AVI DM5 first impressions / review

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

Native_bon

Nov 26, 2008
Visit site
steve_1979 said:
CnoEvil said:
steve_1979 said:
Listening to a bit of AC/DC now. A BIG improvement with the subwoofer turned on.

I use my Sub intermittently and at different volumes, depending on the music/mastering.

I like to vary the sub volume depending on what media I'm listening to too (I like a quite frankly ridiculous about of bass when playing computer games). Unfortunatly the user interface of the Yamaha RX-V667 is a bit fiddly to use for changing the bass.

When the replacement DecoderStation 5 arrives if it still has the DAC problems that I experienced before I'll try using it with the O2 acting as the DAC and just use the DecoderStation as an analogue 2.1 pre-amp because its user interface is much easier to use especially when it comes to fiddling with the subwoofer settings.
Like the way you go for what you want. Am looking to rebuilt a new system as well. Either active speakers or state of the act home cinema system. I want to look at HIFI & home cinema from my own eyes. Am going on a journey of total way of looking at hifi & not the traditional way. Want something more compact. Looks like days of big boxes are over for me. I will give my self till mid way next year to come up with a new system.

Options may be active in 5.1 or all in one home cinema system . They is so much options out there now its just very encouraging. Will post from time to time as I go on this remake of a new system & most of all have fun doing it.

steve_1979

Jul 14, 2010
Visit site
Native_bon said:
steve_1979 said:
CnoEvil said:
steve_1979 said:
Listening to a bit of AC/DC now. A BIG improvement with the subwoofer turned on.

I use my Sub intermittently and at different volumes, depending on the music/mastering.

I like to vary the sub volume depending on what media I'm listening to too (I like a quite frankly ridiculous about of bass when playing computer games). Unfortunatly the user interface of the Yamaha RX-V667 is a bit fiddly to use for changing the bass.

When the replacement DecoderStation 5 arrives if it still has the DAC problems that I experienced before I'll try using it with the O2 acting as the DAC and just use the DecoderStation as an analogue 2.1 pre-amp because its user interface is much easier to use especially when it comes to fiddling with the subwoofer settings.
Like the way you go for what you want. Am looking to rebuilt a new system as well. Either active speakers or state of the act home cinema system. I want to look at HIFI & home cinema from my own eyes. Am going on a journey of total way of looking at hifi & not the traditional way. Want something more compact. Looks like days of big boxes are over for me. I will give my self till mid way next year to come up with a new system.

Options may be active in 5.1 or all in one home cinema system . They is so much options out there now its just very encouraging. Will post from time to time as I go on this remake of a new system & most of all have fun doing it.

Sounds interesting. I enjoy reading about peoples 'hifi journeys' and look forward to hearing about your purchases and views. :)

If it was for the TV in a living room my dream system would be a 5.1 DM5 setup. For my main PC music and gaming system I secretly dream of having an AVI 4.1 setup with DM10's at the front and DM5's at the back. Doubt I'll ever be able to afford the DM10's though.

Native_bon

Nov 26, 2008
Visit site
steve_1979 said:
Out of interest Native_bon, what hifi stuff are you considering buying?

Your comment about considering equipment that's compact and not traditional is intriguing.
AM looking at a Beosound 5 system by Bang & Olufsen & one of their compact speaker systems. The only problem with this is upgrading in the future. Its just an option but let my ears do the selection. I under estimated their systems till I had a demo just early this year & was very surprised by the SQ.

Also may look at 5.1 active from my oppo player. So just the oppo player for movies & music.

bluedroog

Mar 4, 2010
Visit site
BO have been dismissed as a lifestyle brand for many years, perhaps justifiably but I keep hearing good things about the current stuff. There is always that bit of hifi snobbery, people love to hate certain brands and scoffing at BO has been a staple for hifi snobs whom like to think of themselves as 'in the know' for a while now. If it is a brand people who aren't in to hifi have heard of and assume is good even better!

Native_bon

Nov 26, 2008
Visit site
bluedroog said:
BO have been dismissed as a lifestyle brand for many years, perhaps justifiably but I keep hearing good things about the current stuff. There is always that bit of hifi snobbery, people love to hate certain brands and scoffing at BO has been a staple for hifi snobs whom like to think of themselves as 'in the know' for a while now. If it is a brand people who aren't in to hifi have heard of and assume is good even better!
I dnt really care about snobbery. If it sounds good to me I buy it. Most people just want to fit in. Its about the music for me. If I get style & music, its win, win.

steve_1979

Jul 14, 2010
Visit site
Native_bon said:
AM looking at a Beosound 5 system by Bang & Olufsen & one of their compact speaker systems. The only problem with this is upgrading in the future. Its just an option but let my ears do the selection. I under estimated their systems till I had a demo just early this year & was very surprised by the SQ.

Also may look at 5.1 active from my oppo player. So just the oppo player for movies & music.

Nice.

relocated

Jan 20, 2012
Visit site
bluedroog said:

B&O sunk down in hifi terms because their products were unreliable. They were often cutting edge but no prize in the longevity stakes. I would have had a Beogram 6000 Tangential but the experience of others kept me away. Technics SL10 came along and good bye conventional T/T, it's still working today.

steve_1979

Jul 14, 2010
Visit site
Someone on the AVI forum who's upgrading from the Neurton 5 to DM5 asked to see a photo of them together with the smaller Neutron subwoofer to compare sizes so I though I'd post the picture here as well in case anyone's interested.

I've orded some longer cables so that I can hide them inside the speakers stands. I've also ordered a couple of RCA splitters so that I can try them with the N5 subwoofer before it gets put up for sale soon.

IMG_20140831_112414_zps2ed3ad5e.jpg

steve_1979

Jul 14, 2010
Visit site
Time for a quick update on the DM5's used with a subwoofer (copy and pasted text from the darkside).

The AVI sub sounds very good and once setup right integrates perfectly with the DM5's. Without hearing them back to back I wouldn't like to comment if it's any better or worse than Quested's or Genelec's subwoofer efforts but I can confirm that the AVI sub is one of the very few good ones that I've heard that can integrate perfectly.

I spent an hour or two fiddling with the settings and playing different tracks to find the best result (different volume levels, crossover frequencies and trying the DM5's running both full range or with all the bass going to the sub) and they work best with the DM5's running full range and the sub crossed over at either 70 or 80Hz. Then just adjust the sub volume to suit.

Getting the subwoofer volume right takes a bit of trial and error. There's a very fine line between having too little bass so that you can't hear the sub at all and having to much bass that muddies the midrange. Once you get it right they sound perfect together though. With most tracks it's only just audible and adds just a little bit more weight and presence to the sound and somehow creates a more solid 3D feel. With quite a few tracks it makes absolutely no difference whatsoever but with heavy kick drum music or electronica like Infected Mushroom it punches really hard and is a huge improvement over the DM5's on their own.

One thing the sub has shown me though is just how good the DM5 bass is on their own. They really are remarkable for the size. They already give 99% of the performance and the sub is just the last 1% icing on the cake. A subtle difference but well worthwhile upgrade for DM5 owners if they can afford it.

I haven't had time to try it with movies or games yet but I'm very pleased with the result so far.

steve_1979

Jul 14, 2010
Visit site
CnoEvil said:
steve_1979 said:

I like to vary the sub volume depending on what media I'm listening to too (I like a quite frankly ridiculous amount of bass when playing computer games). Unfortunatly the user interface of the Yamaha RX-V667 is a bit fiddly to use for changing the bass.

relocated said:
bluedroog said:
BO have been dismissed as a lifestyle brand for many years, perhaps justifiably but I keep hearing good things about the current stuff. There is always that bit of hifi snobbery, people love to hate certain brands and scoffing at BO has been a staple for hifi snobs whom like to think of themselves as 'in the know' for a while now.  If it is a brand people who aren't in to hifi have heard of and assume is good even better!?

B&O sunk down in hifi terms because their products were unreliable.  They were often cutting edge but no prize in the longevity stakes.  I would have had a Beogram 6000 Tangential but the experience of others kept me away.  Technics SL10 came along and good bye conventional T/T, it's still working today.

I've heard different things. My friend's dad has B&O system which I think is as old as me.

B&O went down after the economic downturn in 2008.

steve_1979

Jul 14, 2010
Visit site
bigboss said:
I have a high regard for B&O stuff. They're well engineered and of a very high quality with brilliant customer service. Even I loved the sound of their speakers.

I've never actually heard them but I think they look like they make some very cleaverly designed and well engineered stuff.

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
bluedroog said:

Mmmh, not sure about that. Whenever B&O are mentioned on here, they seem to get the desirability vote. - The only problem seem to be prices which make the products unattainable for all but a very few.

B&O have been pioneering hifi for a long time/decades, most recently with their 'digital' amplifier modules, used by a number of other manufacturer.

I've had my eyes on some of their stunning looking/engineered 80's turntables many a time (it's about the only thing B&O I can afford) but I have enough TT's so had to put a brake on that.

iQ Speakers

Feb 24, 2013
Visit site
Hi Steve, my mum has been after a lifestyle system then i got her to look at a Marantz 610 with Q Acoustic 3020's, She has got over the speaker placement issue. So i have now pesuaded her to go for AVI actives, the DM5's are out of stock, and can not post a wanted on the AVI forum im not aproved yet!, I guess there would be lots of guys upgrading to DM10 so lots of 9.1's going. Do you know of any going at the moment 9.1's or DM5's?

steve_1979

Jul 14, 2010
Visit site
iQ Speakers said:
Hi Steve, my mum has been after a lifestyle system then i got her to look at a Marantz 610 with Q Acoustic 3020's, She has got over the speaker placement issue. So i have now pesuaded her to go for AVI actives, the DM5's are out of stock, and can not post a wanted on the AVI forum im not aproved yet!, I guess there would be lots of guys upgrading to DM10 so lots of 9.1's going. Do you know of any going at the moment 9.1's or DM5's?

Ash says that there have been a lot of interested inquiries about the DM5's lately so they'll be making another batch later in the year if you don't mind waiting a while.

There's also a pair of second hand gloss black ADM9 RSS (with scanspeak tweeters) on there for £700 ATM. There's always more coming up for sale every week or two at the moment too with people upgrading to the new DM10's so it's a good time to buy at a good price.

If you can't post on the AVI forum have you tried emailing or phoning Ash to let him know?

iQ Speakers

Feb 24, 2013
Visit site
steve_1979 said:
iQ Speakers said:

Ash says that there have been a lot of interested inquiries about the DM5's lately so they'll be making another batch later in the year if you don't mind waiting a while.

There's also a pair of second hand gloss black ADM9 RSS (with scanspeak tweeters) on there for £700 ATM. There's always more coming up for sale every week or two at the moment too with people upgrading to the new DM10's so it's a good time to buy at a good price.

If you can't post on the AVI forum have you tried emailing or phoning Ash to let him know?
Yep he replied! and i can now post. Were they the latest version and do you think they are good value?

iQ Speakers

Feb 24, 2013
Visit site
I now have Ashley sending me emails Re how good the AVI 9.1 RS are, the guys got passion and i really admire that. Amazing! And he has a mature business!

steve_1979

Jul 14, 2010
Visit site
iQ Speakers said:
Yep he replied! and i can now post. Were they the latest version and do you think they are good value?

£700 is a very good price indeed and is lower than what second hand ADM9 RSS used to sell for before the DM10's were announced. £700 is about avarage for what they have been selling for over the past few months although I think that some may have sold for slightly less (from memory without actually checking through the 'Buying and Selling' section to be sure).

The newest ADM9 use the new Sinar Baja tweeter and the ones you're looking at are the slightly older Scan Speak ones but they are still pretty new and have the improved mid-bass driver. I haven't heard them but I doubt that there'd be much difference between the Scan Speak and Sinar Baja versions though.

Considering they're for you mum the smaller DM5's may be better unless she's a bass head and listens at high volume.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts