Oh NO! Cables again!!

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

Stuart83

Jul 22, 2023
Visit site
I found this whilst browsing through the comments on the "similar threads" section.

Thread 'Speaker cable - Tests and results from last nights fiddling...!' https://forums.whathifi.com/threads/speaker-cable-tests-and-results-from-last-nights-fiddling.79588/

I suppose if someone gets more pleasure from the expensive cables they buy then as hard as I find defending such a decision it's still a pleasure they have bought into non the less.

I myself tend to agree with it being the psychological difference I pointed out 2 posts ago.

Podknocker makes a valid point with pseudoscience making its impact on ones rational ability to make decisions.

If one pays more then one must get more?
Afterall it's a general rule of thumb with everything.

I've tried lying go myself before I think we have, I'm to analytical to pull it off though.
I've told myself I'm happy with speakers before because I payed more.
Even cycling genres all night to find one single song that sounded as good as my original speakers id replaced, then telling myself it sounded better.

I end up with a Cognitive dissonance going on in my head until I admit my mistake as I did when replacing an old failing Marantz cd52 mk2 with the 6007 thinking it was better only to repair the old one and swap them back.

Granted I later updated after another failure (draw jitter) to the cd60 which is very good and the actual upgrade I was after.
I've since repaired the cd52 again out of sentimental value, anyway I'm going off topic waiting to for the cement mixer to do it's thing so I can get on.

We all try to justify or rationalize a decision we've made or action we've have taken despite knowing deep down we've f?cked up.
Some even pull it off to such a degree they actually hear that difference.
It does seem within the hifi world to be something people fall for.

The guy at richer sounds went chapter and verse with me once when I joked with him after he asked what wire I use and I replied "lamp cord I found in the garage"

If he had his way id of payed as high an amount for the cable as they go in price.

Each to their own I suppose.
Its a shame I can't convince myself of other things been better therefore they are.

podknocker

If you type 'tyre pressure bar to psi' in google it will give you the calculation. A Bar is about 14.5 PSI. To add further confusion to the world of measurements, 1 PSI is around 6895 Pascals.

Last edited:
Reactions: DougK1

podknocker

Yes, the sticker inside the door gives both, but I find the bar reading pretty ‘coarse’ as the bar only shows to one decimal, which as you show is almost 1.5 psi.
It's about time the world sorted out this nonsense and decided to use SI units and nothing else. Converting stuff is leading to so many mistakes, in all areas. In such a technical and precise world, it must be easier to just have one unit for something you are measuring. In the UK you can show metric, but you must also show imperial, like 1 kilo being 2.2 pounds and 1 litre being 1.75 pints etc. It's nonsense.

Also, it should be the law to sell ice cream in 500ml tubs and not some random amount, like 420ml.

Are you listening Haagen Dazs?

Last edited:
Reactions: nopiano

podknocker

We left the EU a while back, but still use both which I don't understand. Why have two ways of measuring stuff?

I think we should abandon the old way and just use metric, because it is causing problems, with military and defence projects and space research.

Building tunnels, sewers and bridges and needing to bring in foreign investors and companies to assist.

Having just the metric system, globally, would be much easier for everything in life.

This country and perhaps the USA need to change their mindset and just be more practical about modern measurements. Having countries and companies needing to convert stuff in the first place, is the issue.

We order speaker leads in metres, not feet, so why not just be more sensible about this stuff?

The pint does my nut in also and you very rarely get a full pint these days as there's usually too much head.

Pint glasses used to have the pint line to show you were getting a full pint, but these lines have gone.

Bringing in 500ml glasses (with lines) would be OK if you were still paying the same for the same volume.

Last edited:

abacus

We left the EU a while back, but still use both which I don't understand. Why have two ways of measuring stuff?

I think we should abandon the old way and just use metric, because it is causing problems, with military and defence projects and space research.

Building tunnels, sewers and bridges and needing to bring in foreign investors and companies to assist.

Having just the metric system, globally, would be much easier for everything in life.

This country and perhaps the USA need to change their mindset and just be more practical about modern measurements. Having countries and companies needing to convert stuff in the first place, is the issue.

We order speaker leads in metres, not feet, so why not just be more sensible about this stuff?
Its generational, 10 & 20 years ago people were more into imperial, but as the younger generation come along it has gone more to metric and will continue to do so.
As to changing miles to kilometres, we currently can't afford it, as all signs would need to be replaced, plus only later model cars can be switched between miles and kilometres.
Amerca considers itself to be the centre of the universe, so they have no inclination to change.

Bill

Rui

Mar 23, 2021
Visit site
I found this whilst browsing through the comments on the "similar threads" section.

Thread 'Speaker cable - Tests and results from last nights fiddling...!' https://forums.whathifi.com/threads/speaker-cable-tests-and-results-from-last-nights-fiddling.79588/

I suppose if someone gets more pleasure from the expensive cables they buy then as hard as I find defending such a decision it's still a pleasure they have bought into non the less.

I myself tend to agree with it being the psychological difference I pointed out 2 posts ago.

Podknocker makes a valid point with pseudoscience making its impact on ones rational ability to make decisions.

If one pays more then one must get more?
Afterall it's a general rule of thumb with everything.

I've tried lying go myself before I think we have, I'm to analytical to pull it off though.
I've told myself I'm happy with speakers before because I payed more.
Even cycling genres all night to find one single song that sounded as good as my original speakers id replaced, then telling myself it sounded better.

I end up with a Cognitive dissonance going on in my head until I admit my mistake as I did when replacing an old failing Marantz cd52 mk2 with the 6007 thinking it was better only to repair the old one and swap them back.

Granted I later updated after another failure (draw jitter) to the cd60 which is very good and the actual upgrade I was after.
I've since repaired the cd52 again out of sentimental value, anyway I'm going off topic waiting to for the cement mixer to do it's thing so I can get on.

We all try to justify or rationalize a decision we've made or action we've have taken despite knowing deep down we've f?cked up.
Some even pull it off to such a degree they actually hear that difference.
It does seem within the hifi world to be something people fall for.

The guy at richer sounds went chapter and verse with me once when I joked with him after he asked what wire I use and I replied "lamp cord I found in the garage"

If he had his way id of payed as high an amount for the cable as they go in price.

Each to their own I suppose.
Its a shame I can't convince myself of other things been better therefore they are.
Philips always showed superiority in their hi-fi world, even in late 60´s they had perfect speakers to today´s standarts ,might look old and ready to sent them to the garbage but then i listen to other nice looking and brand new speakers that are normally expensive and not even half of it´s quality, like the monitor audio platinum 200(i´m not saying they are not good but not comparable with some late 60´s to mid 70´s speakers who were expensive at the time)like in 1993 i had to choose between a pair of JBL speakers and a BMW535i ,i kept the speakers and drove the still very good 1976 523i

Last edited:

Friesiansam

Its generational, 10 & 20 years ago people were more into imperial, but as the younger generation come along it has gone more to metric and will continue to do so.
As to changing miles to kilometres, we currently can't afford it, as all signs would need to be replaced, plus only later model cars can be switched between miles and kilometres.
Amerca considers itself to be the centre of the universe, so they have no inclination to change.

Bill
I started going to school in 1968 and, we were exclusively taught in metric, whilst using imperial away from school. Like DougK1, I can happily use either and, I always use metric for measuring.

My2Cents

Nov 10, 2023
Visit site
Funny... here is the side of the box of a QED 'connect' cable. It states: 6m (10ft)... I guess QED doesn't even know how many feet there are in a meter!

Attachments

• IMG_1135.jpg
    IMG_1135.jpg
    98.8 KB · Views: 6

My2Cents

Nov 10, 2023
Visit site

Bill
It's not Amerca
it's... 'merica
They should just pull up all the speed limit signs anyway, no one seems to obey them anymore.

Last edited:

abacus

18300.jpeg

podknocker

That map amuses me. The imperialist mindset still persists. The UK and the US need to move on this at some point, but as someone mentioned, the US is stubborn and it would cost to change signs and other stuff, but it could be an incremental move and not take a century. The world needs a standard to cope with trade, buildings, travel and just about anything you can think of. It is silly really, when we live in such a connected world.

My2Cents

Nov 10, 2023
Visit site
That map amuses me. The imperialist mindset still persists. The UK and the US need to move on this at some point, but as someone mentioned, the US is stubborn and it would cost to change signs and other stuff, but it could be an incremental move and not take a century. The world needs a standard to cope with trade, buildings, travel and just about anything you can think of. It is silly really, when we live in such a connected world.
Indeed, as post #49 stated (in the article link).
I have to say, I hate measuring things in inches.

I was building some guitars in Northern Ireland and, of course, we used mm's.
There was a young American at the workshop and he had recently graduated in engineering from Pen State. One day he stated... "it's so much easier using mm's to measure stuff than all those fractions of an inch"!!

Reactions: nopiano

podknocker

It’s the other way around. You can show metric only but, if you show imperial measurements, you must show metric as well.
Yes that's right, but why do we need imperial units at all? Who really wants know how many pounds AND kilos of fruit they are buying?

The metric system does allow for smaller tolerances to be measured, with so many things. I think 1mm is small enough for most everyday things, but not so much for scientific calibration etc.

Why would anyone want to measure this amount as 0.0393701 inches? Crackers.

My2Cents

Nov 10, 2023
Visit site
Yes that's right, but why do we need imperial units at all? Who really wants know how many pounds AND kilos of fruit they are buying?

The metric system does allow for smaller tolerances to be measured, with so many things. I think 1mm is small enough for most everyday things, but not so much for scientific calibration etc.

Why would anyone want to measure this amount as 0.0393701 inches? Crackers.
Yep... 5/127th of an inch... dead easy to read on a ruler right?

jy999

Feb 9, 2024
Visit site
Funny... here is the side of the box of a QED 'connect' cable. It states: 6m (10ft)... I guess QED doesn't even know how many feet there are in a meter!
Funnily enough, 6m is 20ft, not 10. Is it a pair of cables? they may have gotten confused.
6m of cables, 10ft each.

Not defending the bad label mind you, just trying to make sense :)

Reactions: DougK1 and Al ears
I'll never understand why people think it's worth 'sharing' videos of their setups - others will only hear sound as good as the kit they are using themselves - in my case the cheap speakers built into my laptop. Similar to those who post videos of the records they are listening to - both are very definitely not 'all about the music' to my mind. All rather self-congratulatory.

TRENDING THREADS