Oppo BDP-831?

Page 46 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

AndrewH13

Mar 3, 2008
Visit site
"Jumping the gun??? Oh that's rich"

It really was a joke!!! Cant believe you both took it serious especially as I added I have one from months ago! No, the early moans on the thread were all that you were delaying publishing, you cant have forgotten that already?

AndrewH13

Mar 3, 2008
Visit site
Jonathan_E:

I'm fairly sure that AndrewH's jumping the gun comment was made with tongue firmly embedded in cheek, chaps.

That's how I read it anyway.

(Nice button pushing, though AndrewH...
emotion-5.gif
)

Thanks Jonathan! Blimey!!!

A

Anonymous

hammill:Ginder:What about the Oppo 83?Another £130 and out of stock

Not so pricey if you just modify the firmware

Tom Moreno

Nov 30, 2008
Visit site
Clare Newsome:Tom Moreno:
The bummer is that I really do want a universal player and now it looks as though the entry level option in the UK will be either the Marantz or Denon decks or the Cambridge Audio one whenever we get some more info on that.

Due to see CA on November 10th - hope to get more info then.

Looking forward to the news.

Clare Newsome

Jun 4, 2007
Visit site
AndrewH13:

It really was a joke!!! Cant believe you both took it serious especially as I added I have one from months ago! No, the early moans on the thread were all that you were delaying publishing, you cant have forgotten that already?

Erm, no, hence me going onto say "considering the hectoring nature of this thread for us to review the damn thing.... "
emotion-4.gif

And you may have been joking, but there's plenty of people - on this thread and elsewhere - that read everything as 'straight', so we have to clarify our position. Sigh.

AndrewH13

Mar 3, 2008
Visit site
Yes, but I added in same post 'glad I bought one months ago' so was hardly going to be upset at Finally seeing blog/review!

Clare Newsome:AndrewH13:

Erm, no, hence me going onto say "considering the hectoring nature of this thread for us to review the damn thing.... "
emotion-4.gif

And you may have been joking, but there's plenty of people - on this thread and elsewhere - that read everything as 'straight', so we have to clarify our position. Sigh.

hammill

Mar 20, 2008
Visit site
NayTyson:

So that just gives you multi-region dvd or is that multi region Blu-Ray also? DO you have to preform tricks on the remote everytime you use it?

AndrewH13

Mar 3, 2008
Visit site
hammill:NayTyson:

So that just gives you multi-region dvd or is that multi region Blu-Ray also? DO you have to preform tricks on the remote everytime you use it?

Gives both Region-free DVD, and BluRay that requires code ONLY if you want to change region. So if you mainly watch R2 you would only have to put in code for a R1 and then back next time for R2.

A

Anonymous

hammill:NayTyson:

No codes at all, think that's for the hardware mod. DVD and Blu ray region free.

Edit - sorry Andrew is right just tested a region A locked one on mine! you need to input the code but only for blu ray.

A

Anonymous

Big Aura:
any sign of Will?

*is fully aware that is the equivalent of saying "Candyman" five times while looking into a mirror*

I'm restricting myself to only replying once in every five or so times I'd like to. As much as a service to everyone else, as a lesson in self discipline!

I think by now, everyone knows what options exist out there. They know what to buy if a Universal player is a must have, with multi region and a lightening fast operating system. But they also know and I have no beef with this, that if it's just BD, DVD and CD they want and are not bothered about the other advantages of the Oppo, then in my view, a Sony S350 would be my pick, over HDMI or 2ch analogue. Rather impressed with that little Sony box!

hammill

Mar 20, 2008
Visit site
AndrewH13:hammill:NayTyson:

Gives both Region-free DVD, and BluRay that requires code ONLY if you want to change region. So if you mainly watch R2 you would only have to put in code for a R1 and then back next time for R2.
Sounds interesting. May I ask where you got the modified firmware?

A

Anonymous

hammill:AndrewH13:hammill:NayTyson:

not sure i can post it but 'oppo region free firmware' in google will do the trick

hammill

Mar 20, 2008
Visit site
NayTyson:hammill:AndrewH13:hammill:NayTyson:

not sure i can post it but 'oppo region free firmware' in google will do the trick

Thanks. So I assume it is the first one I come to? If it is that easy, I wonder why people bother with the hardware mod

A

Anonymous

The region free firmware is based on the firmware that was released by Oppo a few months ago. Oppo are very good at listening to what their customers want and frequently update the firmware to meet customers needs and requests (and to generally improve player performance). Who knows if any more of Oppo's recent or future firmware updates will be hacked for region free capablilites, that's the reason for going with the hardware mod. I have always used the modified firmware without any problems so it doesn't bother me.

TKratz

Jun 13, 2008
Visit site
NayTyson:Oppo are very good at listening to what their customers want and frequently update the firmware to meet customers needs and requests

Except launching the damn thing!

A

Anonymous

TKratz:
NayTyson:Oppo are very good at listening to what their customers want and frequently update the firmware to meet customers needs and requests

Except launching the damn thing!

I said customers not potential BDP-831 customers
emotion-2.gif

A

Anonymous

[EDITED BY MODS - HOUSE RULES. AND YES, WE POSTED THAT STORY YESTERDAY]

So it's been pulled indefinitely.

aliEnRIK

Aug 27, 2008
Visit site
Robbie the Lawyer:
[EDITED BY MODS - HOUSE RULES. AND YES, WE POSTED THAT STORY YESTERDAY]

So it's been pulled indefinitely.

Its a bit of an odd one to me as whilst they do say that they also say ~ "We apologize to the customers who love and support OPPO all along and
have been waiting for the release of BDP-831 patiently, and hope we can
come back with better planning and resources in the future to serve our
customers the best
."

So either they do plan to release it sometime or theyre just saying they hope it doesnt all fall down a hole in the floor NEXT time they plan to release something

carter

Aug 27, 2008
Visit site
i would say oppo have already let down there customers.i dont think i would go near one now and not just because thay look like thay cost about £30.

i have only been really into this hobby for about 3 years and i cant remember a more anticipated product in that admittedly short time.what a let down

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
nodnarb4444:not just because thay look like thay cost about £30.

In the 'flesh', 'thay' look rather better built than that. The pictures don't do the player justice.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts