Onkyo Digital Media Transport NDS-1 / DACMagic

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hi I purchased the above two weeks ago to replace my ID10 analogue dock.

The sound quality improvement was like turning an overcast day into a sunny one. However on Friday night I noticed a wierd slight popping noise in the background following an Ipod firmware update and some additional music.

Naturally I assumed that the firmware update or the new tracks were at fault but after resetting the ipod and listening to some tracks that were known to be fine. I realised that this was just a coincidence when I connected my notebook direct to my DACMagic and reverting back to my ID10 which sound fine. Fortunately I also purchased a better quality optical cable than supplied, so I have swapped this to eliminate from the equation.

Therefore I can only assume that the NDS1 has developed a fault.

I cant think what has caused this except a chip beginning to break down. Any thoughts?

Dan Turner

Jul 9, 2007
Visit site
Based on what you said you tried it could be either the Onkyo dock or a problem with the ipod's digital output following the firmware update. Borrow another ipod (but not the same model on the same firmware version) if you can, stick that in the Onkyo and see if you still get the problem - that should narrow it down further.

A

Anonymous

Yes the only two elements it could have been was either the Onkyo dock or the digital output from the ipod.

I have picked up a replacement Onkyo dock this morning and the problem is still there so can only be the digital output from the ipod. The popping is not only there on stored tracks but also on the Last FM app and is only present when there is audio but nothing between tracks. Strange as the analogue is absolutley fine.

Remind me never to do a firmware update again....

Any ideas on the fix for this as I have tried a hard reset and restoring default settings?

I guess restore the last firmware but not sure how to achieve this.

bwv572

Aug 20, 2006
Visit site
I've noticed the same thing since the last iPod update. When I'm back home, I'll try again using the Classic instead of the iPod Touch and see what happens.

A

Anonymous

Looks like I am not the only one to suffer this issue according to the Apple site. Many owners are looking to downgrade the firmware as that apparently is the issue but you cannot.

Really disappointed as only had the ipod as a birthday present last month....feel like putting it in the bin and using something else.

First Apple product and will be the last if this is the dodgy updates they put out.

TRENDING THREADS