OK, new title: Which Earphones?

Alec

Oct 8, 2007
Visit site
for the decision as to which in ear 'phones to buy.

Let me declare that I have a (probably irrational, certainly instinctive and not based on experience) preference for Senheiser (they're Senheiser afterall) and Jays (that non-tangle gimmick). I also like the look of both; not too flashy.

I'd like them to have a mic and volume control and, while the aforementioned companies make earphones that ostensibly meet my requirements at a reasonable price, (I'm thinking around £50), they are "optimized" for iThings, and I don't have any of those. I've also read one review that said when used with a Blackberry (which I alos don't have), the sound did not go through them, but just came out the phone's speakers instead.

So I guess I doubt either of the above would be useful for someone who will mainly ise them with a Nexus 7. I may get an MP3 player in future (likely to be an iPod actually, but I haven't looked around much yet, nor even convinced myself I want one...Might even get a Pure "personal radio" type thing at some point, and wouldn't rule out using them with my phone, though I've never used headphones with a phone yet. So, it's just radion/youtube, maybe downoaded usic on the Nexus as yet, but they should be as versatile as possible just in case.

So, what shall I get? If I'm looking fro too much, I may just get a basic, no frills pair by a respectable brand.

SteveR750

Perfect timing!

I'm sat in a hotle room, spotify pounding my ears through a brand new pair of ear buds, of which I now own more than i do watches or bikes!

I was about to write a mini review, so might as well do here. I started with a pair of CX300 (your beloved sennys), then some Beyer DT101 (the cheaper ones without a mic) and now these an impulse purchase at Heathrow T1 this afternoon of etymotic HF3

I should point out that I only really ever use ear buds when travelling on planes which is an occupational hazard for me, but certainly not a daily event. All of my listening is done off my phone playing spotify "Extreme Quality" (lol) downloaded tracks. Given the noisy environment, relative volume is critical, which is why I use ear buds, and not low sensitivity grado 80s from my home set up.....

Build Quality

All about the same, no obvikous difference, nothing about any of them that would make you feel great about owning them, if that matters. none have come apart at the seams either, the sennys have had a rough life as its been a couple of years of travelling. The Beyers about 9 months, the Etys are on their first trip.

Ease of fit

Sennys by a mile. Stuff them in, makes no difference how, sound is always consistent

The beyers are more fussy, too deep and the bud compresses, and the bass disappears. get them right and you can feel your chest pounding to Iron Maiden..well to the freebie wine and your generous in flight "snack-o-meal".

Etys are frankly disturbing, I'm worried from an H&S perspective. The fact they come with 3 different designs of bud, and 4 different in total makes you suspicious that even ety don't quite know how to make them work...I am currently using the standard slim buds, jammed so far into my ear acanal they are practically making a direct connection with my ear drum; I'd hate to fall asleep with these things rammed so far in my ears.

Comfort

As above. Unsurpringly, the etys are like wearing a pair of wellys a size too small for the whole of Glastonbury. Sober. It constantly feels like your ears need to adjust for air pressure.

Sound

CX300s are great for the £20 or so, but once you listen to the Beyers, you realise where the extra £40 goes. For £65 or so from Amazon the BD's are brilliant. Big sound, much punchier than my Grado 80s in the bass, but, they are less agile, and slightly close mid / uppers - not much sheen to the sound. The Etys are a bit of a mixed bag for me so far, bearing in mind I'm assessing them after only about 2 hours use, so not run in yet. They have much more detail than the other two, and the Grados by some margin - Pink Floyd fans will love them. Trouble is, they have no real bass depth at all. No real sense of slam or impact; great tune and rhythm but as a rock fan I'm underwhelmed. They are to me slightly anaemic, like Cyrus amps. I'm hoping they will improve massivly with a) running in, and b) the custom ear moulds as these are at best uncomfortable, worst dangerous.

Price

£20 Sennys

£65 BD

£142 Etys (I did say impulse purchase)

John Duncan

I'm using hf3s at the moment, and like them. Not as good as the E4Ps I had before they broke, but good enough. I actually find their flange earbuds some of the comfiest out of those I've tried (Senns and Shure mostly). Do you want me to see if they work the volume on the Nexus?

EDIT - they don't.

SteveR750

A few hours later and I'm not so sure. The flange buds are the only ones that seal for me, but they both make my ears ache after about half an hour, which can't be healthy. I still can't get used to bass lite presentation, I really do like a bit of slam. Mind you, as far as detail goes, they are much better than my Grado 80s. Maybe they just need a lot more burning in...

I also realised that HF3 are for iPhone, the HF2 for Android. Never seen the HF2 on sale, boringly HF3 everywhere (Made for Android? :roll: )

TRENDING THREADS