New Tv Decision - Please Help !!

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hello all.

I'm new around here so please be gentle.

Basically, i'm on the hunt for a new tv. Preferably 46" as we've just had a massive re-jig of our lounge due to decorating.

The tv will be wall mounted over our fireplace (complete with decorative electric fire that is NEVER turned on, just thought i'd add that to clarify there will be no hazard risk).

For the past 5 years we've made do with an old samsung 32" lcd that has lived in the corner of the lounge for the whole of it's life, but now that we're re-arranging the room we've got no room for anything bigger than that size in it's current location, henceforth we decided to mount our next tv on the wall.

Viewing distance would be just over 3.2m in the new location (it must have been near enough 4m with the old one in the corner !!).

Over the past couple of weeks i've been doing a lot of research on tv's, trying hard to get my choice down to at least 2 but even that is proving tricky. I sort of half decided on the LG 47LH5000 the other day (£999 from currys), but with the extremely poor review it recieved on here it's completely thrown me off course. I was tempted to bite down on my need for a 46" and simply go for the 42" LG5000, but size wise I feel a 46" would be better suited to the wall (plus i'm a sucker for bigger things !!)

Another little dilemma is, do I stick with Lcd, or attempt to join the ranks of the plasma lovers?. Both types have the expected pro's/con's but I'm just too worried about taking the plunge with a plasma because i've never had any experience with them, or even know anyone who has had any experience with them. Plus I have totally unqualified friends waffling on about how unreliable they can be and "if the bulbs goes your screwed" type nonsense that I don't care to really listen to.

I've seen some pretty nice plasma's in currys, ranging from £400-£900 (mostly samsung ones too), but with not having a clue about them I didn't know if they were any good or if they had been reviewed on here etc. The one at £400 was a nice looking samsung one (no idea about model unfortunately but the picture was fab), but i'm assuming it must have been a clearance/discontinued/ex-display model for that price and i'm not keen on buying things that are nearing extinction.

I play a lot of games (PS3/360/Wii etc), so the input lag has always been at the forefront of my mind as well as picture quality. Don't really watch many blu-ray movies but with the right tv i'd like to start building up my collection. Also planning on getting SkyHD before christmas so thats another thing to add to the mix.

I'm looking for a budget of around £1000, probably impossible by todays standards but i'm hoping someone out there could at least point me in the right direction.

Thanks in advance for any advice given.

Garth Man

Dec 1, 2008
Visit site
http://whathifi.com/Review/Samsung-PS50B650/

This is a 50 inch beauty with great picture and features, the Panasonic's are very good also, but I would go for this

These do retail under £1000 with some googling

If the room you have is very bright, then maybe a LCD may be better, but I prefer Plasma
emotion-4.gif

50 inch is the way to go!!!

The_Lhc

Oct 16, 2008
Visit site
You lost me at "over the fireplace", utter waste of time buying anything decent if that's where you're going to put it, you might as well just put a nice painting up there.

A

Anonymous

the_lhc:You lost me at "over the fireplace", utter waste of time buying anything decent if that's where you're going to put it, you might as well just put a nice painting up there.

Well unfortunately I haven't been blessed with a huge lounge with massive open walls to place anything on, so i'm having to make the best with what i've got. And the fireplace itself is rather low, so "up there" isn't really that high.

And i'm not really an enthusiast when it comes to stuff like tv/speakers/surround sound etc so it's not like I have to think or worry about where things are going.

I just want a nice big picture for HD tv and games.

A

Anonymous

the_lhc:You lost me at "over the fireplace", utter waste of time buying anything decent if that's where you're going to put it, you might as well just put a nice painting up there.

I'm interested to know why? I'm considering the PS50B850 and planning on wall mounting it in the centre of the main wall. We dont have a fireplace though.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts