Optical vs Coax SBT>Rega DAC

stevebrock

Nov 13, 2009
Visit site
Well I have 2 Mark Grant digital coax cables going into my rega DAC from my SBT & CDP

i have ordered a optical cable form thatcable and see if any difference can be heard!

anybody have any opinion or is it just a cable and shouldn't make any difference whatsoever?

sorry if this has been done before.

A

Anonymous

HI Steve - they sound different thats for sure, to me the stand-out difference is the co-ax sounds a bit warmer than the optical BUT only on certain material - on some material the optical output seems 'quicker' so I prefer the optical. I have an Arcam rDac and I have both outputs connected to a Yamaha AS500 amp so I can switch between the two for instant comparison.

The AS500 is known for being 'quick' and Arcam is on the warm side of neutral so it might just be the gear I have being able to show both sides of things. The IPL's I have are transmission line design with a ribbon tweeter and they definitely show the difference.

Hi-fi's a funny thing as we all know, for the price of an optical cable its definitely worth trying out.

Yamaha CD300 / Arcam rDac / Yamaha AS500 / IPL S4tl bi-wired co-ax, and silver PTFE

stevebrock

Nov 13, 2009
Visit site
paulkebab said:
Hi-fi's a funny thing as we all know, for the price of an optical cable its definitely worth trying out.

yes that's what I thought so I ordered one from thatcable.co.uk to see if there is any difference!

A

Anonymous

There is, hope you can spot it! Thatcable is where I go, too!

stevebrock

Nov 13, 2009
Visit site
Hi-FiOutlaw said:
stevebrock said:
Hi-FiOutlaw said:
I've no knowledge about the differences in sound quality of Rega DAC/SBT.

Not sure what you mean by that, I've never used the SBT without my rega DAC

What i meant is the differences in sound quality between coax/optical using Rega DAC/SBT.

sorry I get you now I will let you know if there is any!

Shanka

Jan 10, 2011
Visit site
Hi,

I do not have a Dac for my SBT yet, would be intrigued to see what differences you notice.I was staggered how good it sounds and not sure how much I need a dac.

I am just running mine direct into my Caspian using the supplied RCA cable, tried a Chord crimson but prefered the supplied one ( and its longer).

I am so happy with this purchase, hope you are enjoying your new toy as much as I am.

Have fun. :grin:

A

Anonymous

Just a thought Coax is the way I would go, as you cut out encoding digital to light and decoding light back to digital. Also with coax you have a greater choice to adjust the tonal balance of the system if to bright or to dull etc :)

stevebrock

Nov 13, 2009
Visit site
Pennypot said:
Just a thought Coax is the way I would go, as you cut out encoding digital to light and decoding light back to digital. Also with coax you have a greater choice to adjust the tonal balance of the system if to bright or to dull etc :)

how does that work then re: tonal bbalance

yes I agree with RCA interconnects but not a digital coax or am I missing something

Thompsonuxb

Feb 19, 2012
Visit site
LOL....

my bet is you'll notice the coax sounds better, the optical cable to sound thinner, less or lean as though frequencies are missing. I only have the freebie optical cable I got with the Xbox and its what I found was the differrence between copper and glass.

Please comeback and let us know your findings

WinterRacer

Jan 14, 2009
Visit site
stevebrock said:
Pennypot said:

how does that work then re: tonal bbalance

yes I agree with RCA interconnects but not a digital coax or am I missing something

You're not missing something. Think about it, how could a digital cable (optical or coax) selectively change the fequency response?

stevebrock

Nov 13, 2009
Visit site
well my optical cable came today!

iMac>SBT>optical cable>Rega DAC playing FLAC Dire Straits - Brothers in Arms

Marantz CD6004>Coax cable>Rega DAC playing Red Book CD Dire Straits - Brothers in Arms

I CAN NOT TELL THEM APART

relocated

Jan 20, 2012
Visit site
stevebrock said:
well my optical cable came today!

iMac>SBT>optical cable>Rega DAC playing FLAC Dire Straits - Brothers in Arms

Marantz CD6004>Coax cable>Rega DAC playing Red Book CD Dire Straits - Brothers in Arms

I CAN NOT TELL THEM APART

EEEEEEEERRRRRRRRRRRRRRMMMMMMMMMMMMM, isn't thepoint that you compare the cables in the same set-up? :doh:

Captain Duff

Jul 26, 2012
Visit site
It's a harmless and interesting test when the cables haven't cost you much money. However I pity those poor souls who attempt the same thing using very costly cables, or who genuinely believe that you can alter the 'tone' of 1's and 2's by using different wire.

amro200

Aug 11, 2011
Visit site
I tried both Coaxial and Optical from SBT to my rDAC and to the Coaxial was more detailed and balanced than Coaxial (to my ear), tried the same blind test in different times and music and now am turned to using, both cables are not expensive Optical is Belkin and Coax is Monster.

relocated

Jan 20, 2012
Visit site
Captain Duff said:
It's a harmless and interesting test when the cables haven't cost you much money. However I pity those poor souls who attempt the same thing using very costly cables, or who genuinely believe that you can alter the 'tone' of 1's and 2's by using different wire.

I think that might be 1s and 0s. :read:

relocated

Jan 20, 2012
Visit site
amro200 said:
I tried both Coaxial and Optical from SBT to my rDAC and to the Coaxial was more detailed and balanced than Coaxial (to my ear), tried the same blind test in different times and music and now am turned to using, both cables are not expensive Optical is Belkin and Coax is Monster.

Could you have a quick edit to allow us to know exactly what you mean?

Thompsonuxb

Feb 19, 2012
Visit site
so is the cd player going through the dacs also running as a transport only.

and have you tried them via the 667 - I know I heard distinct differences via coax and optical through my AV amps inputs, just curious.

TRENDING THREADS