new to the idea of headphones

smuggs

Feb 19, 2009
Visit site
My b'day is on the 4th of april and the old dear has asked what i would like as a present around the £50-75 mark so as im getting my dac magic in 3 weeks i was sort of ideas but then thought i have no headphones.

I would like some over the ear ones. i like the grado60i's but i cant be that rude. My mum will shop on either play or amazon i guess so what are the options for me. I have seen the goldrings ns 1000 are the ones at £49.99 but i guess they will be sold out by april the 6th when i get to pick?

Next question is i will need to buy a longer lead myself which i will buy myself in a couple of weeks i am 3.5m-5m away so how much should i be spending on a longer lead?

I will need an adaptor to make the small 3.5jack bigger they they make a differance or is a cheap one good enough?

when i play itunes/spotify through accer 7540 laptop> dcamagic > arcam alpha9. The arcam has a headphone socket i will be using that, will it be anygood if not can you add headphone amps to stereo amps?

many thanks simon

professorhat

Dec 28, 2007
Visit site
Well, those Goldrings have been £49.99 for quite a few months now (ordered mine back in November at that price), so I'd be surprised if they weren't still going at that price in April. I think they're excellent, but have to admit to limited exposure to on-ear phones at any price range - see here and here - might be helpful if you haven't seen them already.

I'm also on the lookout for an extension lead for my Goldrings - at the moment, the only one I've seen and confirmed is good is this one but at 4.5m, is quite a bit longer than I need! Could well be perfect for yourself though.

Headphone amps? Have a look here!

smuggs

Feb 19, 2009
Visit site
nice well happy they might still be in stock in 10 or so days. And £30 seems alot for a longer lead but i should be able to get that start of may. I guess this can be used for years if i ever upgrade. i need it that long cause ill just sit down on the sofa and the amp is the left of the speakers,tv ect.

professorhat

Dec 28, 2007
Visit site
Agreed, and there may well be a lead better suited for you for less money, but in my limited investigation so far, this was the only one that I've tracked down as definitely a good lead from opinions I trust!

Big Chris

Apr 3, 2008
Visit site
Grado themselves say you can use up to three of their extension cables with no degradation in quality. Only got the one myself, but the idea of plugging into my Hi-Fi in the lounge and listening upstairs in bed is quite appealing.
emotion-2.gif

smuggs

Feb 19, 2009
Visit site
just not sure how good the headphones plugged into the arcam alpha 9 will be. i keep hearing headphone amps. If my built in one was a headphone amp how much would it be worth

smuggs

Feb 19, 2009
Visit site
thats what we talking about £8 its on the watchlist and im getting the goldrings ns 1000 a week tuesday so fingers crossed that they still have some.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts