Pro-ject Debut pro

Alfi

Jul 11, 2016
Visit site
I recently got a Pro-ject Debut pro turntable and now I need a phono amplifier. Since I have a Primare amp I was looking at Primare R15. My system consists also of Sonus Faber speakers. Does anyone have experience with this combination? Any (other) suggestion would be appreciated.

Thanks

I recently got a Pro-ject Debut pro turntable and now I need a phono amplifier. Since I have a Primare amp I was looking at Primare R15. My system consists also of Sonus Faber speakers. Does anyone have experience with this combination? Any (other) suggestion would be appreciated.

Thanks
Do you ever see yourself using moving coil cartridges?
If not stick to a pure moving magnet phono preamp.
That said I would take this over the R15 if you dont mind the look.

Reactions: skinnypuppy71

skinnypuppy71

Aug 10, 2021
Visit site
If I'm ever going to buy another phono stage, it will likely be something from Tom Evans....he is the guru,....but I wouldn't hesitate to recommend any of NJC audio's products, I have the headphones amp and dac, I nearly bought their phono stage, but at the time everything was up in the air due to the pandemic, njc build to order, so this really impacted their cottage ( type) industry. I'll never sell my njc kit....it was built for me and my name is on the instruction booklet....that's the type of personal service you get from the guy's there at a competitive price, oh and yes it sounds very good and reliable.
The project tubebox ds2 that I currently use is also very good and is contributing to the best vinyl playback that I have had in my system to date.

Last edited:

nightanddaygamechangers

Nov 19, 2023
Visit site
Hiya Al. Excuse my ignorance/stupidity, but what is balanced output?
Balanced cables are typically used in professional environments, studios, concert venues, etc, as they reduce noise and interference for very long cable lengths. I just looked this up, for clarification, so I’m sure there are other benefits.

Some people, based on comments I’ve seen in reviews, also feel they are essential for home use. I can’t comment on that as I’ve never been inclined to use them, as my current setup doesn’t suffer from noise or interference, certainly not that I can hear.

Last edited:
Reactions: Al ears

Oxfordian

Balanced output is taking the, essentially balanced signal, from the cartridge and passing it on to the phono preamp over a balanced cable that uses a mini-xlr type connector.
Some Project turntables now use this method.
If I have this right (and I probably haven't) it is Moving Coil cartridges that are balanced by design aren't they, so Pro-Ject's push on balanced turntables stems from having a MC cartridge on the end of the tonearm, which they supply pre fitted with a lot of their TT's.

The end user needs to buy the correct balanced cable and a amp of some description which will accept a balanced input from the MC cartridge and boost that signal to line level.

Possibly just marketing blurb for the consumer as MC cartridges have been working just fine in unbalanced systems for years.

I hope I have this right.

Reactions: Gray and WayneKerr
If I have this right (and I probably haven't) it is Moving Coil cartridges that are balanced by design aren't they, so Pro-Ject's push on balanced turntables stems from having a MC cartridge on the end of the tonearm, which they supply pre fitted with a lot of their TT's.

The end user needs to buy the correct balanced cable and a amp of some description which will accept a balanced input from the MC cartridge and boost that signal to line level.

Possibly just marketing blurb for the consumer as MC cartridges have been working just fine in unbalanced systems for years.

No you are right but, ideally, and this is where Project are trying to sell packages, you only really benefit from the balanced bit up to the point that the signal is amplified to line level so you would need a balanced phono preamp but your amplifier doesn't necessarily need a balanced input.
At least that's how I understand it......
Yes it's a novelty but may have some benefits in the design

Reactions: Oxfordian and Gray

Gray

it is Moving Coil cartridges that are balanced by design aren't they
That seems to be the case.
But I can't see a reason why MM couldn't be made balanced if the will was there.

Maybe the (usually) higher price of MC makes it more logical.
Also, they might argue that MC quality makes balanced more worthwhile....although, most people on here agree that balanced itself is probably pointless.

Gray

what is balanced output?
It uses 2 identical conductors to carry the signal and a separate conductor for the ground.

Whereas the (domestically) more common, 2-pole RCA connector is unbalanced (often described as 'single ended') it uses the ground connection as a signal return.

So any balanced connector will always have more than 2 poles....usually 3, as with XLR.

Reactions: Oxfordian

daytona600

MM & MC

MM.jpg

Very interesting although, again, it's only going to be useful if used with a suitable phono preamp.
And I think this is certainly a gimmick. Making a balanced connection to a low output MC cartridge is one thing but to a high output MM...... I really don't see the point unless it is to get people buying the balanced version of their turntables and a balanced phono preamp of their making...which, to be honest, is pretty nifty marketing. :)

daytona600

2023/2024 Affordable Turntable AVforums - Pro-Ject X1 B

In two ways, this award is slightly contentious. The first is that the X1B attained the score it did reviewed with the partnering S3B phono stage which, by tacit admission means that qualifies too.

The second is that, to hear this award winner perform in a way that warrants the award, you’ll need a system with an XLR input and fit a moving coil cart.

44ProJect_aufm_m (2).jpg

2023/2024 Affordable Turntable AVforums - Pro-Ject X1 B

In two ways, this award is slightly contentious. The first is that the X1B attained the score it did reviewed with the partnering S3B phono stage which, by tacit admission means that qualifies too.

The second is that, to hear this award winner perform in a way that warrants the award, you’ll need a system with an XLR input and fit a moving coil cart.

View attachment 5616
Yes it is a bit unfair when you are actually reviewing two products and not just the turntable.
Note that you don't really need to fit a moving coil cartridge as the deck normally comes fitted with one or the balanced moving magnet that was mentioned earlier and you don't need, and would indeed have limited choice in finding, an amp with xlr inputs.
Also not too sure on their classification of "Affordable" as this package will set you back around £ 1250

daytona600

Hope santa has his weetabix
22Kilos for a phono stage or 35kg with external PSU
Extreme Cartridge Loading Options with remote control
Each of its single-ended RCA or balanced XLR inputs can be individually set for either MM/MC and loading. Each input also then remembers its own settings.
A costly, yet technically extremely sophisticated implementation, it allows the Nu-Vista Vinyl 2 to be matched with any cartridges and perfectly integrated it into the rest of your Hifi system.
By that criteria the Nu-Vista Vinyl 2 is perfect. It has no practical audible noise even at the highest levels of amplification. It doesn‘t really have distortion. You cannot overload its input or output and you can load your cartridge perfectly. It brings the artist’s intent, emotions and passion to your ears and heart.

Nu2 VistaVinyl2_7.jpg

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts