Chord Hugo

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

Hi-FiOutlaw

Apr 20, 2011
Visit site
I'm curiose for all those descriptions comparing the Hugo sounding like vinyl, I've demo better DACs that Rega DAC is but for more 2000€, Primare come to mind, Rega does not have the deph of Primare, neither the tridimentional imaging, but Rega DAC does one thing right, it has a very analogue sound.

Lets see how it goes, if I like it the way I liked the Rega DAC When i demo it, then I will not have a day of rest until I got it on the rack...

MickyBlue

Oct 24, 2013
Visit site
ive heard alot of dacs and there is not much in it tbo, does the hugo represent a 900 pound difference to the rega dac... no!

sorry i love chord stuff but it just doesnt warrant the additional 900 quid.

chord didnt help themselves by raising the price by 200 quid the minute it was launched, its not available in black aswell...

Hi-FiOutlaw

Apr 20, 2011
Visit site
MUSICRAFT said:
Hi HiFiOutlaw

There is a new DAC around the corner which should also have an analogue presentation. Based on what i've heard so far it looks very promising.

All the best

Rick @ Musicraft

I know Rega will launch a new DAC in the begining of 2015 or sooner even. I've said to myself that woudn't buy a new DAC before hearing the new one from Rega, it will need to be a real step up from the actual one.

Lets see if Chord didn't raise the bar to hight...

Hi HiFiOutlaw

I don't know anything about a new Rega DAC. Having said this if they do bring a new DAC then at least they've already got a good solid base to build up from.

Anyway i was referring to another make.

All the best

Rick @ Musicraft

Hi-FiOutlaw

Apr 20, 2011
Visit site
MUSICRAFT said:
Hi HiFiOutlaw

I don't know anything about a new Rega DAC. Having said this if they do bring a new DAC then at least they've already got a good solid base to build up from.

Anyway i was referring to another make.

All the best

Rick @ Musicraft

Ok! And what brand are we talking about?*angel*

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
MickyBlue said:
ive heard alot of dacs and there is not much in it tbo, does the hugo represent a 900 pound difference to the rega dac... no!

sorry i love chord stuff but it just doesnt warrant the additional 900 quid.

The Hugo isn't just a DAC though, and the added flexibility over a conventional static DAC alone would be enough for many to warrant the extra (dual headphone pre/pre-amp/Bluetooth as well as even higher resolution formats than many other DACs). Purely based on sound quality, the choice is personal.

Shanka

Jan 10, 2011
Visit site
Hi,

Coax as that is what I will feed in from SBT, I also tried the bluetooth which again was very, very good, I fear this may become my bedtime listening option as am going to invest my savings on some headphones.

3 days until I get it, got a day off work too.*music2*

Hi-FiOutlaw

Apr 20, 2011
Visit site
Shanka said:
Hi,

Coax as that is what I will feed in from SBT, I also tried the bluetooth which again was very, very good, I fear this may become my bedtime listening option as am going to invest my savings on some headphones.

3 days until I get it, got a day off work too.*music2*

It will be like Christmas, in August...*wink*

Hi-FiOutlaw

Apr 20, 2011
Visit site
I've scheduled a demo of the Hugo tomorrow, it will be connected through is coax input, will be the input that I will use if I buy "the thing" *crazy* for sure it will not be for its looks...

and yes I'll be on the market for a pair of headphones as well, maybe the Audio Technica ATH-M50.

Thanks Shanka for the feed back.

Hi-FiOutlaw said:
MUSICRAFT said:
Hi-FiOutlaw said:
Ok! And what brand are we talking about?*angel*

Hi Hi-FiOutlaw

Well since there is already information online it's the new Hegel Music Systems HD12.

All the best

Rick @ Musicraft

Thanks Musicraft, will look into it!

Hi Hi-FiOutlaw

Your welcome
regular_smile.gif

All the best

Rick @ Musicraft

Shanka

Jan 10, 2011
Visit site
Not my area of expertise esp. if you seen my thread in the forum on this.

I am looking at AKG k702's but a total punt, if I really don't like them then beyerdynamic dt880, another punt.

In reality if I am using them it will be late at night , I will be the worse for wear, very much so, therefore they will sound bloody brilliant *wacko*.

Please do let us know after your demo but remember to listen not look !

Have fun

Hi-FiOutlaw

Apr 20, 2011
Visit site
Since last week demo of the chord Hugo I haven't said nothing because the demo was with a system I knew nothing about, a pre/power double mono combo from Clone, Guru speakers for 20 min and after some Davis Nikita 2.

At the shop didn't found a real step up from my system at home, really...

I did ask for a home demo of the Hugo and today I went to pic up a brand new unit.

Will wait for a few days to report back, let it burn in for 2/3 days...

elevensheep

Nov 5, 2010
Visit site
Bought one last week. System is Macmini -> Hugo -> Supernait 2 -> Naim S400

Very impressed so far *biggrin*

Very substantial upgrade over CD5XS which i was previously pretty happy about.

audylubis

May 7, 2014
Visit site
I think when setting up Chord Hugo as a home rig dac, it is beneficial two compare this 2 setup and see which one you prefer.

1. Chord Hugo -> preamp -> power amp -> speaker

or

2. Chord Hugo -> power amp -> speaker

IMO the number 2 method is preferable as Chord Hugo built in preamp itself is really top quality. The downside is I lose the convinience of a remote. Connecting Hugo to preamp in my case coloring the sound of the Hugo.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts