AVI DM5 first impressions / review

steve_1979

Jul 14, 2010
Visit site
So I've spent a few hours listening to them now and I have to say that I'm very very impressed. They are probably the most pleasant sounding and easiest to listen to speakers that I know of. Without a doubt some of the finest that I've heard. It's a similar experience to Quested monitors. They are incredibly detailed and yet so smooth at the same time. I'm a pig in poo right now. :D

When I first set eyes on them I was a bit concerned by their small size but there was no need to be. They produce a huge sound that easily fills my largish high ceilinged room without any problems. They go loud and there's plenty of punchy solid sounding bass too. Obviously their small size limits the depth but there's all the bass you could ever want for down to about 55Hz at which point they rapidly roll off and have virtually no output below 50Hz. Personally I'll be partnering them with a subwoofer because I like lots of sub bass wub wub when listening to rave music, movies and computer games. But I doubt that a subwoofer is going to be necessary for most people and on their own these are all the speaker most people would ever need. I'm listening to a track from Snoop Dogg's Doggy Style album right now and the phat bass line that these produce sounds outstanding.

When comparing speakers I always use my Westone UM3x earphones to act as a constant and unchanging benchmark that I can take with me everywhere I go. To give you an idea of how good the UM3's are I can confidently say that no passive speaker that I've ever heard can match their clarity and only a small handful of multi-thousand pound active studio monitors sound clearer. The Westone's are great and it's a close call but the DM5 are slightly clearer sounding. High praise indeed!

One of the best tests for a speaker is a sine wave sweep. IME speakers that sound good with music inevitably perform well with a sine wave sweep and speakers that sound bad with music have their inadequacies laid bare with a sine wave sweep. Unsurprisingly the DM5's faired admirably well in this test. While there are a few slight variations in volume output across the frequencies they are still flatter than most. Much more importantly though is that there's no noticeable phase distortion which is what ruins far too many speakers and the crossover transition from woofer to tweeter is unnoticeable as far as I can tell. This is very rare and is impressive stuff!

The downsides? Well being active they need two cables per speaker which I dislike. I also miss the DAC and pre-amp that's built into the ADM9 and Neutron system that makes them sooo much more convenient to use. They don't have any kind of built in level adjustment so you really do need to use them with something that has a proper pre-amp built in. They can't be used straight out of the fixed gain RCA sockets from an O2 or Behringer DAC. But so long as they're used with the right source with a pre-amp this won't be an issue so there are no worries there. Just choose your partnering equipment with this in mind and there won't be any problems. They also work fine straight from the headphone output of a phone or MP3 player (and also from an AEX too so I'm told).

Overall these are such an incredible bargain. There's no comparison to other sub £1000 speakers - they just don't come close. They may only cost £700 but they are one of the finest sounding hifi systems that I've ever heard irrespective of the cost. Crystal clear right across the whole frequency range and with a stereo image to die for. These speakers just sound 'right' from the moment I started listening. It's a shame they live in the shadow of the forthcoming DM10 speakers because the DM5's deserve much more attention than they get.

Thank you Martin and Ash. You have another very happy customer here. :)

Craig M.

Mar 20, 2008
Visit site
steve_1979 said:
They are probably the most pleasant sounding and easiest to listen to speakers that I know of.

Exactly the same thing with my ADM9RS, still suprises me every time I listen to music.

Glad you like them Steve. :)

Ajani

Apr 9, 2008
Visit site
steve_1979 said:
So I've spent a few hours listening to them now and I have to say that I'm very very impressed. They are probably the most pleasant sounding and easiest to listen to speakers that I know of. Without a doubt some of the finest that I've heard. It's a similar experience to Quested monitors. They are incredibly detailed and yet so smooth at the same time. I'm a pig in poo right now. :D

Thanks for sharing your thoughts. I've been eyeing the DM5s for a long time, so I tend to follow the costumer reviews of them with great interest.

Hopefully I'll get to buy a pair eventually, but other priorities have put HiFi on the backburner for now.

steve_1979 said:
It's a shame they live in the shadow of the forthcoming DM10 speakers because the DM5's deserve much more attention than they get.

Frankly, I was tempted to join the AVI forums a few months ago, to rant about how much I disliked the decision to start talking about the DM10's just as the DM5's were about to hit the market. So instead of giving AVI fans a chance to get excited about the DM5's, they were basically told to save their money for the 10's. I see it as being just like how all the raving about the superiority of actives with the ADM9's, killed interest in the Neutron V's. I have no doubt the products are great, but the marketing really needs work.

Overdose

Feb 8, 2008
Visit site
Ajani said:
Frankly, I was tempted to join the AVI forums a few months ago, to rant about how much I disliked the decision to start talking about the DM10's just as the DM5's were about to hit the market. So instead of giving AVI fans a chance to get excited about the DM5's, they were basically told to save their money for the 10's. I see it as being just like how all the raving about the superiority of actives with the ADM9's, killed interest in the Neutron V's. I have no doubt the products are great, but the marketing really needs work.

True, but it is refreshing to have some sort of honesty regarding product development without having to wade through the usual vague marketing BS so prevelent in this industry.

All the products though, stand on their own merit and are apparently superb. The DM5s are also going to appeal to people with different requirements than the ADM9s or the new DM10 (or whatever they might be called).

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
Ajani said:
Frankly, I was tempted to join the AVI forums a few months ago, to rant about how much I disliked the decision to start talking about the DM10's just as the DM5's were about to hit the market. So instead of giving AVI fans a chance to get excited about the DM5's, they were basically told to save their money for the 10's.

I'm sure there are lots of companies who develop and then promote two or more new models concurrently. If they occupy different size / performance / price points then there is no conflict surely?

steve_1979

Jul 14, 2010
Visit site
Overdose said:
Ajani said:

True, but it is refreshing to have some sort of honesty regarding product development without having to wade through the usual vague marketing BS so prevelent in this industry.

I've wondered this myself. Ash might have cost himself a few sales of ADM9's and DM5's by mentioning the DM10's so soon. On the other hand I applauded AVI's openness about what development work they're doing and it gives people plenty of time to save up for the limited edition DM10's.

Although with a budget of £1500 that gives potential buyers the choice of either the DM10's on their own or a pair of DM5's and the subwoofer. I obviously haven't heard the DM10's but I expect that I'd prefer the latter.

steve_1979

Jul 14, 2010
Visit site
Leeps said:
Can I ask, precisely what are the inputs on the DM5?

There are two versions.

The ones with RCA sockets are designed to be used with an AEX, phones, tablets, computers etc and they have a 1 volt sensitivity.

The ones with XLR sockets are designed to be used with pro-audio gear and have 2 volts sensitivity.

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
Good job Steve.........it's always very satisfying to purchase a bit of Hifi that one feels knocks the socks off the competition.

Leeps

Dec 10, 2012
Visit site
steve_1979 said:
Leeps said:
Can I ask, precisely what are the inputs on the DM5?

There are two versions.

The ones with RCA sockets are designed to be used with an AEX, phones, tablets, computers etc and they have a 1 volt sensitivity.

The ones with XLR sockets are designed to be used with pro-audio gear and have 2 volts sensitivity.

Thanks Steve, that's helpful. Glad your chuffed with the DM5's. Certainly appealing to minimalists!

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
Overdose said:

Or indeed every single industry present today, and not confined to any single industry. Every single product you buy will have been part of a marketing strategy in an attempt to convince you that it is better than anyone else's.

Overdose

Feb 8, 2008
Visit site
David@FrankHarvey said:
Overdose said:

Or indeed every single industry present today, and not confined to any single industry. Every single product you buy will have been part of a marketing strategy in an attempt to convince you that it is better than anyone else's.

I have never seen so much misinformation and outright BS as in the HiFi industry. It's no wonder many people remain so clueless.

Covenanter

Jul 20, 2012
Visit site
David@FrankHarvey said:
Overdose said:

I don't believe that's true! The best suppliers merely say that their kit is good, they are not going to say it is bad, and leave it up to you to judge how it compares with other stuff. It's the cowboys who say their kit is the best.

Chris

lindsayt

Apr 8, 2011
Visit site
What so does this mean that Coca Cola are exagerating when they say that a bottle of their fizzy drink equals "Open happiness"?

And that when people claim that "I'm lovin it!" on the McDonalds adverts, they might be saying that mainly because they've been paid to say it, and not because of any particular emotional attachment to eating their burgers and salty fries?

And that Dell don't give you "The power to do more"? They only give you the power to do the same as any other large company that sells PC's and servers?

Overdose

Feb 8, 2008
Visit site
lindsayt said:
What so does this mean that Coca Cola are exagerating when they say that a bottle of their fizzy drink equals "Open happiness"?

And that when people claim that "I'm lovin it!" on the McDonalds adverts, they might be saying that mainly because they've been paid to say it, and not because of any particular emotional attachment to eating their burgers and salty fries?

And that Dell don't give you "The power to do more"? They only give you the power to do the same as any other large company that sells PC's and servers?

Hmm. I'm not sure that you quite understand (again).

You must understand however, that when people eat or drink, endorphins are released which do actually affect emotion, ie happiness?

So your first two examples don't really seem to add much to the discussion. In any case, these are all simply examples of slogans and just memorable phrases to express an idea, not the actual sales pitch. They are not designed to have any basis in truth, but to attach a product to that idea.

A statement something like "eat our burgers and fries, they're the cornerstone to any nutritious diet and are really good for you" from a fast food burger chain, might be seen as rather disingenuous and perhaps not allowed. The HiFi world is flooded with such similarly dodgy statements though and only its niche status avoids such close scrutiny as in the mass consumer market at large.

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
I'm still waiting to grow wings, look 20 years younger, have whiter than white teeth, and attract masses of women 24/7.

If it is in an ad, it is there to make you buy something, whether it is meant in a lighthearted way or presented as fact.

lindsayt

Apr 8, 2011
Visit site
mensoutrageous-ad-claims09ade-651getty96018706.jpg

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts