oppo bluray player out july 1st

Page 7 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
Will Harris:Picture Andrew in full Mavis outfit from Willo The Wisp, with feather in hand. Now that's what I call a tease. LOL.

You keep your fantasies to yourself - this is a family-friendly forum...
emotion-18.gif

hammill

Mar 20, 2008
Visit site
To drag this thread kicking and screaming vaguely back to its subject.....

Q1 I thought that the multi region capability required a firmware update. How does this work with firmware updates from Oppo, which will remove the multi region capability? Have they been kept in sync?

Q2 Sites are offering a multi region firmware update that does not require new hardware. Why does the currently available UK multi region mod include a hardware update?

Thanks

A

Anonymous

hammill:

Q1 I thought that the multi region capability required a firmware update. How does this work with firmware updates from Oppo, which will remove the multi region capability? Have they been kept in sync?

Q2 Sites are offering a multi region firmware update that does not require new hardware. Why does the currently available UK multi region mod include a hardware update?

Thanks

Basically, every time Oppo release new firmware, somebody somewhere has to make a multi-region version of it which takes time. The hardware mod, however, enables multi-region playback regardless of the firmware installed so there's no need to worry about updating it and losing your region-free capabilities.

hammill

Mar 20, 2008
Visit site
AgentCool:hammill:

Thanks

Basically, every time Oppo release new firmware, somebody somewhere has to make a multi-region version of it which takes time. The hardware mod, however, enables multi-region playback regardless of the firmware installed so there's no need to worry about updating it and losing your region-free capabilities.

Thank you. That makes the mod worth considering. Otherwise, it would be reasonable to buy the undmodified player from the US and load the multi region firmware on to it.

A

Anonymous

hammill:Thank you. That makes the mod worth considering. Otherwise, it would be reasonable to buy the undmodified player from the US and load the multi region firmware on to it.

I've got the modded player and you can update the firmware and also roll it back to a previous one if you need to without having to make any changes to the mod. It retains the region choice you made before you changed the firmware. I've updated firmware once and all works perfectly.

As said above, if you use the multi-region firmware instead of the mod, you have to wait for the new firmware to be hacked and re-written each time Oppo release a new update. If you want the new firmware that is.

There have been dodgy MR firmware releases from less reliable sources, so I prefer the hardware mod. This way I can stick to Oppo's official firmware as and when it's released. Of course, you can always upgrade to the mod yourself at a later date if you get fed up with using hacked firmware. It's supposedly fairly easy to install yourself. Personally I let CRT do it for me, but their are instructions that come with the mod if you buy it by itself, so it's always a future upgrade path.

HD Elvis

Jan 9, 2009
Visit site
Will Harris:hammill:Thank you. That makes the mod worth considering. Otherwise, it would be reasonable to buy the undmodified player from the US and load the multi region firmware on to it. I've got the modded player and you can update the firmware and also roll it back to a previous one if you need to without having to make any changes to the mod. It retains the region choice you made before you changed the firmware. I've updated firmware once and all works perfectly. As said above, if you use the multi-region firmware instead of the mod, you have to wait for the new firmware to be hacked and re-written each time Oppo release a new update. If you want the new firmware that is. There have been dodgy MR firmware releases from less reliable sources, so I prefer the hardware mod. This way I can stick to Oppo's official firmware as and when it's released. Of course, you can always upgrade to the mod yourself at a later date if you get fed up with using hacked firmware. It's supposedly fairly easy to install yourself. Personally I let CRT do it for me, but their are instructions that come with the mod if you buy it by itself, so it's always a future upgrade path.

What if you just bought a un modded region A player with the latest f.w installed, then initiated the hack and left it with that f.w. Is there a constant need to keep updating. I haven't updated my 983's f.w since purchase?

A

Anonymous

pete321:
Cooney: Very pleased so far.

It's a great player. What resolution do you have it set on? I'm finding it best in transport mode, i.e. Source Direct for HD materiral and 1080p for SD.

I tried source direct and let my Denon 2808 upscale DVD, then let my 5090 upscale, then left it with the OPPO doing the upscaling and set to 1080P with 'forced' 24fps.

As for Blu ray, I tried both source direct and 1080P 24fps. In the end I stuck to 1080P 24fps.

A

Anonymous

Will Harris:When you're almost a lone voice telling people to give something a try, people say you're over-enthusiastic or fervent in your support. What am I supposed to say, tell you that someone had a bad experience so you think I'm more balanced? Look, this may be a What Hi-Fi thread, but there are other forums, and it's on them that the majority of buyers of the Oppo have exchanged information. We keep each other very well informed of faults, flaws and firmware changes. So far the players have been very reliable, and on the odd occasion when one hasn't the dealer has swapped it out pronto. That's why I'm a supporter. That's why I say the service is great, because it has been for everyone that's needed it. Should I say something negative now to balance out the fact that so far, the whole story is positive? Doubt it if you have to, but in my view and only mine, you're kidding yourself to make yourself feel better if you think that the risks are greater than the benefit. That's MY view, so by all means hold a different one. Wouldn't be a forum if we didn't.

I'm with you on this one Will. As owners we know the benefits and we also are aware of the great after sales service available. I don't think it makes us 'fanboys' by just praising a product from our own experience. I'm sure that like myself, you would quickly point out any negaytive points to owning one of these.

I do find this player disappointing in one respect - it does everything so well and I never have to adjust settings so I feel a touch cheated! Ha Ha! I've paid £600 for a piece of equipment that doesn't require any messing - I now have to just concentrate on watching Blu rays (watchmen DC with digital copy and dual language cover at the moment)!

skr1

Dec 2, 2007
Visit site
emotion-1.gif
Well I must admit OPPO USA and CRT UK ,,,,Get 10/10 Well Done For Customer service and,,,, Give /Send a learning curve for Others!

That all depends on IF,,,, They Reply/Answer.

pete321

Aug 20, 2008
Visit site
Cooney: I tried source direct and let my Denon 2808 upscale DVD, then let my 5090 upscale, then left it with the OPPO doing the upscaling and set to 1080P with 'forced' 24fps.

As for Blu ray, I tried both source direct and 1080P 24fps. In the end I stuck to 1080P 24fps.

I've noticed the odd stutter during DVD 1080p upscaled playback if I turn the DVD 24fps on, ironically, I seem to be getting smoother playback with the DVD 24fps conversion off. Either way, the DVD picture is blowing me away, it's not far short of blu-ray quality without the HD audio.

A

Anonymous

pete321:Cooney: I tried source direct and let my Denon 2808 upscale DVD, then let my 5090 upscale, then left it with the OPPO doing the upscaling and set to 1080P with 'forced' 24fps.

I've noticed the odd stutter during DVD 1080p upscaled playback if I turn the DVD 24fps on, ironically, I seem to be getting smoother playback with the DVD 24fps conversion off. Either way, the DVD picture is blowing me away, it's not far short of blu-ray quality without the HD audio.

Hi Pete321, I probably haven't watched enough DVDs yet and the majority that I have watched have been music DVDs. I can't say that I have noticed any stutter with 24fps though.

I agree that DVDs do look very good on this machine but for me, there is still a considerable gap to Blu ray.

A

Anonymous

HD Elvis:
What if you just bought a un modded region A player with the latest f.w installed, then initiated the hack and left it with that f.w. Is there a constant need to keep updating. I haven't updated my 983's f.w since purchase?

HD Elvis, personally, I think that there are likely to be firmware improvements every 2 or 3 months for the next year. This player is new, was launched officially in the States in July and as with all BluRay and HDMI products faces occasional compatability issues that certain disks throw up. These are usually fixed in firmware updates. The functionality and overall performance have been increasing incrementally with each new firmware edition so if it were me (and it was me) I'd buy it with the hardware mod (and I did).

HD Elvis

Jan 9, 2009
Visit site
Will Harris:HD Elvis:

HD Elvis, personally, I think that there are likely to be firmware improvements every 2 or 3 months for the next year. This player is new, was launched officially in the States in July and as with all BluRay and HDMI products faces occasional compatability issues that certain disks throw up. These are usually fixed in firmware updates. The functionality and overall performance have been increasing incrementally with each new firmware edition so if it were me (and it was me) I'd buy it with the hardware mod (and I did).

Cheers Will, the 83 has been on my most wanted list for some time. Was planning on getting one on day of release from CRT however a potential house move has delayed said expenditure. Having said that the 3800 now at £795 is making me think twice.

A

Anonymous

HD Elvis:Will Harris:HD Elvis:

Cheers Will, the 83 has been on my most wanted list for some time. Was planning on getting one on day of release from CRT however a potential house move has delayed said expenditure. Having said that the 3800 now at £795 is making me think twice.

Well, I put them up against each other before I chose the Oppo. If you want multi-region, ability to play SACD and DVD-A and don't want to be sitting there just waiting for the darned thing to move because it's so slow, then buy the Oppo. If you want a Denon, then buy the Denon, the picture and sound on BluRay over HDMI were identical. That's why I didn't buy the Denon and still wouldn't. Not even if they cost the same, because the Oppo does more.

A

Anonymous

HD Elvis:Exactly the same over HDMI?? Wow, thats impressive when you consider the price. Was this on a 1080p panel? What about SD?

This was on a Pioneer KRP600M and we tested SD and BD.

It is not as big of a surprise as you might think. People are ever so sentimental when they think about brands and really you shouldn't be. If they stack up, then great, but buying on price is just falling for the big brands propaganda.

Oppo were already considered to have produced the best SD upscaler around in the DV-983H. So amoungst enthusiasts their BD offering was keenly awaited and it too is outstanding on SD upscaling, so no surprises there. On BluRay 1080p you're getting the native resolution of the disc and there was NO difference between the Denon and the Oppo. Nor should there be. Why would that surprise anyone? The Oppo is only doing what all BluRay players should be able to do which is send source direct to the screen. No processing required. Just don't muck up the "0"s and "1"s on the way and it doesn't.

Neither playing BluRays or upscaling SD material should be remotely hard and the Oppo does both brilliantly. So does the Denon. But as the Oppo has a bundle of other useful features that the Denon does not, I'd opt for the Oppo without hesitation. I tried popping some music on a flash memory stick a few days ago and stuck it in the Oppo's front USB slot. Amazing. Great interface and it streamed to my Arcam and sounded much better than plugging my iPod directly into my amp. Amp's DACs did all the work. Oppo give you 2 USB slots, one front and one back. So if you have an external hard drive (FAT format only) you can plug it in at the rear and use it to stream photos, music, short movies. Bit of a damn shame it doesn't support NTFS but you can't have everything I guess.

Last thing, wouldn't you like to be one of the few who makes up their own mind and doesn't blindly follow the herd? Try, if you can, to audition for yourself and make up your own mind. I can tell you my own experience, but please don't just be lead like a lamb to the slaughter by simply looking at the price and choosing kit based on that. Denon will love you for ever if you do, but you'll be missing some right royal bargains.

Tom Moreno

Nov 30, 2008
Visit site
Will Harris:On BluRay 1080p you're getting the native resolution of the disc and there was NO difference between the Denon and the Oppo. Nor should there be. Why would that surprise anyone? The Oppo is only doing what all BluRay players should be able to do which is send source direct to the screen. No processing required. Just don't muck up the "0"s and "1"s on the way and it doesn't.

This just isn't true. Why is it that everybody believes that just because a file is stored digitally that there is no processing required to get the contents of said file onto your telly-box? All DVDs and BDs contain digital video that has been stored on a disc packed in a compressed format. If you were to take the VC1, Mpeg4 or Mpeg2 data and spit it at a screen you would get nothing but gobbledigook. ALL of the video performance of the player is down to the ability and implementation of the hardware within it to decode this packed video information and properly format it for transmission via the uncompressed HDMI link to the Monitor/AVR. Now it very well may be that both of these players do an equivalently excellent job at the aforementioned process, but spinning the old myth that BDs are all just a bunch of 1s and 0s an that all players are just passing the same info along to the screen is not only incorrect, but also reduces your often well constructed arguments to the kind of digital evangelism that Andrew is referring to.

pete321

Aug 20, 2008
Visit site
There definately are diferences in HD playback, I could notice less noise and generally sharper picture on blu-ray playback from my previous Denon DVD-2500BT and my current Oppo BDP-83 when compared to my Sony BDP-S350. However, for HD playback alone, those differences aren't massive compared to the extra cost, e.g. £400+ for the Denon & Oppo. In which case it comes down to what else can the more expensive players offer over a good budget blu-ray player, not that much in the case of the 2500BT in my opinion.

HD Elvis

Jan 9, 2009
Visit site
pete321:

There definately are diferences in HD playback, I could notice less noise and generally sharper picture on blu-ray playback from my previous Denon DVD-2500BT and my current Oppo BDP-83 when compared to my Sony BDP-S350. However, for HD playback alone, those differences aren't massive compared to the extra cost, e.g. £400+ for the Denon & Oppo. In which case it comes down to what else can the more expensive players offer over a good budget blu-ray player, not that much in the case of the 2500BT in my opinion.

I have to say I agree Pete. There is no way a Pio lx91 provides the same HD pq over hdmi as a ps3 for example. Forget the 1's and 0's argument. Yes its numbers that go in but what comes out depends on the guts of a player IMHO.

skr1

Dec 2, 2007
Visit site
Andrew Everard:
You're not a TV evangelist in your spare time, are you Will?

You really are beginning to stray over the line between enthusiasm and pitching now...

Comes under Equality and Diversty ?

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts