oppo bluray player out july 1st

Page 5 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

cwalduck

Aug 17, 2007
Visit site
Got this from OPPO servive the other day CRTProjectors.co.uk is selling modified BDP-83 players which can be
made region free, but these players are not supported bi OPPO Digital,
Inc

A

Anonymous

Whilst I understand and just about agree with the official stance WHF are taking on the testingÿeligibilityÿof this particular Oppo, can I ask if the website, forum and indeed the magazine is restricted to Europe ?

Clare Newsome

Jun 4, 2007
Visit site
Will Harris:Fair point. They have indeed had a few more cottage industry products in the mag, but none of them tended to threaten the established hierachy of big names. .

Will, I know you subscribe, so will have seen the latest, August, issue, where the stereo-speakers Group Test is won by EB Acoustics, a direct seller start-up company (which offers a money-back guarantee).

Those EB Acoustics speakers beat rivals from huge names like Dali, Dynaudio, Klipsch and Mordaunt-Short.

We've also had awards - Products of the Year, even - won by tiny companies like Vita Audio, Clearer Audio, Leema, Plinius etc, who are a fraction of the size/have fraction of the budgets of the 'big boys'.

We're out to bring you the best, as long as those products meet our review criteria of availability and try-before-you-buy.

hammill

Mar 20, 2008
Visit site
Will Harris:Andrew Everard:

Well, OK, since the CRT Projectors fan-club is so insistent, and has now changed tack from its previous accusations of us bowing to pressure from the well-known manufacturers, I'm going to contact Oppo's European office and get clarification on whether the player the company is selling is an authorised import, and if so authorised by whom.

I'll also be asking Oppo whether CRT offers full servicing of this machine, and whether the modifications it's offering are also authorised by the manufacturer.

I'll report back when I have a reply.

Andrew, Oppo Europe are in fact Oppo Sweden. They don't produce the player. Why would you contact them and not Oppo USA, the actual company? But nonetheless, I'm sure that Oppo Sweden will confirm that all is well with CRT Projectors. CRT are a retailer. What sort of servicing would you expect them to do other than the usual of taking in the player and either returning it to the parent manufacturer for repair or the manufacturers own authorised service centre in the UK? As for the mod, it's at the owners own risk. So no doubt you'll be able to pick holes in the offer if you do you darndest, which you seem to be awfully keen to do. Of course, you'll find out that CRT warranties the machine for 12 months and no-doubt you'll consider that to be substandard when compared to an "official manufacturer authorised" modification. So yes. Go ahead and pick holes and give yourself a few excellent bureaucratic reasons to continue not to test it and therefore keep your readers in the dark. So far you appear to be more keen to do the leg work on why you shouldn't test it, than to get one in and stick it on your test rig. Why can't we go back to the days of embracing products that bust out of the straightjackets the industry sometimes impose. The hardware mod will never be an authorised modification because Oppo are bound by the BluRay Forum rules. So they can't make a multi-region player. So what do you expect to find? Only the obvious. Oppo are unlikely to explicitly state they endorse it or they could have their license removed. What they did do, was leave very easy to use connections inside the player, to supply power and connectivity to any mod someone might like to cunningly add at a later date. Rather good of them if you ask me, and about the nearest you're likely to get to an endorsement of the modification by the manufacturer.

Will, I want a review of the Oppo as much as you do - probably more, since you have already ordered one, so a positive review will just give you a warm feeling wheras it will influence my purchasing decision. Reviews of products like this which I have no chance of personally demoing are a prime reason for me to subscribe to the magazine. However, I would humbly suggest that berating the staff is not the best way to achieve this end.

Clare Newsome

Jun 4, 2007
Visit site
SC:Whilst I understand and just about agree with the official stance WHF are taking on the testing eligibility of this particular Oppo, can I ask if the website, forum and indeed the magazine is restricted to Europe ?

Nope - which is another reason we have to be sure when we review something that there's going to be reasonable availability and support! A positive review from WHF - which if the Oppo is as good as everyone says is a possibility - creates enormous demand for a product. If Will's worried about CRT being overwhelmed by a Forum thread, wait until it's published in a review section.

I'm awaiting this Oppo as eagerly as anyone - i'm itching for a better Blu-ray at home! - but we need to make sure, as ever, we're looking all aspects of the product, and that includes how it's sold and supported.

A

Anonymous

hammill:Will Harris:Andrew Everard:

Well, OK, since the CRT Projectors fan-club is so insistent, and has now changed tack from its previous accusations of us bowing to pressure from the well-known manufacturers, I'm going to contact Oppo's European office and get clarification on whether the player the company is selling is an authorised import, and if so authorised by whom.

I'll also be asking Oppo whether CRT offers full servicing of this machine, and whether the modifications it's offering are also authorised by the manufacturer.

I'll report back when I have a reply.

Andrew, Oppo Europe are in fact Oppo Sweden. They don't produce the player. Why would you contact them and not Oppo USA, the actual company? But nonetheless, I'm sure that Oppo Sweden will confirm that all is well with CRT Projectors. CRT are a retailer. What sort of servicing would you expect them to do other than the usual of taking in the player and either returning it to the parent manufacturer for repair or the manufacturers own authorised service centre in the UK? As for the mod, it's at the owners own risk. So no doubt you'll be able to pick holes in the offer if you do you darndest, which you seem to be awfully keen to do. Of course, you'll find out that CRT warranties the machine for 12 months and no-doubt you'll consider that to be substandard when compared to an "official manufacturer authorised" modification. So yes. Go ahead and pick holes and give yourself a few excellent bureaucratic reasons to continue not to test it and therefore keep your readers in the dark. So far you appear to be more keen to do the leg work on why you shouldn't test it, than to get one in and stick it on your test rig. Why can't we go back to the days of embracing products that bust out of the straightjackets the industry sometimes impose. The hardware mod will never be an authorised modification because Oppo are bound by the BluRay Forum rules. So they can't make a multi-region player. So what do you expect to find? Only the obvious. Oppo are unlikely to explicitly state they endorse it or they could have their license removed. What they did do, was leave very easy to use connections inside the player, to supply power and connectivity to any mod someone might like to cunningly add at a later date. Rather good of them if you ask me, and about the nearest you're likely to get to an endorsement of the modification by the manufacturer.

Will, I want a review of the Oppo as much as you do - probably more, since you have already ordered one, so a positive review will just give you a warm feeling wheras it will influence my purchasing decision. Reviews of products like this which I have no chance of personally demoing are a prime reason for me to subscribe to the magazine. However, I would humbly suggest that berating the staff is not the best way to achieve this end.

You're absolutely right, they just rile me so and I should try and be more professional!

I don't really mind what the review eventually says. I just think that as many people as possible should be given the information needed to make an informed choice. After all, many people DO base their buying decision on WHF's reviews. Usually I do too. I also think that Henry deserves a break for taking the time and trouble to get a mod made up for this machine. Beyond the call of duty and personally I think that deserves a bit of recognition. That's why I keep banging on. But you're right, it's an approach that only ever produces one reaction, the predictable walls fly up and it's me against the mag. Completely counter-productive I know, but I am trying!

Clare, you're right, you have given a lot of column inches to manufacturers I wouldn't describe as mainstream. But I would re-iterate a point I made a number of posts ago, which is that these manufacturers haven't released a machine that in performance per pound stakes is effectively mispriced way too low. If they had, they could have rendered a good swathe of the market, effectively redundant until a price shift occurs. The Oppo does just this. By being available with the functionality it has, and the quality it has, for a price that is effectively undercutting the mainstream manufacturers by a huge margin, it effectively wipes out their ability to claim performance per pound. I can thus understand why you'd be reluctant to highlight this as it's quite disruptive. But the Oppo exists and the consumer is on this occasion getting a blinder of a deal. Something to celebrate, for once I'd say.

A

Anonymous

Clare Newsome:
SC:Whilst I understand and just about agree with the official stance WHF are taking on the testing eligibility of this particular Oppo, can I ask if the website, forum and indeed the magazine is restricted to Europe ?

Nope - which is another reason we have to be sure when we review something that there's going to be reasonable availability and support! A positive review from WHF - which if the Oppo is as good as everyone says is a possibility - creates enormous demand for a product. If Will's worried about CRT being overwhelmed by a Forum thread, wait until it's published in a review section.

I'm awaiting this Oppo as eagerly as anyone - i'm itching for a better Blu-ray at home! - but we need to make sure, as ever, we're looking all aspects of the product, and that includes how it's sold and supported.

I think I'll be calling Henry and asking for a weekend job ;-) hehehe

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
Will Harris:

Andrew, Oppo Europe are in fact Oppo Sweden. They don't produce the player. Why would you contact them and not Oppo USA, the actual company?

Because in all our dealings with Oppo Digital in the past, we have been told to deal with the Oppo operation in Sweden for matters regarding European availability of the products.

Will Harris:But nonetheless, I'm sure that Oppo Sweden will confirm that
all is well with CRT Projectors.

If they do, then all well and good.

Will Harris:CRT are a retailer. What sort of
servicing would you expect them to do other than the usual of taking in
the player and either returning it to the parent manufacturer for
repair or the manufacturers own authorised service centre in the UK?

If the manufacturer's authorised service centre is prepared to honour warranties on these products, even modified products, then that's fine.

Will Harris:
As
for the mod, it's at the owners own risk. So no doubt you'll be able to
pick holes in the offer if you do you darndest, which you seem to be
awfully keen to do. Of course, you'll find out that CRT warranties the
machine for 12 months and no-doubt you'll consider that to be
substandard when compared to an "official manufacturer authorised"
modification. So yes. Go ahead and pick holes and give yourself a few
excellent bureaucratic reasons to continue not to test it and therefore
keep your readers in the dark. So far you appear to be more keen to do
the leg work on why you shouldn't test it, than to get one in and stick
it on your test rig.

I am bored, sick and tired of explaining to you, Mr Harris, that I have been trying to get a sample of this machine for test ever since the moment rumours of it broke. I am sure it's an excellent machine, and in fact have been considering buying one for use in my own system, were it to be any good, so ideal a solution it seems to offer.

Read back in the forums and news coverage on this site, and you'll see the facts rather fly in the face of your groundless, and frankly hysterical, accusations.

However, to suggest buyers purchase a product without a manufacturer's warranty, with modifications made 'at the owners own risk', would be irresponsible for a magazine.

Will Harris:
The hardware mod
will never be an authorised modification because Oppo are bound by the
BluRay Forum rules. So they can't make a multi-region player. So what
do you expect to find? Only the obvious. Oppo are unlikely to
explicitly state they endorse it or they could have their license
removed. What they did do, was leave very easy to use connections
inside the player, to supply power and connectivity to any mod someone
might like to cunningly add at a later date. Rather good of them if you
ask me, and about the nearest you're likely to get to an endorsement of
the modification by the manufacturer.

Many products have additional connections within to allow future upgrades - the addition of different processing solutons, maybe a wireless Ethernet bolt-on, and so on. To suggest such connections are there to facilitate aftermarket modifications is about as speculative as your previous 'bet' that Sony and Denon have been plaguing us with phone calls pressuring us not to review the product in question.

For now, I think I have given both you, and this subject, more than enough of the magazine's time.

As I said, when I have more solid information from Oppo, I will report back.

Clare Newsome

Jun 4, 2007
Visit site
We'd be dancing round the office if we found a true bargain of this nature, Will - definitely something to celebrate!

No reluctance at all to highlight it - hence our continuing news stories on Oppo, contribution to these threads; in-mag reviews of earlier Oppo products.

We just need to be sure we're reviewing a proper product - not a limited-edition mod that it's hard to get hold of/try-before you buy!

A

Anonymous

RodhasGibson:I totally agree, hey Will calm down, take some time out. btw hope you get your oppo soon. enjoy it. Lucky so and so.

Cheers mate, most certainly will :-D

RodhasGibson

Oct 10, 2008
Visit site
Will,
emotion-1.gif
Just out of interest, I have bought 11 blu-ray discs in the last couple of months and 8 of them are region free, from Amazon. Seems more and more studios are now doing this. Good decision that.

A

Anonymous

RodhasGibson:Will,
emotion-1.gif
Just out of interest, I have bought 11 blu-ray discs in the last couple of months and 8 of them are region free, from Amazon. Seems more and more studios are now doing this. Good decision that.

I depends on the studio and sometimes the type of release i.e. back catalogue, new realease. Disney, Fox, Summit, Lionsgate appear staunch supporters of region restrictions whilst other studios appear to vary by release.

Some info here that may help - http://bluray.liesinc.net/

Dasp

pete321

Aug 20, 2008
Visit site
Will Harris:RodhasGibson:I totally agree, hey Will calm down, take some time out. btw hope you get your oppo soon. enjoy it. Lucky so and so. Cheers mate, most certainly will :-D

Mine's coming next week. I hope you realise that if it turns out to be rubbish I'll be blaming you instead of WHF!

A

Anonymous

pete321:
Will Harris:RodhasGibson:I totally agree, hey Will calm down, take some time out. btw hope you get your oppo soon. enjoy it. Lucky so and so. Cheers mate, most certainly will :-D

Mine's coming next week. I hope you realise that if it turns out to be rubbish I'll be blaming you instead of WHF!

Hahahaha, well, I'm in the same boat as you are mate! It's the Arcam I'm just as worried about. The 600 is fairly quirky. Made up for by the astonishing sound quality, but quirky nonetheless. Fingers crossed the Oppo works fine. Rather excited.

Still mulling over getting a very cheap 16inch TV to go beside the coach for the secondary output from the Arcam. Saves running the 50inch plasma when just listening to music and wanting the OSGs to function. Could be very useful for connecting an Apple TV in the future and showing the Oppo's GUI from streaming via USB. But that's all going to have to wait. I'm broke again, post Oppo purchase! LOL.

pete321

Aug 20, 2008
Visit site
Will, don't worry about the AVR600, I've had that since last Friday (got a good deal, paid £3.5k, but got a free Proac Studio Centre worth £650!). That wasn't down to you, I'd already made my own mind up it was the only way to go for a 1-box solution. I must admit, it is pretty bad that they release a product costing £3.5K with as many bugs as it has and the stereo sound isn't as good as I was expecting, albeit I've improved on that with the modded DacMagic. However, I acknowledge it's the best stereo sound 1-box solution out there at the moment.

Claire's comments about support for the Oppo make sense, but WHF fully endorse Sony 'Cloudy' LCD's, Onkyo 'Catch Fire' amps and buggy £3.5K Arcam receivers. Sort of seems a bit hypocritical. I guess if you're talking about support, I suppose Onkyo did acknowledge the problem and had a system to replace and repair, but is it acceptable for £1400 amp - no , and it should have been reviewd as such. Same for Arcam, should knock a star off until it's sorted. Sony, well as far as they're concerend it was never a problem was it, so there was no support!

Clare Newsome

Jun 4, 2007
Visit site
pete321:
Claire's comments about support for the Oppo make sense, but WHF fully endorse Sony 'Cloudy' LCD's, Onkyo 'Catch Fire' amps and buggy £3.5K Arcam receivers. Sort of seems a bit hypocritical.

We certainly don't endorse cloudy Sony LCDs - only the ones that are fine. I can point you to no fewer than three recent Sony reviews (here, here and here) where we've knocked stars off for clouding issues.

The Onkyo issues only, ahem, came to light after we'd tested them - and remain an incredibly limited issue: more urban myth than documented common reality. We've run long-term test units of the Onkyos with no such problems - but then we followed the ventilation guidelines. Oh, and recent Onks haven't been 'fully endorsed', either, as other brands have caught up and exceeded Onkyo performance.

As for the Arcam - yes, it's having teething troubles, but so are lots of other products with HDMI handshakes - we've run stories recently re Onkyo receivers and Panasonic TVs, just for one example. Once products are out in the 'wild', having to deal with the thousands of possible permutations of compatibility, there are bound to be issues to solve. See also Yamaha having issues with Sky HD it's finding a firmware fix for.

Yes, it's not ideal, and yes the issues will be taken into account when we're Awards judging - but we still defy anyone to find a better-sounding all-rounder AV receiver in its price class.

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
OK, here's the official response from Oppo's European operation, in the form of a Q&A:

Q. CRT Projectors says it's an authorised Oppo reseller, but is the US-spec player it's selling an authorised import, or is it a parallel, or 'grey', import? In other words, is Oppo making CRT projectors an official distributor of this machine in the UK?
A. There are a lot of confusion about official distributor in UK. OPPO will soon start a UK company and will be in charge of local operations.

Q. Are the region-free modifications CRT is carrying out authorised by Oppo, or do they invalidate the warranty?
A. OPPO do not authorise any region-free modifications. The Blu-ray player being designed for Europe, is DVD Region 2 and Blu-ray Region B, in order to remain compliant with our BD Association licensing.

Q. Is the warranty being offered supported by Oppo, or not?
A. As far as we are concerned once a player is modified in any way, the warranty is waived.

Q. Are the rumours of a stripped-down BDP-83 being prepared for Europe correct? If so, what is the timeline for this, and will Europe ever get the full-spec 'universal' version?
A. Full version or light version first, that is the question. It is under review. Hopefully by late august, we can send you a Full version sample. You are high on our list of reviewers.

Q. As Oppo Europe is the official distributor of the company's products in Europe, would you be happy for us to review this US-spec modified machine, currently only available from one outlet in the UK?
And if you are, can you arrange with Oppo to supply us with a sample of the player in this spec - ie US-spec, modified to region-free -, so that we may review it?
A. As mentioned earlier, we will remain compliant with our BD Association licensing. We strongly recommend you not to review any modified OPPO machines, which will damage the OPPO brand.

carter

Aug 27, 2008
Visit site
i cant belive this thread is still hear its like a constant reminder what an idiot i am every time i open the home cinema fourum

Big Aura

Oct 13, 2008
Visit site
Andrew Everard:

OK, here's the official response from Oppo's European operation, in the form of a Q&A:

Q. CRT Projectors says it's an authorised Oppo reseller, but is the US-spec player it's selling an authorised import, or is it a parallel, or 'grey', import? In other words, is Oppo making CRT projectors an official distributor of this machine in the UK?
A. There are a lot of confusion about official distributor in UK. OPPO will soon start a UK company and will be in charge of local operations. Hmmm, didn't answer the question...

pete321

Aug 20, 2008
Visit site
From a consumers point of view I guess the main question is how much will the full spec Euro version be? People have commented on the CRT mooded version a £599 against the US version at $499. We tend to get the rough end of the stick anyway with electronics and normal exchange rates don't come into play, i.e. if the BDP-83 sells at $499 in the US, I bet it won't be too much less than £499 in the UK. Assuming that logic to be correct, an extra £100 for hardware modded regin/zone free version ain't too bad. I read recently that one purchaser reported a faulty player to CRT, by the next day a new one was delivered, the following day the faulty one was collected. In that case I think I could live without Oppo support (assuming CRT stay in business for at least 12 months!).

A

Anonymous

pete321:F. Assuming that logic to be correct, an extra £100 for hardware modded regin/zone free version ain't too bad.

If a consumer wishes to have "region free" Blu-ray and DVD player then they are unlikely to be able to purchase from Oppo direct or any other manufacturer on an official basis as this will be in breach of their Blu-ray license. Thus the the issue of "region free modification" and manufacturer warranty exists and IMO it's important to have a warranty that will cover this which CRT provide. Similarly some manufacturers put "official" warranty disclaimers on their products regarding upgrading the players firmware even when it's via an official route.

The reply from Oppo isn't breaking news or telling us anything we don't already know.

Dasp