AT-LP3 vs Pro-Ject Essential 3A

ashor

Jul 31, 2022
Visit site
Hi All
I have the opportunity to purchase a Pro-Ject Essential 3 A Turntable, in "as new" condition, for a pretty good price. It has a relatively new Ortofon OM10 fitted and an acrylic platter (signified by the "A" I believe) .

I currently have the Audio Technica LP3 with an AT-VM95E and have always been pretty happy with it (despite the slating it sometimes gets).

I have a Marantz PM 5005 amp and Q Acoustics 3010 speakers. I also have a (currently unused) Rega AD2 MK1 pre-amp available, if required.

I should be able to get a similar price for the LP3, essentially (no pun intended) making the switch a freebie (it needs to be, as I am flat broke!)

My questions...
a) Is the switch worthwhile (i.e. will I hear a noticeable difference) and
b) are there any downsides to the Pro-Ject over the AT? (The only one I have spotted is the stylus replacement cost.)

Thanks in advance

Lubosh

Nov 16, 2023
Visit site
I think that better way is to step up to Audio-Technica AT-LP120X USB and change an AT-VM95E on it (as default) to Ortofon 2M Red or even better 2M Blue as I already did. And I´m fully satisfied with sound.

Reactions: ashor
Hi All
I have the opportunity to purchase a Pro-Ject Essential 3 A Turntable, in "as new" condition, for a pretty good price. It has a relatively new Ortofon OM10 fitted and an acrylic platter (signified by the "A" I believe) .

I currently have the Audio Technica LP3 with an AT-VM95E and have always been pretty happy with it (despite the slating it sometimes gets).

I have a Marantz PM 5005 amp and Q Acoustics 3010 speakers. I also have a (currently unused) Rega AD2 MK1 pre-amp available, if required.

I should be able to get a similar price for the LP3, essentially (no pun intended) making the switch a freebie (it needs to be, as I am flat broke!)

My questions...
a) Is the switch worthwhile (i.e. will I hear a noticeable difference) and
b) are there any downsides to the Pro-Ject over the AT? (The only one I have spotted is the stylus replacement cost.)

Thanks in advance
Personally, I don't think you would gain much by doing this.

ashor

Jul 31, 2022
Visit site
I think that better way is to step up to Audio-Technica AT-LP120X USB and change an AT-VM95E on it (as default) to Ortofon 2M Red or even better 2M Blue as I already did. And I´m fully satisfied with sound.
Hi Lubosh. I'm grateful for your reply, but my query is specifically in relation to a possible move from the LP3 to the Essential 3A, due to budget constraints.

Rui

Mar 23, 2021
Visit site
i guess knowing both it was a decrease in sound quality never ever seen such a bad cartridge as the 2Mred from Ortofon ,i would go for nagaoka mp-110 or one that you can afford or try sumiko pearl or other elyptical stylus from any brand i´ve been buying nagaoka MP-500 and the Orofon Cadenza black S(funny name) or grado platinum 3 or better for my old turntables, but the 2Mbronze or black are nice sounding, but At or Nagaoka for more acessible prices, try sumiko before buying, and i was happy when buying a grado prestige III Gold ,it as a good frequency response, and were being sold for almost 300€ in promotion

Rui

Mar 23, 2021
Visit site
i guess knowing both it was a decrease in sound quality never ever seen such a bad cartridge as the 2Mred from Ortofon ,i would go for nagaoka mp-110 or one that you can afford or try sumiko pearl or other elyptical stylus from any brand i´ve been buying nagaoka MP-500 and the Orofon Cadenza black S(funny name) or grado platinum 3 or better for my old turntables, but the 2Mbronze or black are nice sounding, but At or Nagaoka for more acessible prices, try sumiko before buying, and i was happy when buying a grado prestige III Gold ,it as a good frequency response, and were being sold for almost 300€ in promotion
Also forget to say that i would try to improve the AT before buying a Pro-Ject ,but you´re the one thinking of it ,Pro-ject are next to nothing around 1.000€ new, fluance are much better and less expensive

Please try to answer the OPs question. He is asking about turntables rather than a cartridge upgrade.

To my mind the change in turntable would only be, as others have pointed out, a sideways move.
The OM10 is a pretty basic cartridge to say the least.
It you are broke then stick with what you have until you can afford a better feck entirely or simply upgrade the stylus that is in your current AT95 cartridge.

ashor

Jul 31, 2022
Visit site
If you change the stylus in your AT95, the Eliptical Nude one is a big step up. I've used it on several different turntables and it's consistently better than anything else I've come across at affordable prices.
Yeah...I'm looking at them at the moment.
I'm assuming you mean this one:

Being one to want to get the best bang for my buck, would I not be better off getting the AT-VMN95ML as, although they are another £50-odd, they reportedly last 1000 hrs vs 300 hrs for the elliptical version?

It seems logical to me, but I'm (very) probably over-simplifying it.
Would it be overkill for my deck?

daytona600

AT91R shown on AT website

ashor

Jul 31, 2022
Visit site
AT91R shown on AT website
Sorry...I don't understand?
That's the one it came with. I've already upgraded to the VMN95E.

Reactions: Al ears

matthewpianist

Yeah...I'm looking at them at the moment.
I'm assuming you mean this one:

Being one to want to get the best bang for my buck, would I not be better off getting the AT-VMN95ML as, although they are another £50-odd, they reportedly last 1000 hrs vs 300 hrs for the elliptical version?

It seems logical to me, but I'm (very) probably over-simplifying it.
Would it be overkill for my deck?

I'm not convinced you would notice the difference in your system, and I'm very happy with the EN. I've had cartridges including an expensive high output MC Sumiko in the past (on a Michell TecnoDec), but I wouldn't benefit from that now.

ashor

Jul 31, 2022
Visit site
I'm not convinced you would notice the difference in your system, and I'm very happy with the EN. I've had cartridges including an expensive high output MC Sumiko in the past (on a Michell TecnoDec), but I wouldn't benefit from that now.
Thanks for your reply. Very much appreciated.
I'll have a think about what I want to do. :)

Reactions: matthewpianist

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts