Oppo BDP-831?

Page 44 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.
A

Anonymous

There's never all this mucking about with the latest Harry Potter release...

Maybe we could all queue up outside Oppo HQ dressed as capacitors.

DF

A

Anonymous

I've reserved it in a Oppo dealer close to where I live (Venice-Italy). It's a 831 of course.

TKratz

Jun 13, 2008
Visit site
mooney0581: I even question my doctor when he prescribes some pills - do I really need it, would homeopatic drugs be enough

It certainly won't! You might as well draw some tap water, it is about the same and just as effective...

Questioning the expertise of doctors is what get's people killed.

mooney0581: (I am not sure he is not under influence of drug making companies
emotion-5.gif
) to sell those particular pills.

Sure he is. He receives millions each year to make you take these expensive pills, which doesn't work nearly as good as the cheaper ones from the competitor.

And by the way, Pharmaceutical companies are controlled by aliens. Drugs are only a ways to experiment on you and keep you in control...

Sorry for the off-topic.

A

Anonymous

could somebody please tell me - is it possible with the Oppo to connect to my AV amp via HDMI - but connect the SACD direct to my stereo amp? Otherwise I don't think I would benefit from it as all music through mhy AV amp is poor in comparison. Thanks

aliEnRIK

Aug 27, 2008
Visit site
Ginder:
It may just be a blu ray player but as this thread shows nearly 67000 are apparently interested in it.

But a certain percentage of (Certainly NOT 67000) are defending it with their lives like they feel theyve been conned simply because WHF have rated another product above it

whoopie doo

A

Anonymous

surely its fair enough to point out perceived anomalies in the review

thats different to being conned entirely

aliEnRIK

Aug 27, 2008
Visit site
one off:

And what 'perceived anomolies' are those?

WHF feel the sony has the slightly better picture quality, and definitely better with cd playback. Whats wrong with that?

pete321

Aug 20, 2008
Visit site
pjeast73: could somebody please tell me - is it possible with the Oppo to connect to my AV amp via HDMI - but connect the SACD direct to my stereo amp.

Yes, the Oppo can onboard decode DSD so you can connect it via analogues to your stereo amp. However, I've tried a stereo SACD via the Oppo's analogues to my now replaced Arcam AVR600. I found the analogue results to be disappointing, not particularly dynamic, it's a completely different story via HDMI

A

Anonymous

[Edited by mods- please do not discuss moderation]

I standby my previous remarks that the Oppo is an awesome unit, and that whathifi is the only review that I have come across that has brought up these negative remarks about the unit.

Plenty of other respected 5 star reviews on the net from many other magazines and sites from around the world . Make up your own mind.

My previous 5 star Pioneer BDP51fd was far from a 5 star performer in my view. Slow, clumsy, painful in use.

Make sure you try the Oppo unit yourself, and make up your own mind. Disappointing whathifi.

(How long until this is removed, or will it even be printed!!)

A

Anonymous

aliEnRIK:one off:

And what 'perceived anomolies' are those?

WHF feel the sony has the slightly better picture quality, and definitely better with cd playback. Whats wrong with that?

I dont think theres any other review that goes on to review a different product midway through like the oppo review does lol

A

Anonymous

Andrew Everard:It's not halfway through, it's at the end, and it occupies just two out of twelve paragraphs.

LOL thanks for correcting and backing up my statement Andrew
emotion-4.gif

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
I did the former, not the latter. It's merely a comparison with the obvious price-competition, as would happen with any product. So I'm not sure what all the LOL is about...

A

Anonymous

bigboss:That's a new one on me! I was under the impression that Oppo only sells its products online, & not through any dealer.

In Italy we have multi brand dealers that are reselling Oppo as well

Clare Newsome

Jun 4, 2007
Visit site
Andrew Everard:There are no anomalies, and I really don't know what apparently clever point you think you're trying to make...

Indeed. As mentioned a gazillion times, all our reviews are comparative, and the class-leading products often get a direct mention, as well as being referenced in the 'Also consider' panels in-mag and online.

For example, on the opposite page to the Oppo review in the Awards issue is a First Test of the Epson EH-TW2900 projector, which includes the line.."In this regard, Sanyo's same-priced PLV-Z700 edges the Epson, the Sanyo also appearing a little crisper in some scenes".

Now, in isolation, that Epson is stunning, but put it up against the Sanyo and it just gets pipped; hence a four-star review for the superb but not-quite-the-best Epson and five stars (and an Award win) for the Sanyo.,

A

Anonymous

Area 51 exists and aliens crashed in Roswell, oh sorry thought this was a forum on conspiracy theories!

TKratz

Jun 13, 2008
Visit site
Ginder:Just one more question..as the oppo sends info of the disc to the display without onboard processing in its source direct mode then any noise etc is present on the disc and if the 760 is cleaning that up then surely you are removing something the director has intentionally left on the disc??

This is actually a very good point Ginder. What is considered the superior picture? The original ùcorrectù one or the modified one? It might be that the latter looks smoother, but who are we to judge? The filmmaker has made the original picture for a reason. He or she believes the movie should like like this, and the viewer should not - in my opinion - change that.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts