Pro-ject Debut MKIII Phono SB turntable pre-amp issues

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
I have the been using the above turntable -- Ortofon OM 5E moving magnet cartridge -- for a few years in conjunction with a Marantz PM-44SE amplifier. I was unable to use the phono stage of this amp. as the built-in pre-amp of the Pro-ject caused extreme distortion whentrying to play vinyl. I overcame the issue by using the "tuner" input but annoyingly I have the same problem again after an upgrade !! I have just purchased a new Marantz PM6003 amplifier. This amp. came highly recommended for a budget set-up -- it is coupled with the Marantz CD6003 CD player & a pair of Wharfedale Diamond 10.1 speakers -- as like the PM-44SE it had a MM input so I thought I could use the tuner input again. I have earthed the turntable as per the set-up instructions of the PM6003 but despite trying every input this distortion issue will not go away. After spending good money on a major upgrade to say I am disappointed & worried is an understatement. I have no doubt that the pre-amp is more than likely the problem. Has anyone come across this issue before & if so perhaps be able to offer a solution ? I would be extremely grateful !

Thanks in anticipation.

KKAVFC

Henley

Nov 26, 2007
Visit site
If, as you say, it was working on your old amp via the tuner input (which should be correct) then there really should be no reason why it will not work with the new amp. Nor is there any reason why the preamp should be at fault. It is designed to be plugged into a line level input so using the phono stage of your amplifier will result in overload (the distortion you are experiencing). Try checking your connections once more to ensure it is plugged into tuner, otherwise let your dealer (or us) have a look at it.

We are always here to help wherever possible
info@henleydesigns.co.uk
01235 511166

A

Anonymous

Hi,

I have re-checked all my connections but the fault persists, did you say that Sevenoaks Audio in Worcester may be able to look into this issue for me ? If so I would surely need to take the turntable & possibly my old and/ or new amp. Do you have an address and contact no. please ?

Thanks

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts