AVI DM5 first impressions / review

Page 5 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

lindsayt

Apr 8, 2011
Visit site
13058927784_67898fd3c9_b.jpg

dap33, here's a frequency repsonse chart as supplied by AVI of their ADM10 speakers.

I would urge some caution in interpreting this, as we have no vertical scale, we don't know what type of smoothing was applied and we don't know how truly representative they are. I personally would prefer to see independent measurements of these speakers from a reliable source, such as Stereophile.

I think it's a reasonable assumption to say that the vertical scale represents at least 1 db increments.

This model is supposed to have a fuller / better bass than their previous model ADM9's and ADM5's.

As anyone can see, the drop-off in the bass starts at 100hz. Not at 55hz. At 55hz they are already about 10 dbs down. That's a lot.

There's also a high chance that the bump that you see between 100 hz and 250 hz will be down to that being the area where port output exceeds cone output. A Stereophile type measurement would confirm this. The trouble with port output is the excessive amount of distortion you get with transients at the frequencies they are most active. This phenomenom is measurable with single cycle input tones and a microphone and oscilloscope.

I have not heard ADM10's yet. But I have heard ADM9's and they do sound as if they have similar frequency response to the one supplied for the ADM10's - especially in terms of the lack of bass extension. Which after all, is only to be expected when they are small ported 2 way speakers with small mid-bass cones.

dap33, there are some people that might enjoy listening to drum n bass and hip hop with the frequencies below 100hz progressively filtered out. I don't, due to that type of speaker taking so much of the fun, bounce, physical impact away from the music.

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
steve_1979 said:
dap33 said:
how does the avi speakers handle drum n bass, hip hop etc. In 2 minds whether to go amp & speakers or ADM9 active path...

Very well. I listen to a lot of electronica myself (mostly dubstep and hard trance) and the bass from the little DM5's that I use is exellent even wirthout a subwoofer.

The DM5's are small speakers and roll off very abruptly below 55Hz so don't expect them to give you much of the physical 'chest punch' bass that you feel rather than hear but the sound of the bass that you hear is very well controlled and sounds really good with drum n bass and hip hop. They also go louder and have more bass than you would expect from such small speakers.

The ADM9's (particuarly the newer RS versions and onwards) are larger and much more powerful so will give more of the 'chest punch' bass than the DM5's. They also go about 15Hz deeper and have a bit more mid-bass too.

All of the AVI active speakers work well with subwoofers so if like me you like to go a bit mental with the bass from time to time an AVI 2.1 system works really well. Actually while I'm writing this I've got the new Prodigy album blaring out with the subwoofer turned up an extra 2dB because I've got the house to myself. :D

Probably more around 100hz with a little help by some farting from the ports

They can't defy the laws of physics as good as they may be

Um

Jun 17, 2013
Visit site
I've heard enough actives now to be won over. I like Genelec and have heard some great Event monitors. My little WS100's are beautiful and clear and can be listened to at really low volume with out loosing out on anything. Systems that employ DSP are really growing on me.

Ive listened to the Naim Muso a little in shops but would like to hear it in my home surroundings, I like the Spotify connect feature. As a one box system it's certainly appeals. If I had £1500 I might consider giving the AVI 10's a whirl. In the end for me though it comes down to just enjoying the music and forgetting where it's coming from. My budget hifi is actually pretty great Yamaha/ tannoy but I still end up 90% of the time listening to the little Monitor Audios. Such a simple little design that produces the sound I like, I'd be gutted if they broke.

sorry not really a post but more of a collection of thoughts..... Haha

steve_1979

Jul 14, 2010
Visit site
drummerman said:
Probably more around 100hz with a little help by some farting from the ports

They can't defy the laws of physics as good as they may be

See the post above regarding the bass output of the DM5's.

Also there's no audible port farting noises at all and subjectively when listening to something like Snoop Dogg's Doggystyle album the dinky DM5's have a very full and convincing 'phat' bass line.

The bass is much better than you would expect from such small speakers but you're quite right that they don't defy the laws of physics. They don't really have any bass below 55Hz but they have plenty above it which is why they can sound 'phat' but you don't physically feel the chest punch like you do with bigger speakers.

The ADM9's and DM10's are bigger and much more powerful and do give proper physical chest punching bass. Especially when partnered with the matching AVI subwoofer.

steve_1979

Jul 14, 2010
Visit site
lindsayt said:
... As anyone can see, the drop-off in the bass starts at 100hz. Not at 55hz. At 55hz they are already about 10 dbs down. That's a lot. ...

My comment about 55Hz was referring to the DM5's not the ADM9's or DM10's.

The DM5's start rolling off at around 100-110Hz or so but it's a very gradual roll off and they still have plenty of bass output as low as 55-60Hz. Below 55Hz they roll off very rapidily indeed and by 50Hz there's virtually no audible output at all.

These figures are based on my own listening tests (no microphone) using a sine wave sweep. Subjectively using just my ears in my room there's hardly any noticable bass roll off until about 60Hz.

davedotco

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
dap33 said:
could i plug something like this http://www.musicalfidelity.com/m1clic/ into the avi adm9 or dm10?

Yes.

Use either the fixed level output on the MF and control the volume on the speakers or the variable level out in wich case both the MF and the speakers can control volume.

Not the neatest solution as you have duplicate pre-amp functions in both the MF and the speakers. In many ways the MF would be a better match for the DM5 which simply has a single analogue line in.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts