Oh yes!

gbhsi1

Mar 5, 2008
Visit site
A friend of mine has just decided to get rid of his beloved vinyl??? I just bought the fantastic Neil Young Harvest in perfect condition for £5.00 & he has loads more! can't wait to rummage through what he has and pick the cream of the crop for my growing collection at a fantastic price. Just thought I'd share :)

Oh, and my brother has just joined the vinyl nation & he just loves it! Got himself a pro-ject genie III & pro-ject phono stage which I think is just brilliant!

pwiles1968

Mar 22, 2009
Visit site
gbhsi1:Oh, and my brother has just joined the vinyl nation & he just loves it! Got himself a pro-ject genie III & pro-ject phono stage which I think is just brilliant!

Snap
emotion-2.gif
It is a lovely little TT great Value for money, does he have the standard Cartridge? can not make my mind up weather to upgrade to the RED.

Have fun sorting through you friends vinyl, I love finding a record I want in good condition, which reminds me I have about 50 LP's to clean.

A

Anonymous

I bought an old Linn LP12 a while back ... needs a service ... wife has hidden it away in the loft, as she know once it's hooked up to the hifi, I will be spending the food money to buy lp's (spend enough as it is on cd's)
emotion-2.gif

Henley

Nov 26, 2007
Visit site
pwiles1968:
gbhsi1:Oh, and my brother has just joined the vinyl nation & he just loves it! Got himself a pro-ject genie III & pro-ject phono stage which I think is just brilliant!

Snap
emotion-2.gif
It is a lovely little TT great Value for money, does he have the standard Cartridge? can not make my mind up weather to upgrade to the RED.

Have fun sorting through you friends vinyl, I love finding a record I want in good condition, which reminds me I have about 50 LP's to clean.

Jump off the fence and get the Red, it's the best upgrade you'll ever make ;-0

Henley

Nov 26, 2007
Visit site
gbhsi1:...so what difference would a rondo red salsa MC cartridge make on my turntable as I currently have the 2M red?

I think the Salsa may prove to be a little "entheusiastic" for your system and would suggest moving to the 2M bronze for the same price. However, the Rondo is a totally different prospect. the sound will be much faster and more detailed, bass will be tighter and soundstage far, far larger. I can't go into more detail here as it would be ethically wrong but feel free to call us for help.

The_Lhc

Oct 16, 2008
Visit site
Hello Mr Henley! I've got a boggo-standard Project Debut 2 Phone SB, sounds perfectly fine with my old setup, which is only a Sony STR-930 AV amp and some Kef Cresta 2 speakers, nothing amazing but I wouldn't be averse to having a new cartridge put on it if it'll make a noticable enough difference, what would you recommend? Obviously the budget would be in keeping with the level of the turntable (I doubt there's much point putting a top-end cartridge on there for instance), whatever would be considered sensible really.

I am going to be replacing the amp and speakers at some point in the near future, would it be advisable to hold of changing the cartridge until after I've done that?

Henley

Nov 26, 2007
Visit site
I'd be tempted to put a 2M red of the deck and upgrade the stylus when you change turntables. The OM series that are prefitted are fine to get you started but there is just sooooo much more to be heard without spending a fortune.

A

Anonymous

what about the grado red

just bought one and it sounds pretty good to me better than the new ortofons which are a bit too bouncy for me

The_Lhc

Oct 16, 2008
Visit site
Henley:A far better diamond profile and, of course, it's nude!

In real terms, far greater information retrieval from the record

The diamond being in the stylus then, so it's only the stylus that's different?

What exactly does "nude" mean in the context?

A

Anonymous

"Nude styli, shaped from whole diamonds, are more costly than bonded styli, with their diamond tips "bonded" to metal shanks before finishing. But because of their lower mass, nude styli track more accurately. Also, since AT's nude styli are grain-oriented, with their longest-wearing faces touching the record surface, they last longer." - http://www.kissthesky.net/techinfoneedleinfo.html

@ Henley:

I hear the 2M red's stylus can be replaced with the 2M blue's stylus. Is this true / is the benefit comparable to the 2M blue?

The_Lhc

Oct 16, 2008
Visit site
hiphen:"Nude styli, shaped from whole diamonds, are more costly than bonded styli, with their diamond tips "bonded" to metal shanks before finishing.

So the whole stylus including the shank is diamond?

I think I need a glossary, ideally with pretty pictures!

fatboyslimfast

Jan 10, 2008
Visit site
Sort of. On the end of the cantilever, there is a diamond glued on. In the case of a nude diamond, it's just diamond.

In the case of a non nude, it's a diamond tip fixed to a "holder" for the want of a better description. You can get away with a far smaller piece of diamond for non-nude.

The_Lhc

Oct 16, 2008
Visit site
So the cantilever is actually the long bit that sticks out under the cartridge?

So if I was to replace the stylus on a 2M Red with the stylus from a 2M blue, what would I actually be changing?

Henley

Nov 26, 2007
Visit site
Not quite FBS,

Non nude is a diamond mounted (glued) on to a shank which is then fixed to the cantilever.

Nude is where the shank and stylus tip are one piece diamond which is then mounted on to the cantilever

Henley:A far better diamond profile and, of course, it's nude! In real terms, far greater information retrieval from the record

I've got a ClearAudio Classic Wood cartridge MM fitted to my Xpression 1 and it sounds every bit as good as any sub-£500 turntable.

fatboyslimfast

Jan 10, 2008
Visit site
Henley:Not quite FBS,

Non nude is a diamond mounted (glued) on to a shank which is then fixed to the cantilever.

Nude is where the shank and stylus tip are one piece diamond which is then mounted on to the cantilever

That's what I was trying to get at! Your descriptions are far better than mine Henley!!

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts