AVI DM5 first impressions / review

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

matt49

Apr 7, 2013
Visit site
John Duncan said:
Oh marvellous. A shitfest ERgain.

No, John, we have a new website design which means everything will be entirely civilized and consensual. Promise.

And there will be no ****ing swearing.

EDITED My F-word got through whatever filter the new website uses. I've now removed it, because I don't want any grief. But seriously, what the hell's going on?

matt49

Apr 7, 2013
Visit site
steve_1979 said:
matt49 said:
EDITED My F-word got through whatever filter the new website uses. I've now removed it, because I don't want any grief. But seriously, what the hell's going on?

I wouldn't mind the grief but I am jealous that I can't swear. :(

Sorry, Steve, I was being very superficial. The important thing is your new speakers. Great to hear how good they are. Enjoy!

Matt

steve_1979

Jul 14, 2010
Visit site
matt49 said:
steve_1979 said:
matt49 said:

I wouldn't mind the grief but I am jealous that I can't swear. :(

Sorry, Steve, I was being very superficial. The important thing is your new speakers. Great to hear how good they are. Enjoy!

Matt

Cheers Matt. *drinks*

Jul 10, 2014
Visit site
matt49 said:

Looks like breaking the profanity filter was another one of the many 'improvements' made when the site was redesigned.

steve_1979

Jul 14, 2010
Visit site
tinkywinkydipsylalapo said:
matt49 said:

Looks like breaking the profanity filter was another one of the many 'improvements' made when the site was redesigned.

Apart from the dodgy new layout the site seems to work fine using Chrome on the PC but every other web browser that I've tried has problems with it.

steve_1979

Jul 14, 2010
Visit site
After a few weeks of living with the DM5's there's another thing that strikes me and is worth mentioning here.

I find that 90% of HiFi speakers sound fatiguing with prolonged listening and I feel the need to turn them off or turn the treble down as a result. Some speakers such as Q Acoustics have a 'warm' treble character which is preferable to most but they miss out on some of the clarity and detail as a result of their 'warmth' which irritates in a different way.

The DM5's are the most pleasant sounding speakers that I've ever heard with respect to their treble. They still have all the treble volume and detail that other speakers have but they never sound harsh or fatiguing even with bright sounding music. They manage to combine these two qualities better than any other speaker that I've ever heard. They really are quite remarkable in this respect.

Native_bon

Nov 26, 2008
Visit site
steve_1979 said:
After a few weeks of living with the DM5's there's another thing that strikes me and is worth mentioning here.

I find that 90% of HiFi speakers sound fatiguing with prolonged listening and I feel the need to turn them off or turn the treble down as a result. Some speakers such as Q Acoustics have a 'warm' treble character which is preferable to most but they miss out on some of the clarity and detail as a result of their 'warmth' which irritates in a different way.

The DM5's are the most pleasant sounding speakers that I've ever heard with respect to their treble. They still have all the treble volume and detail that other speakers have but they never sound harsh or fatiguing even with bright sounding music. They manage to combine these two qualities better than any other speaker that I've ever heard. They really are quite remarkable in this respect.
Thats what most sepakers lack, clearity & lack of sounding fatiguing simultaneously. Most speakers I have heard do everything very well, but the high freqeuncies in most system are mediocre to say the least. If what you say is the case with the DM5's they most be something special.

I hope I dnt get eaten alive now, but the only speakers I have heard that combination of clearity with a non fatiguing sound are electrostic speakers & expensive meridian speakers.

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
Native_bon said:
Thats what most sepakers lack, clearity & lack of sounding fatiguing simultaneously. Most speakers I have heard do everything very well, but the high freqeuncies in most system are mediocre to say the least. If what you say is the case with the DM5's they most be something special.

I hope I dnt get eaten alive now, but the only speakers I have heard that combination of clearity with a non fatiguing sound are electrostic speakers & expensive meridian speakers.

IME. Speakers shouldn't be taken in isolation....the amp can have quite an effect; and the Source shouldn't be overlooked either.

Native_bon

Nov 26, 2008
Visit site
CnoEvil said:
Native_bon said:

IME. Speakers shouldn't be taken in isolation....the amp can have quite an effect; and the Source shouldn't be overlooked either.
Yes I agree with you CnoEvil. All things being equal.

steve_1979

Jul 14, 2010
Visit site
Native_bon said:
steve_1979 said:

Quested monitors also do an outstanding job of having clarity and a very detailed treble whilst also never becoming fatiguing. They are very similar to the DM5's in this respect and are my second favourite speakers for this reason.

matt49

Apr 7, 2013
Visit site
Native_bon said:

Electrostatics simply distort much less than dynamic speakers (active or passive). The difference in HF and mid-range clarity is very obvious.

Craig M.

Mar 20, 2008
Visit site
matt49 said:
Electrostatics simply distort much less than dynamic speakers (active or passive). The difference in HF and mid-range clarity is very obvious.

Not always. Hifi Critic reviewed the Event Opals and made some interesting comparisons between the mid and treble of the Opals and some Quad panels. It'll cost you £4 to read the review though. :)

This would chime with my own experience of listening to Quad panels - I was very suprised at how similar the sound was to my Opals, bass apart.

matt49

Apr 7, 2013
Visit site
Craig M. said:
matt49 said:

Not always. Hifi Critic reviewed the Event Opals and made some interesting comparisons between the mid and treble of the Opals and some Quad panels. It'll cost you £4 to read the review though. :)

This would chime with my own experience of listening to Quad panels - I was very suprised at how similar the sound was to my Opals, bass apart.

Did the Hifi Critic review provide distortion measurements? They don't usually for speakers AFAIK. I suppose I ought to fork out the £4 to find out.

I'd very much like to hear the Opals; I'm still toying with the idea of getting some actives for the living room.

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
steve_1979 said:
With quite a few tracks it makes absolutely no difference whatsoever but with heavy kick drum music or electronica like Infected Mushroom it punches really hard and is a huge improvement over the DM5's on their own.

One thing the sub has shown me though is just how good the DM5 bass is on their own. They really are remarkable for the size. They already give 99% of the performance and the sub is just the last 1% icing on the cake. A subtle difference but well worthwhile upgrade for DM5 owners if they can afford it.

I haven't had time to try it with movies or games yet but I'm very pleased with the result so far.

Surely, it can't be both a huge improvement and a subtle improvement. *wink*

steve_1979

Jul 14, 2010
Visit site
CnoEvil said:
Surely, it can't be both a huge improvement and a subtle improvement. *wink*

Depends on what you're playing. With most music it varies from making no difference at all to being just a very subtle but worthwhile improvement. But with electronic or heavy kick drum music like some rock and pop it's a huge improvement to the bass and overall feel.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dvKf1anduFA

Some songs don't sound any different with a subwoofer. This is NOT one of those songs!

*yahoo*

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
steve_1979 said:
With most music it varies from making no difference at all to being just a very subtle but worthwhile improvement. But with electronic or heavy kick drum music like some rock and pop it's a huge improvement to the bass and overall feel.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dvKf1anduFA

Some songs don't sound any different with a subwoofer. This is NOT one of those songs!

*yahoo*

I'm being a PITA and pulling your chain (it's down to being in a stranger mood this evening). I knew exactly what you meant as I also have some Infected Mushroom (Army of Mushrooms).

steve_1979

Jul 14, 2010
Visit site
Without wanting to stir up a hornets nest I'll pre-empty this post by saying "to my ears, IMO, IME etc etc." :)

The DM5's with the AVI sub is the best hifi system that I've ever heard at any price bar none! Best clarity, best stereo image and just the all round nicest sounding set up that I've ever heard. There may well be better systems out there but if there is I haven't heard them. It's totally incredible that this level of performance can be bought for just £1500 and I prefer it to even the best multi-thousand pound top systems from Quested, Genelec and Adam.

As you can probably guess, I'm very happy right now. :D

steve_1979

Jul 14, 2010
Visit site
CnoEvil said:
I'm being a PITA and pulling your chain (it's down to being in a stranger mood this evening). I knew exactly what you meant as I also have some Infected Mushroom (Army of Mushrooms).

*diablo* Tut tut.

Listening to a bit of AC/DC now. A BIG improvement with the subwoofer turned on.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts