oppo bluray player out july 1st

Page 6 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.
A

Anonymous

Well, it looks as though we won't be seeing a WHF review until the official European version is released. Seems like a perfectly understandable set of responses from Oppo Sweden. Thanks for writing to them, great to see the proactive side of the whole debate, even if the outcome takes us no closer to a review. In this instant it's pretty clear to see why WHF's hands are tied.

However, YOU all know about this player now and can do your own research as consumers. Henry will at least have a chance of being able to fill his orders because the guy is currently wading through a flood. Many coming from continental Europe. If a magazine review hits, much as Clare stated earlier, poor old Henry will be overwhelmed, so maybe it's in out best interests for now, for this to be a product for those in the know! If you take the plunge then do keep us posted on how you get on and give a review of the player if you can :)

A

Anonymous

Claire,A couple of months ago I posted a note on Oppo website (US) for advance notification on its release. Yesterday I had an e-mail from them giving me the details and specifications. I e-mailed a reply to ask them about a "european" version with full warranty. They replied, stating that they had NO plans to launch a european model, and that CRT were importing US models,but only in US region settings,as not to infringe BD copyright. The warranty on these models,even if NOT HACKED was invalid outside United States borders. I do hope this shed's some light to this forum and leave any purchaser in no doubt where they stand . I'm not saying don't,but be aware, if you've got the cash and are willing to accept the limitations,then "buyer beware" . Personally, I think it may be the "bee's knee's" in Blu-Ray, but as been suggested throughout this forum,I for one will wait.

oldleodensian

Oct 7, 2008
Visit site
Andrew Everard: Which seems as good a place as any to lock this thread.

emotion-21.gif

oh, but then...

emotion-3.gif

Andrew Everard: It'll be back when we have some solid information from Oppo.

Glad to see some further info as I too am curious about this universal player, but...

please, how much more discussion do we need???

A

Anonymous

can anyone tell me if this machine has a built in decoder like the ps3 as this sounds just what im looking for and where can i get one from.

I was quite interested in Oppo initially after reading a lot about it in this forum. But seriously, I was completely put off by fervent support from a couple of members. Oppo no doubt will be a good player, but support for it got so strong....it's almost scary. It felt as if my decisions were being influenced unnecessarily, rather than let me take an informed decision.

This particular thread has been an eye opener for me. Finally I bought a Panasonic with manufacturer's warranty. I didn't want to spend £600 on a player without manufacturer's support, & What Hi Fi is right not to test it without even knowing when it's officially launching in the UK. I would be annoyed if this player was tested & had an excellent review, but won't be able to buy the player officially!

A review nearer to the time of launch is ideal, as it would generate enough interest when the player is officially launched.

A

Anonymous

Bigboss, support is for a review, not solely for the player. Review is a rating of the player, not a recommendation to buy it unofficially. It makes no difference if it is officially available. It exists. If it got a favourable review and generated enough interest, then perhaps Oppo would "officially" satisfy the demand. Getting in early, is no excuse not to review and rate a piece of technology. Being "annoyed" you can't buy one officially is a quandry that only you can solve, either by buying one and making a value judgement on how much emphasis you put on "official" support (when the unofficial support is as good as it is) versus buying another player at another performance per pound level, depending on the WHF findings. No-one will force you to make a judgement one way or the other. Only you can do that.

The_Lhc

Oct 16, 2008
Visit site
Will Harris: (when the unofficial support is as good as it is)

Sorry Will, this is the point where you go beyond reason and into religious fervour.

You've never even tested the "unofficial support". You have no idea what will happen if your player goes wrong, so there's no way you can claim the support to be anything, good or bad.

I'm out.

pete321

Aug 20, 2008
Visit site
bigboss: A review nearer to the time of launch is ideal, as it would generate enough interest when the player is officially launched.

Personally I'm not bothered whether it's reveiwed or not now as I've already bought it! All I can say is WHF gave the Denon DVD2500BT 5 stars at £899, I've owned the Denon (bought for £599), and the Oppo is far better value for money in my living room, from my point of view of course.

the_lhc:

Sorry Will, this is the point where you go beyond reason and into religious fervour.

You've never even tested the "unofficial support". You have no idea what will happen if your player goes wrong, so there's no way you can claim the support to be anything, good or bad.

I'm out.

I second that. The unofficial support is from one person & his shop. There's always a chance that the shop may close down, especially in this economic environment (although I'm sure CRT projectors is doing very well). Then what happens to the warranty? That's why I usually trust only the manufacturer's warranty.....with the exception of John Lewis warranty which is just as reliable in my opinion.

A

Anonymous

bigboss:
I was quite interested in Oppo initially after reading a lot about it in this forum. But seriously, I was completely put off by fervent support from a couple of members. Oppo no doubt will be a good player, but support for it got so strong....it's almost scary. It felt as if my decisions were being influenced unnecessarily, rather than let me take an informed decision.

What's wrong with fervent support if it is honest, how else would people find out about how good the player is? How long have people been banging on about pioneer plasmas without getting bashed for it.

bennyben:bigboss:

What's wrong with fervent support if it is honest, how else would people find out about how good the player is? How long have people been banging on about pioneer plasmas without getting bashed for it.

I agree with you. My point is, that the support got a bit aggressive which had put me off. Although I must admit that this is the main reason for me to keep an eye on the Oppo player when it officially launches, & perhaps buy one in the future. I came to know of the Oppo player through this thread (thanks nodnarb4444!).

skr1

Dec 2, 2007
Visit site
the_lhc:

I'm out.

According to one forum in the US a small number of Oppo 83 have had the same fault -not switch on..

In all cases the unit was replaced very quickly and customers were happy with the service .

I still want one.

A

Anonymous

Day 2 with mine, thrown a few Blu rays, DVDs and SACDs at it and so far so good.

The load times are fantastic, set up is easy and accessories (2GB USB drive, Spears and Munsil set up disc and 6' good quality HDMI cable) make it a very worthwhile buy. Mine is the pre-modded MR/Zone player for £599. Very pleased so far.

pete321

Aug 20, 2008
Visit site
Cooney: Very pleased so far.

It's a great player. What resolution do you have it set on? I'm finding it best in transport mode, i.e. Source Direct for HD materiral and 1080p for SD.

AndrewH13

Mar 3, 2008
Visit site
Highly recommended. Quick, great menus and altering settings while watching films on-the-fly. SACD, DVD-Audio, great picture, and a big black shopping bag. Very good support from Oppo US (although bought in UK) , answering email query very quickly

A

Anonymous

When you're almost a lone voice telling people to give something a try, people say you're over-enthusiastic or fervent in your support. What am I supposed to say, tell you that someone had a bad experience so you think I'm more balanced? Look, this may be a What Hi-Fi thread, but there are other forums, and it's on them that the majority of buyers of the Oppo have exchanged information. We keep each other very well informed of faults, flaws and firmware changes. So far the players have been very reliable, and on the odd occasion when one hasn't the dealer has swapped it out pronto. That's why I'm a supporter. That's why I say the service is great, because it has been for everyone that's needed it. Should I say something negative now to balance out the fact that so far, the whole story is positive? Doubt it if you have to, but in my view and only mine, you're kidding yourself to make yourself feel better if you think that the risks are greater than the benefit. That's MY view, so by all means hold a different one. Wouldn't be a forum if we didn't.

pete321

Aug 20, 2008
Visit site
Will Harris:We keep each other very well informed of faults, flaws

Are there any? I've struggled to find anything to criticise, apart from maybe some more damping on the disc drawer and a less bright 'Oppo' screen image, hardly worth mentioning really.

A

Anonymous

pete321:
Will Harris:We keep each other very well informed of faults, flaws

Are there any? I've struggled to find anything to criticise, apart from maybe some more damping on the disc drawer and a less bright 'Oppo' screen image, hardly worth mentioning really.

Well no, not yet, but we do keep each informed so if there ever was a fault! ;-)

Well, there was the PAL shift issue on dot-for-dot bitmapping, that's been fixed in the new firmware.

You're right, in my experience, there's nothing wrong with the player.

A

Anonymous

Andrew Everard:Which player was that again, Will?
emotion-4.gif

Oh stop it Andrew, it's like someone tickling you with a feather. Picture Andrew in full Mavis outfit from Willo The Wisp, with feather in hand. Now that's what I call a tease. LOL.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts