Turntable or not turntable

seemorebtts

Feb 2, 2013
Visit site
I want to get into vinyl but is it worth it.vinyl is very popular at the moment and everyone says it's better than CD.i love my system at the moment which consists of a cyus cdi and primare i22 amp and dynaudio emit20.im considering
Pro ject classic £799
Primare phono stage £800
I don't know alot about vinyl so try to keep it simple.will these two make me sell my cdi or am I going to regret spending all this money.any help thanks

D

Deleted member 108165

seemorebtts said:
I want to get into vinyl but is it worth it.vinyl is very popular at the moment and everyone says it's better than CD.i love my system at the moment which consists of a cyus cdi and primare i22 amp and dynaudio emit20.im considering Pro ject classic £799 Primare phono stage £800 I don't know alot about vinyl so try to keep it simple.will these two make me sell my cdi or am I going to regret spending all this money.any help thanks

I will stick my neck out here and definitely say NO, not better than CD, just different. If you haven't got a large vinyl collection already then I would suggest staying with CD. To do vinyl justice takes money, patience and understanding of the foibles of vinyl playback, (you are on the right road with the Pro-ject Classic though). At the end of the day it's your hard-earned cash not mine. There are many more wiser men than I on here who will be along soon with their suggestions - this is just my 2p's worth *smile*

Oh, and there's actually a turntable forum on this site - you've posted in the HiFi section...

seemorebtts said:
I want to get into vinyl but is it worth it.vinyl is very popular at the moment and everyone says it's better than CD.i love my system at the moment which consists of a cyus cdi and primare i22 amp and dynaudio emit20.im considering Pro ject classic £799 Primare phono stage £800 I don't know alot about vinyl so try to keep it simple.will these two make me sell my cdi or am I going to regret spending all this money.any help thanks

Not that I would want to put anyone off getting into vinyl I am afraid I would have to agree with DougK.

I would get into vinyl now purely on the current hype and notion that vinyl is better than CD. This, I believe, only happens in a number of cases where the CD version of an album is so compressed it's virtually listenable. To get the best from vinyl it is normally the case that you'll have to buy new LPs and they are not cheap. Yes I know there are people who say older pressings of certain LPs sound better but they are just that older versions. These tend to have been played a lot and believe me vinyl does wear-out.

Ultimately the cost of your new media is going to make starting a new collection tricky unless you have a lot of money to throw at it.

Dare I suggest if you want something different you look in hi-res downloads. There, I have said it....... sits back and waits for the flak. :)

luckylion100

Nov 6, 2011
Visit site
DougK said:
seemorebtts said:

I will stick my neck out here and definitely say NO, not better than CD, just different. If you haven't got a large vinyl collection already then I would suggest staying with CD. To do vinyl justice takes money, patience and understanding of the foibles of vinyl playback, (you are on the right road with the Pro-ject Classic though). At the end of the day it's your hard-earned cash not mine. There are many more wiser men than I on here who will be along soon with their suggestions - this is just my 2p's worth *smile*

both comments above, all bases covered perfectly.

Although I would just add, if you happen to be absolutely minted, then why not?! ;-)

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
I adopted vinyl a few yyears ago and love it. It really adds another dimension and much interest.

However, I've moved three times in the last four years and have cursed my decision to indulge in vinyl a few times.

So, I would say if you have no plans to move and have the space/money ... absolutely. You'll fall in love with your Hifi all over again.

lpv

Mar 14, 2013
Visit site
you have good amp, dynaudios are rather good too and cd player to match.. I'm sure it's all sounds good.. agree with posts above; I would simply buy more cd's *music2*

.. if you're really tempted try to borrow deck from a dealer

D

Deleted member 108165

drummerman said:
I adopted vinyl a few yyears ago and love it. It really adds another dimension and much interest.

Same here, drummerman. Totally agree with you.

matthewpiano

I love vinyl. I grew up with it, had a few years without it, but came back to it in my 20s and have stuck with it ever since, alongside CD. I've got an excellent turntable and a decent collection of around 500 LPs, some of which are new pressings. However, I'm finding the cost of new vinyl mostly prohibitive now, and I only buy the odd thing that I know I will listen to a lot. Everything else I buy on CD. If I was starting at 0 with no vinyl and no turntable, I think the cost would put me off, so I agree with the sentiments already shared here.

If you really do want to take on the rewards of vinyl, but also the cost and effort implications, you've picked a gem of a turntable. I head the Classic at the National Audio Show in September, and it's a lovely piece of kit.

D

Deleted member 108165

lpv said:

That's a cracking idea! He'd just need to find a friendly dealer who would loan a tt and phono stage.

seemorebtts

Feb 2, 2013
Visit site
DougK said:
seemorebtts said:
Do you think what iv picked is good enough and is a good phono stage important

What you have shortlisted is very good indeed. I have not personally heard the Classic but those that have state that it is a cracking turntable. As for the phono stage, yes very important, but if you're gonna stick with MM carts then maybe the Primare is overkill, but it will look nice as it will match your amp *smile* and would give you the option of a move to MC carts in the future.

Not trying to put you off as this is your decision. Vinyl along with CD playback is a natural progression in building a system I guess. For me vinyl has a passionate/emotional/ownership aspect that CD doesn't offer. I've said this on multiple occasions but vinyl done well repays in spades. Vinyl done poorly will send you back to digital. If you can handle the foibles such as pops, clicks and roar, plus adopt the fastidious cleanliness regime that vinyl demands then you'll be okay.

Edit: Don't forget storage issues, and if you've got pets or young children keep the tt and vinyl out of reach *biggrin*  
what's mm and MC.do you mean brightness as over kill

D

Deleted member 108165

seemorebtts said:

What you have shortlisted is very good indeed. I have not personally heard the Classic but those that have state that it is a cracking turntable. As for the phono stage, yes very important, but if you're gonna stick with MM carts then maybe the Primare is overkill, but it will look nice as it will match your amp *smile* and would give you the option of a move to MC carts in the future.

Not trying to put you off as this is your decision. Vinyl along with CD playback is a natural progression in building a system I guess. For me vinyl has a passionate/emotional/ownership aspect that CD doesn't offer. I've said this on multiple occasions but vinyl done well repays in spades; vinyl done poorly will send you back to digital. If you can handle the foibles such as pops, clicks and roar, plus adopt the fastidious cleanliness regime that vinyl demands then you'll be okay.

Edit: Don't forget storage issues, and if you've got pets or young children keep the tt and vinyl out of reach *biggrin* What are your musical tastes: pop, jazz, classical?

D

Deleted member 108165

MM is a moving magnet cartridge, (the Classic has an Ortofon 2M Silver fitted - MM cartridge). MC is a moving coil cartridge. No, not brightness, "overkill" as in the Primare phono-stage being exceptionally good as it has the option to accept both MM and MC carts. I'm sure others can explain the difference between MM and MC, or just google the differences.

Sorry, I've gotta head-off to work now *smile* but I'll look in later tonight.

I agree with Doug, and the preamp is overkill. For a budget of £1600, I'd suggest a turntable - by all means another project - for around £1200 to £1400, with a Rega Fono preamp. Or if you love the Classic looks, a better Ortofon cartridge, like the bronze or even black, rather than the silver. And the cork mat, which is a big improvement apparently.

Also, I recognise the misgivings of others about getting into vinyl now. Hard to be objective as I grew up with LPs so it was my source, long before cd! I like the analogy that vinyl is a bit like a mechanical watch; it tells the time less accurately than a £15 Casio, but is much nicer to own.

seemorebtts said:

To be honest the phono stage may be too good, assuming you are looking at the R32. No point in paying for Moving Coil function if you never intend using it, possibly look for second-hand R20. I'd split some of the money and put it towards a better cartridge.

lpv

Mar 14, 2013
Visit site
DougK said:
lpv said:

That's a cracking idea! He'd just need to find a friendly dealer who would loan a tt and phono stage.

well, I encountered one nasty dealer.. the others were cracking

davedotco

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
seemorebtts said:
What's better MC or mm

MC in absolute terms, but they are expensive, really need a better player and a good and matching phono stage or step up.

The cheapest setup that I would be happy recommending would be the Clearaudio Concept MC £1400 (includes a £400-500 MC cartridge) and add the matching Nano V2 phono stage £225.

Overbudget but not hugely so, might get a deal if you buy the 'package'.

Blacksabbath25

Sep 20, 2015
Visit site
I was looking at the pro Ject classic myself

I am not sure myself whether to buy a TT or not if it's worth doing I have a load of vinyl that I have collected over the years sitting their doing nothing but I can not bear to sell it .

i have an amp that's capable of both MM / MC so no issue there but I had it in mind to buy a retro looking TT but keep putting it off .

i am happy with cds but do remember what vinyl was like too I did have a cheap Pro - Ject in the 1990s but I was disappointed with its sound but now I know how much it costs to do this right and £200 back in the 90s was still classed as chip as chips today's standards .

iQ Speakers

Feb 24, 2013
Visit site
Well from sombody who streams 99% of the time I have just bought a turntable. The last one I owned was a 1982 NAD 5120 with a flat arm! Nasty! I have no vinyl and we have a very reveiling system so I'm open minded. Will it blow me away or win me over?, will it add that touch of romance worthwhile the expence?

seemorebtts

Feb 2, 2013
Visit site
davedotco said:
seemorebtts said:
What's better MC or mm

MC in absolute terms, but they are expensive, really need a better player and a good and matching phono stage or step up.

The cheapest setup that I would be happy recommending would be the Clearaudio Concept MC £1400 (includes a £400-500 MC cartridge) and add the matching Nano V2 phono stage £225.

was just looking at the clearaudio MC is the phono stage good enough or would the primare be better

Blacksabbath25

Sep 20, 2015
Visit site
This is the trouble with all of theses different formats

You get used to a nice clean detailed sound with streaming / cds but what I remember with vinyl was the pop's and the crackles .

and if you read a round about vinyl people spend crazy money .

davedotco

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
seemorebtts said:
davedotco said:
seemorebtts said:
What's better MC or mm

was just looking at the clearaudio MC is the phono stage good enough or would the primare be better

Impossible to say without trying them.

One important note is that MC cartridges need careful matching, in terms of sensitivity and impedance and top end phono stages will usually take this into account. Using the Clearaudio pair should at least ensure that matching is optimum.

davedotco said:
seemorebtts said:
davedotco said:
seemorebtts said:
What's better MC or mm

One important note is that MC cartridges need careful matching, in terms of sensitivity and impedance and top end phono stages will usually take this into account. Using the Clearaudio pair should at least ensure that matching is optimum.

I would also bear in mind that moving coil cartridges are normally just that, no means of renewing by just buying a new stylus. Cheap MC's are, therefore, not the way to go. Sticking with MM cartridges at least up to £500 means a cheaper phono preamp can be employed.

davedotco

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
Al ears said:
davedotco said:
seemorebtts said:
davedotco said:
seemorebtts said:
What's better MC or mm

I would also bear in mind that moving coil cartridges are normally just that, no means of renewing by just buying a new stylus. Cheap MC's are, therefore, not the way to go. Sticking with MM cartridges at least up to £500 means a cheaper phono preamp can be employed.

There is nothing cheap about good moving coil cartridges, the possible exception being the Denon DL103 series that offer staggering value.

However once you get used to them it is very hard to go back to MM designs. Of course this is a totally subjective view and the cost spirals alarmingly, but for me it in inconcievable that I would buy a player with an MM cartridge. The cost however is frightening, one of the primary reasons I gave up on viny some 15+ years ago.

The basic DL103 is still very cheap, needs a very high mass arm though it should suit your 310. Can't remember the the ideal load impedance of the top of my head but the output is quite healthy for a low output design. The DL103R has a higher compliance and would be more suited to lower mass arms such as the various Rega designs.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts