Which Headphones For Android Phone?

AfxTwn

Dec 8, 2008
Visit site
Hi, sorry but I didn't know whether to post this in the smartphone section or here. I've just got a new Sony Xperia Z2 and want to buy some decent headphones for it but I'm not sure which ones to get. At the moment I'm torn betwen the Sennheiser Momentum's and the Philips Fidelio M1's.

I don't know whether to go for a bluetooth pair (wireless isn't a must) as my phone has Apt X on-board or if a normal wired pair is better as I'm guessing that will give me the best sound.

At the moment I'm using the bundled MDR-NC31E noise-cancelling earphones that came with the phone and while these are fine and the noise-cancelling seems to work relatively well, I still would prefer something with better sound quality.

On my iPod Touch I've been using some German Maestro GMP 8.35 D headphones and some AKG K451's. I like the German Maestro's great sound (although they are lacking a little in bass and are less warm-sounding) and the AKG's sound great with a little EQ-ing but they are a little too small on my ears and after a while start to hurt somewhat.

On my PC I have a pair of Philips Fidelio X1's which are amazing and I love them so I thought perhaps the M1's would be of a similar quality (although I know they are closed-backed and on-ear, so they won't sound exactly the same), but I have read great reviews of the Sennheiser Momentum's (over-ear) but they are very expensive (especially compared to the M1's), are the Momentum On-Ears as good or better than the Philips M1's? Or perhaps there are a pair of Sony headphones that might suit my needs?

The headphones must have a mic and some kind of remote to take calls, I know that a lot of headphones are geared for iPhones and so their in-line remotes have limited functionality on Android phones.

Thanks for any help people can give in making a decision.

dalethorn

Dec 7, 2011
Visit site
All of the headphones you mentioned are very different from each other, so comparisons aren't feasible. Since you already have the X1, it seems like the best solution.

*WhatHiFi has some real bugs. I had to restart this edit because the typing entry slowed to one character every couple of seconds. I'd type ahead and then watch the screen fill in what I typed very slooooooooly. This happens *only* on this site.

AfxTwn

Dec 8, 2008
Visit site
Thanks for the reply. I don't really want to use the X1 headphones as they're very big and open-backed, so they'll leak sound too much. As I'll be using the headphones on public transport, I don't really want to disturb people too much. Plus because of the velour cushions, when I wear them outside they're likely to either got dirty or soaked through if it's raining.

I'm tempted to just go for the M1's as I know they'll probably have good sound and will be comfortable. The Sennheiser Momentum on-ears look great but they're just too darn expensive.

Ryanr1987

Jan 28, 2014
Visit site
Since you are running from a phone look into something fully efficient. Since you own the X1 I take it you are into a lively bassy sound. Look no further then the YAMAHA Pro 500. It's basically a closed X1 to my ears but with improvements.

Also look into

D600

DT770 pro.

AfxTwn

Dec 8, 2008
Visit site
I wouldn't say I was into a more bassy sound, my previous headphones were a pair of AKG K550's but I found them to have too much focus on treble and they tended to grate with higher sounds, such as guitars. I also have a pair of Audio Technica ATH-M50's and some German Maestro GMP 8.35 D's, so I like a variety of sounds really.

I think with my Xperia Z2 phone though, I want something that's a little more warm-sounding (similar to the X1's). Having looked into things a bit more, I'm veering on my buying some Sony MDR-10RBT bluetooth headphones. Purely because I used an old Sony Ericsson MW600 bluetooth receiver and hooked up my AKG K451's to it and loved being able to have cable-free music listening and answering the phone at the same time. The only problem was that the MW600 had a battery life of around 6 hours and seeing as I'm going to be using them for around that time or longer when out walking, I want something with a good battery life and the Sony's certainly have that.

I'm torn between the MDR-1RBT and MDR-10RBT though, I've seen some used cans online with a price difference of £15 between them, so I'm not too sure what to go for.

Ryanr1987

Jan 28, 2014
Visit site
Look into

D600 or D7100

A900x

DT770

K267

D2000 if you can find one

All fit your criteria of a warm sound and are excellent and versatile.

AfxTwn

Dec 8, 2008
Visit site
Thanks very much for the reply but I think I'm going to go with a bluetooth pair as I prefer having no cables connected to the Sony Xperia Z2 so I can use it better as a camera and leave it in my bag while controlling everything from the headphones.

I am going to buy some headphones next week (payday then!) and I'm going to get either the Sony MDR-1RBT or MDR-10RBT, depending which is cheaper/available at the time. I'll be buying a used pair so that will cut down on the cost significantly.

dalethorn said:
All of the headphones you mentioned are very different from each other, so comparisons aren't feasible. Since you already have the X1, it seems like the best solution.

*WhatHiFi has some real bugs. I had to restart this edit because the typing entry slowed to one character every couple of seconds. I'd type ahead and then watch the screen fill in what I typed very slooooooooly. This happens *only* on this site.

Simply disable rich-text (found at the bottom of the text box) before typing.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts