Not very impressed with Atmos

simonlewis

Apr 15, 2008
Visit site
I got my atmos speakers sorted today so far watched expendables 3 and john wick and not very impressed with atmos, *sad* i have re-run the audyssey and the speakers are working am i doing something wrong ?

grdunn123

Sep 24, 2007
Visit site
I had an Atmos demo in Richersounds a few weeks back and wasn't terribly impressed either. I watched a couple of demp clips, 1 with a 'helicopter' leaf winging it's way down from a branch and some other clip but neither had me spellbound.

TBH I couldn't really hear much difference from a decent 5.1 set up.

simonlewis

Apr 15, 2008
Visit site
In the last half an hour i have just altered the dynamic EQ which has altered the sound so i don't know if that will make a difference, btw the amp is a Denon AVR-X2200W.

simonlewis

Apr 15, 2008
Visit site
21685386525_6c34ff07b8_k.jpg

Series1boy

Oct 14, 2013
Visit site
simonlewis said:
I've altered the dynamic eq so i may give the gunman at watch tomorrow and see how i get on.

im installing front heights and rears on my x4100 with some focal satellites for a 5.1.4 with my Denon power amp. They are not Atmos speakers so they will have to point to the listening angle I.e. Direct in front and behind me from the four corners of my ceiling. If I was going to have them direct above, like you then, I Would be purchasing atmos down firing speakers installed within the ceiling the same as BB. Why don't you move the speakers and put them to an angle firing at you and wider apart?

Series1boy said:
simonlewis said:
I've altered the dynamic eq so i may give the gunman at watch tomorrow and see how i get on.

im installing front heights and rears on my x4100 with some focal satellites for a 5.1.4 with my Denon power amp. They are not Atmos speakers so they will have to point to the listening angle I.e. Direct in front and behind me from the four corners of my ceiling. If I was going to have them direct above, like you then, I Would be purchasing atmos down firing speakers installed within the ceiling the same as BB. Why don't you move the speakers and put them to an angle firing at you and wider apart?

Front and rear heights are also listed in Atmos configuration. Check page 12 and page 28 here.

D

Deleted member 2457

rocketrazor said:

Just thought I'd let you know there is a man with a funny mask at your door *biggrin* thought I'd mention it as no one else has!
Looks like an alien! lol

Series1boy

Oct 14, 2013
Visit site
bigboss said:
Series1boy said:
simonlewis said:

Front and rear heights are also listed in Atmos configuration. Check page 12 and page 28 here.

thats what I was trying to get across and will be in my config :)

ideal av

Apr 23, 2012
Visit site
and so did I on the other forum

you cannot blame Atmos when your implementation of the speakers will ruin it for you, your main interest was the light fitting when you came to me to hear Atmos

you said you loved it but wouldn't or didn't take good advice on board which is a shame

you really do need to take notice or whats the point in asking for advice in the first place

bin the light and or move the speakers and you will then start to get good Atmos

Allan

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
Atmos will be compromised in the home for the same reason 5.1 is - most people are limited as to where they can put their speakers. It's fine if you have a dedicated room - go bananas - but in the average living room, which is where the majority of home cinema systems are, there are limitations imposed by furniture, as well as spouses...

As most people struggle to implement 5.1 properly, asking the average household to double the amount of speakers is a big ask - and this is on top of asking them to upgrade their DVD player and start buying suitably enabled Blu-ray Discs.

Benedict_Arnold

Jan 16, 2013
Visit site
David@FrankHarvey said:
as well as spouses...

You mean ESPECIALLY spouses *biggrin*

Answer me this. My media room is about 14 feet wide by 22 feet long (I'm at work so no tape measure handy), no windows, flat ceiling, door in the back corner of one of the long walls. Celing height is about 8 feet at the back, and the floor steps down so the ceiling (which is flat) is about 9 feet high above the short "TV wall". All the walls and ceiling are plasterboard, or sheetrock as the Americans call it.

Currently I have two front in-wall speakers, set about 30 inches to their centres in from the side walls and about 40 inches down from the ceiling to the tweeters (each of which are set in-between two woofers - one above and one below). They point straight out into the room. The centre speaker, for now, is under the TV, but later will be in the wall in the middle of the projector screen.

The overhead speakers are set in the ceiling half-way down the room, about 30 inches in from the walls. They're concentric woofer and tweeter jobs.

The rear speakers are set in the rear wall about 40 inches down from the ceiling pointing straight into the room. They're non-concentric woofer plus tweet jobs with the tweeters currently set above the woofers - I can easily turn them upside down, however.

There's a single powered subwoofer right now. I'll probably add another one for extra "oomph" at some point.

Ultimately, I'd like to add "proper stereo" speakers, using these as the fronts, and the existing fronts as "front highs" or "front wides". I also have the option to add one more "stereo" speaker in the middle of the ceiling. A Yamaha NS-ICS600 unit would be used. This is supposed to give left and right from two slightly offset tweeters and one shared woofer.

The media room is under the attic, so it''s easy enough to run extra speaker wires to anywhere within reason that I could wish to.

Questions:

1, I am thinking the front and rear speakers are set a little too high for ideal. Should I worry? 'er indoors will go bananas if I cut more holes just to move them up or down. As I said, it's easy enough, though, to turn the rears upside-down.

2, Should I add another pair of overhead speakers closer to the back wall (where the couch is) or not bother?

3, Should I forget about using the in-wall fronts at all once I get the "proper stereo" speakers I want (probably ProAc Studio 140 Mark 2 or Studio 148)?

4, At the risk of loosing my manly parts to a rusty breadknife, should I think about adding some "side" speakers in the middle of the long walls or not bother?

5, What about the front middle I mentioned above?

6, How on earth does the receiver figure out where all these speakers are anyway?

I'm thinking about a Yamaha RX-A2050 receiver which I believe will do 7.1.2 or 5.1.4 Atmos. Currently I have an Onkyo TX-NR717 which won't do either 4K pass-through or Atmos, which is why it's going to be replaced sooner rather than later.

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
It's a little hard to visualise your whole system despite the description, which makes it harder to answer questions about your system, but I'll try...

Benedict_Arnold said:
1, I am thinking the front and rear speakers are set a little too high for ideal. Should I worry? 'er indoors will go bananas if I cut more holes just to move them up or down. As I said, it's easy enough, though, to turn the rears upside-down.
As long as you're within the ideal dispersion of the drivers, they should be fine where they are. Their position matters much more if you're very close to them, but the further you are away from two speakers, the wider their dispersion is. I would only worry if you were way off axis.

2, Should I add another pair of overhead speakers closer to the back wall (where the couch is) or not bother?
Do you feel this aspect of your soundfield is lacking? I usually find that rear speakers placed above head height can give good overhead effects.

3, Should I forget about using the in-wall fronts at all once I get the "proper stereo" speakers I want (probably ProAc Studio 140 Mark 2 or Studio 148)?
If it was my own system, I'd try not to mix conventional cabinet speakers with in-wall speakers, but I appreciate that sometimes it cannot be avoided in certain situations. I can't really comment on how well everything will gel together as I don't know what in-wall speakers you have, nor having heard your set up.

4, At the risk of loosing my manly parts to a rusty breadknife, should I think about adding some "side" speakers in the middle of the long walls or not bother?
Again, do you feel that your system is lacking in this area? Do you feel held back by not having them?

5, What about the front middle I mentioned above?
Are you referring to the Yamaha speaker? Again, it is hard to say as I can't quite get a proper handle on your layout, but it depends if the speaker itself is up to the quality of the rest of the speakers - I wouldn't put a speaker somewhere just because I could - I'd rather not bother if it wasn't up to the same quality/capabilities of the other speakers.

6, How on earth does the receiver figure out where all these speakers are anyway?
The speaker connections on the back of the receiver will be marked for specific places, so it'll know what each speaker's job is supposed to be - it's just then down to the auto setup to sort out distances and levels. The auto EQ should help different manufacturer's speakers to sound more like each other, but again, I wouldn't use it as a main fix.m

I'm thinking about a Yamaha RX-A2050 receiver which I believe will do 7.1.2 or 5.1.4 Atmos. Currently I have an Onkyo TX-NR717 which won't do either 4K pass-through or Atmos, which is why it's going to be replaced sooner rather than later.
The AV receiver is going to govern the quality of everything. Your speakers can be the best speakers in the world, but if the processing, pre-amplification, power amplification, and DAC implementation of the receiver isn't up to scratch, or is the weak point in the system, the quality (and amount of) speakers cannot make up for it. Get the best AV receiver you can. Personally, I'd look at the RXA3050, especially if you're looking to run high quality hi-fi speakers from it. But either will be an upgrade on the 717.

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
Son_of_SJ said:
David, you've taken a lot of trouble over that reply, and you are a busy man, with a shop to run! Thank you!
I don't run the store, I just work in it - but I'm off on holiday this week :)

I would've replied more in depth, but as I say, it's hard to get a handle on the room layout.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts