Looking for a player/transporter for my local files

Mons_Ita

May 21, 2024
Visit site
Hello everybody,

My name is Filippo and I’m writing from Italy; after searching for a while (and without finding many solutions, like the topping m50 which isnt in production anymore) I decided to ask for help from who knows better and more than me :)

In my actual set up my FIIO M9 (and its 512gb microsd) is my main source - coax to Burton composer 3xp and then to my preamp - and I’m really happy about how everything sounds….BUT since FIIO’s app is a real pain in the ass (keeps losing wifi, doesn’t really sync playlists, playlists can only be done thru the M9 etc etc) its not really handy to control music since instead doing it from the app and my phone it ends up that I have to stand up and operate directly from the M9.

Basically Im looking for something (how would you call it?Player?Transporter?) to play ONLY my local files (not interested in streaming from tidal, Spotify etc etc) without having to use my macbook pro to access the music in my hd and to be able to control it with an app from my phone (android).
This “something” should have an usb IN to plug my 4tb hd (where all my music is), a usb OUT and coax OUT to feed the Burson Composer 3xp and a decent, usable app for android (a bonus would be some integration with my macboob pro to, for example, work on my playlists)
What it shouldn’t have is a built in DAC and other stuff related to streaming that I don’t need so to keep the budget as human as possible.

Any suggestion??

Of course whatever ill end up doing or adding it doesn’t have to affect the audio quality I have now ; if anything, I would like to improve it, infact since the M9 act as source and is battery powered i have really no noise, interferences or hum of any kind

Looking forward to hear what your suggestions will be and if you need any further info please do not hesitate to ask.

Tnx in advance to anybody who will help :)

Ciao e grazie,

Filippo.

Mons_Ita

May 21, 2024
Visit site
Welcome,

This might fit the bill about 600 GBP here.

Hopefully I have understood correctly!
Tnx a lot, really nice find and piece of kit; only worry is the eddict app, from what im reading looks like its affected from some of the issues i have with the fiio app.

Reactions: twinkletoes

Mons_Ita

May 21, 2024
Visit site
Fiio R7 and plug your 4TB hard drive into that.

It's a bit confusing because you say the M9 is your source in part of the post, but in another part it's the files on the 4TB Hard Drive.
Tnx a lot for the hint, i thought about the r7 but i feel like im spending lots of money for a lot of hardware and features im not going to use.
About the M9 and the 4tb hd you are absolutely right, i omitted a passage: if i menage to find the right hardware i would ditch the M9 as source to switch to my 4tb hd where i have all my files without being limited to the 512 gb microsd.

twinkletoes

Tnx a lot, really nice find and piece of kit; only worry is the eddict app, from what im reading looks like its affected from some of the issues i have with the fiio app.
It’s constantly being updated I believe if that’s any consolation , I doubt you would us the app all that much,Edit looks like you would reading above, but the purchase decision is completely up you.

Schitt also do a cd transport that’s similar but a lot more expansive. And the usb can currently only be used with there dac as an output

There arnt that many transports with usb

Mons_Ita

May 21, 2024
Visit site
Morning everybody :)
after few days of search and reading i believe i slimmed down the list to these 2:

- Project stream box s2 ultra - you can find one of these for 420 euros (including shipping) now on amazon
- Shanling ET3 - around 650 euros shipping included

Now my question is: price aside, which of the 2 you guys think has the better quality/components and therefore from which one i could expect to get the best audio out of?
The stream box s2 ultra has great reviews (both from users and reviewers) while ive read some "concerns" about the usb out of the ET3 about jitter/clock not at the same quality of the other outputs (upsampling to dsd isnt possible with usb out for example)

Looking forward to read your opinions and ciao :)

Filippo.

skinnypuppy71

Aug 10, 2021
Visit site
Maybe have a look at the Novafidelity n15d....I'm not exactly sure what your after but the little n15d has a slot for a 2.5 inch ssd /up to 4tb I think and can stream from that as well as your local files, also takes a hdd plugged straight into it....absolute excellent little box that sounds fantastic.

Mons_Ita

May 21, 2024
Visit site
Maybe have a look at the Novafidelity n15d....I'm not exactly sure what your after but the little n15d has a slot for a 2.5 inch ssd /up to 4tb I think and can stream from that as well as your local files, also takes a hdd plugged straight into it....absolute excellent little box that sounds fantastic.
Wow tnx a lot, that would be near perfect if it only had a usb out...

TRENDING THREADS