.

Your CD player and Speaker cables are overkill.

Your speakers are massively underkill.

But it's your system, your choice and your money. Do whatever works best for you.
Hi,

Yes, when your power cables, audio plugs and speaker cable costs 3x more than your speakers, I would have to agree. The speakers generally are the component that makes the greatest difference to a system, so maybe you should have spent £2,000 on them and £600 on cables?

Regards,

Shadders.

ID.

Feb 22, 2010
Visit site
LOL, the disproportionate amount spent on cables, etc. never even registered. Definitely overkill when you consider the speaker upgrade you could've gotten and the minimal/zero difference the cables and plugs make.

Another overkill scenario might be the size of speakers one uses compared to the room size. Just a hypothetical, not saying that's what the OP had done.

stereoman

Mar 22, 2016
Visit site
chebby said:
Something like an Accuphase E-270 and DAC 40 module with Audio Note AN-K speakers or similar.

thumbs_up.gif
that would be an incredibly nice system. Accuphase is wonderful.

tino

Sep 29, 2011
Visit site
PS If I won the lottery, max. spend would be around £10K ... Some Vivid Audio speakers £6k and a nice amp for £3k (Lyngdorf or Gato Audio for example) and £1k for a streamer and some cables. Or a pair of Avantgarde Zero 1s ... mmmmmm.

Womaz

Dec 27, 2011
Visit site
An interesting post . The system I have now is probably the most I will EVER spend on a system and it's not overkill as I love it. It is a huge amount for me to spend on gear and I would have had no chance when I was married :)

However my speaker cables were £200, power cables about £100 in total, and other cables about £400 in total, so I think your cables are overkill for what it's worth

MajorFubar

Mar 3, 2010
Visit site
It's not the amount you've spent but where you've spent it. You've spent £2000 on plugs and cables to rig your CD player and amp up to £600 speakers. Even if you swapped the figures around i personally would still say you've wasted £600 though it would make a bit more sense at least. But it's your money and your system so who am I to lay the law down. As long as you enjoy it.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts