Chord Hugo

Shanka

Jan 10, 2011
Visit site
Hi again,

On my neverending dac quest I listened to the chord hugo the other week, I had read the review here and a glowing report in HFC and saw some very interesting threads in the Naim forum.

I listened in store with a rega cd source to the hugo feeding a supernait and Spendor D7's and was swapping it with a Naim V1 which is my current dac favourite but has not really impressed as have stated here before.It is the best I have heard but only by shades and I could not justify the price of buying one so was waiting to get a s/hand model for £800 and have been getting close.

The dealer had not heard a Hugo in a system before either as they had only just got them in, he said he had been quite impressed on headphones but this is a naim dealer . I was expecting the usual slight improvements for a mad price for a tiny box.

I had my usual batch of cd's and started with Neil Young On the beach through the V1 which sounded fantastic, the Spendor's were incredible, it was as good as I have heard on a hifi and I always feel naim source and amplification work well together.

Switched to the Hugo and heard a slight difference at the start then the drums came in and the depth and texture appeared that I had never heard before, then the music started to swirl and flow around the speakers in quite an unusual fashion, the vocals carried more detail but in no way harsh, the depth and width of soundstage was vastly improved. The sweet sphere of sound seemed to have become an ocean.

I was quite taken aback by this as was the salesman, I had in no way anticipated such a change in the whole sound quality , depth and the way the music flowed was staggering.

I tried various othe tracks, rock reggae, classical, many older recordings and every time the difference between the dac's was so obviously apparent that after a few listens the Naim sounded flat, dull ,two dimensional and a bit lifeless.

Roxy Music's Take on me from Avalon was phenomenal, I used to use this for testing vinyl but the cd I heard has never been better to my ears, by quite a long way.

The salesman was also staggered at the difference and this was principally a Naim dealer, I now see what all the fuss is about on the Naim forum ( maybe why there are a lot of ndac's coming up on ebay ?).

For the second time in a month hifi has thrown me a curve ball, I was in no way expecting to be in anyway impressed with this dac, all others I had heard had slight improvements one way or another but the diminishing returns at the higher end of my budget had never really been delivered.

I also don't like the looks of it, it is not black, it is a bit fiddly, aesthetically very unpleasant but the sound was something else.

This was a couple of weeks ago and I have convinced myself that the large difference was due to the system I heard it on and this level of difference would not be as noticable on my system. The Spendor's are a fantatic speaker, totally out of my range but a fabulous sound, I quite liked the A6's but too light in bass at low listening level but the D7's are superb.

I am going back for another session on the Hugo using a lesser system to see if the hugely impressive sound I heard is still there, again comparing with the V1 using the xs amplifier, not one of my favourites, and see where I end up.

I am fighting hard not to like this product, it is more than I would have considered spending and to me it looks horrible but the sound has seduced me wanting to go back for more !!

I will update next week, thanks for reading if you got this far.

ps. I apologise for not writing up sooner but the changes on the site have really done me in, everything keeps jumping around, I am certainly not a fan, is this what the kids want !? I am enjoying slipping into old fartdom with out all this flashing and jumping,what a load of twerk !

Shanka

Jan 10, 2011
Visit site
I have ordered a new credit card for the 6 months free interest in anticipation.

David you must have heard this in store in some of your systems, can I take it you have been impressed ?

I would have headed up to you but found someone near me who had just taken stock in due to the nature of the little beast.

Shanka

Jan 10, 2011
Visit site
I think you should try and hear one, I think this might be one of those 'special' products, I would be intrigued by your thoughts.

In my time of working with sacd when it was launched this is a far more startling product , I was really taken aback with what it does for music.

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
Shanka said:
Nice try Cno but I have already heard them, very good they are too but I am more concerned about that Masterclass on ebay !!

As would I be in your situation. *dance4*

Let me know if you get it....you already know my thoughts on Class A. *biggrin*

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
Shanka said:
I think you should try and hear one, I think this might be one of those 'special' products, I would be intrigued by your thoughts.

In my time of working with sacd when it was launched this is a far more startling product , I was really taken aback with what it does for music.

It sounds like the first digital source that (imo) might challange the DS. If I hear it, I will let you know.

My own hunch is that it's the battery that helps it sound so good, as that cuts the impact that dirty mains may have.

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
Paul. said:
You don't remember my readers rides thread then :)

I do! Problem is, I was trying to track down a picture of the bike to give police, and remembered I'd posted in that thread. Took a while tracking down as I couldn't remember the thread title, but eventually found it. Unfortunately it had disappeared! It was hosted by Flickr, and I think it disappeared when they had an issue about a year ago. Any pictures I do have I think are on a previous laptop, which I can't access the hard drive. I've had to supply them pictures of other bikes/parts off the net to give them an idea of what it looks like - unfortunately I only found about three pics of that frame in that colour!

Hi-FiOutlaw

Apr 20, 2011
Visit site
Hi Shanka,

i'm on the market for a new DAC to replace my Rega DAC.

As you I don't like the looks of HUGO DAC, but i'm not a fan of Chord looks...

And your description of the Hugo demo made think that I need to buy a USB / SPDIF converter, as i can't use his USB input, because i can't instal the necessary codec in the NAS.

adamrobertshaw

Nov 10, 2011
Visit site
The point of USB input on the Hugo (or any other USB dac) is to use audiophile software and a computer to transmit the data to the field gate array in the Hugo. You only need the drivers for USB.

You can still use your NAS but you need data processing before you can pass it to the DAC.

So either a NAS feeding through your home network into a computer / Mac or alternatively into a high end streamer that can cope with high res or even DSD files. Most streamers run out of puff at 24/192 resolution but those with DSD capability tend to be pricey like the Chord Codex or Marantz NA-11S1. But they do have high end DACs built in so you don't need the external DAC like Hugo etc.

I run a Qute HD from my PC / Mac and I have a DAC XP signature receiving from my streamer. The PC and Mac can do DSD into the Qute HD. The Stream X2 and the DAC XP Signature are both maxed at 24/192 resolution.

Hi-FiOutlaw

Apr 20, 2011
Visit site
I need a assynch USB DAC and I don't use a PC to stream my music into it!

Synology NAS does PCM bit perfect 24/192 and thats all I need as I don't have a single DSD album, i've only two dozen of 24/96 and 3/4 albums at 24/192. And in a near future maybe synology will provide DSD playback (just a question of time).

But if i'll buy a M2Tech Hiface2 USB/sdif converter i'll have the ability to stream from the NAS into the Chord Hugo (or other DAC that will need driver instalation for HD playback ) all the contend that I need.

With Hiface2 I'll not need to instal any drivers, because all Linux OS already have the necessary ones.

Shanka

Jan 10, 2011
Visit site
I had another session with the Hugo last week this time using Rega Apollo cd ,Naim xs amp into B&W cm8's, I was also listening to the Naim V1 as a comparison.

I took a different selection and had a few favourites as poorer recordings to see if the Hugo would still bring out more of the recordings which I can confirm it did.

I tried Ronnie Lane's roll on babe that sounded great with the v1 but the extra detail and movement of music with the Hugo was staggerring, this was actually the case on everything I played through it and again on this 'lesser' system the benefits of the Hugo shone through.

Again after 4 songs I totally lost interest in the V1 as it just sounded flat and dull.

I have not heard such a stark difference between dac's before , it is striking, when I listened to sister morphine by the rolling stones the music sounded as though it had completely escaped the speakers and was coming for me, the soundstaging is amazing.

During the session the Hugo was connected to the mains so by all accounts and as mentioned above there is a further improvement when running off battery alone.

I am probably going to get one of these wee boxes and tolerate it's looks and quirks because it just makes my music sound so incredible.

I would not urge anyone else to do the same is it is a ridiculous price for what it is but I would urge anyone else interested to have a listen and share their views, I have been smitten and staggered by the Hugo and will be breaking many of my buying rules when I do buy one, the curse of curiosity.

Have fun.

adamrobertshaw

Nov 10, 2011
Visit site
I'm still interested in the Hugo even though I plumbed for a QuteHD. I see it more as a portable / personal rig set up with my HD800s. Yet I can still see the draw of placing it as a DAC in a static set up.

But it is at a price point that makes the Astell & Kern AK120 ii quite interesting too.

I've had a bit of trouble getting the QuteHD to run smoothly on USB via Audirvana Plus (crashes, jitter, cutting in / out). I took Audirvana off I-Tunes integrated mode and it's been fine via drag and drop playlist mode. I also pulled back the upsampling to just 2x i.e. l listen to FLAC on a 88.2 khz upsample. OOPS ... IT'S JUST HAD A HUGE DICKY FIT IN THE MIDDLE OF A TRACK !!!!!)

The QuteHD is by far the best computer based music I've heard. I'm amazed by the amount of detail it uncovers. So if the Hugo is better, bring it on. Chord Electronics appear to be on a roll as far DAC development is concerned.

One thing I can say, I have two listening rooms and two systems. My DAC XP Signature automatically upsamples based on the quality of the source signal and it can process huge detail from a CD T that can already read huge detail off a CD. The QuteHD is a lovely sound (rich, full and treacley) but it can't quite get the same sound from a CD that my DAC XP Signature can. It could be a system matching issue / personal listening preference though.

Also I've played CDs for hours on the 44.1 khz setting and the QuteHD just ploughed on and on error free.

(Agree about Naim ... one of my local dealers always demos with Naim sources ... and the V1 wasn't for me).

Out of curiosity ... how hot does the Hugo run? After a couple of hours the QuteHD seems to get very hot ... and I suspect a bit tired too ... which makes me think this is what creates the DAC misbehaviour on USB.

Very interesting write up, thanks. I trawled through the ?Naim forum thread a few weeks ago, so I'm not entirely surprised. A Naim dealer I trust confessed it well outclassed Naim's offering, but obviously cannot advertise as much.

So glad to see too a proper report based on audition, rather than dogma about all digital sounding the same, and naturally all cables! Hope you are using a reject printer USB! :)

Shanka

Jan 10, 2011
Visit site
Hi,

I have no idea how hot it gets but I picked it up to have a look at the switch button which is a bit fiddly on my first listen and didn't notice it was hot after about one hours use but could not say for sure if it was running off mains so not much help.

I have not heard the qute in either version so can not say how it compares but I can highly advise an audition of the hugo. From other reviews and chord's website I think it should be 'better' but would be intrigued to hear from someone first hand, maybe David at Frank Harvey may have heard both ?

I will be using with SBT so can let you know the hoped for improvement, i don't use this with a dac at present.

I am finding my SBT getting a bit clunky in operation especially if I use spotify ( will use the Hugo's bluetooth in future for this ) I don't know if its down to Logitech or the machine, just seems to go slow sometimes, possibly it's the operator. I will use a coax for this but Belkin do a good cable , usually £5 for 5 metres, a bit fancy but there you go !

adamrobertshaw

Nov 10, 2011
Visit site
I'm starting to be mindful of where I place the kit I have in a desktop set up. Sometimes my Mac Mini, Qute HD and 8XPdQX have got too close and everything starts getting oven warm.

I've got decent cables ... Chord Prodac, VdH The Wave, VdH Integration. They do make a difference. But I'm not sure I have an audiophile (hate that word) USB. I've used the cable that Chord bundled and I've got a QED gold plated USB (bought at Tescos !!). Both sound the same.

The Qute HD starts to get hot after a couple of hours. I can still pick it up but it's a closed box with no ventilation or fan.

Yesterday I was running on 2x upsampling. It still had a big jitter fit after a couple of hours. But my thoughts are that my amp may have a stray signal in the pathway that gets into the DAC. It does make my Mac Mini twitch / monitor blink when I switch the amp on and off.

Possibly Chord have learned that the internal battery approach allows for smoother power operation and also heat build up is avoided. They're confident enough to say it's their best yet.

Shanka

Jan 10, 2011
Visit site
I read a comparison with the qute and hugo on hifi+ or hifi world (sorry) and they said the hugo was way ahead but only someone 's opinion.

I have taken the plunge and managed to get one for a reasonable discount and should have it next week, thought I would get some headphones as am expecting a few late sessions and still have change to buy some more music and beer.

Overdose

Feb 8, 2008
Visit site
Shanka said:
I read a comparison with the qute and hugo on hifi+ or hifi world (sorry) and they said the hugo was way ahead but only someone 's opinion.

Unless specifications and test data are available to back up the claims, then opinion is all it is.

Hi-FiOutlaw

Apr 20, 2011
Visit site
I'm going to demo that "ugly" little box in this next few weeks, and try to get a home demo as well if I fell the need.

I've to work arround in my mind the aesthetic of "That thing", but if it good as they say, and if I fell for it maybe for christmas I can have a new DAC...

I would like Rega to have ready the new DAC for the years end...

Shanka

Jan 10, 2011
Visit site
I certainly haven't bought it for its looks, think all of Chord's dac's look ugly, the sound of the hugo to me was/is stunning, I was hugely suprised.

Intrigued to know how you get on with it, I think it will be a good improvement over the rega but it's always good to hear for yourself.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts