New site: known issues

Page 6 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

The_Lhc

Oct 16, 2008
Visit site
laserman16 said:
The_Lhc said:
Use a decent browser then, the site works perfectly in Chrome.

As IE8 is probably one of the most popular browsers in use on this Forum perhaps people expect it to work.

Tell it to Microsoft, if they'd adhered to the appropriate standards in the first place we wouldn't have all these issues.

laserman16

Nov 23, 2007
Visit site
The_Lhc said:
laserman16 said:
The_Lhc said:

As IE8 is probably one of the most popular browsers in use on this Forum perhaps people expect it to work.

Tell it to Microsoft, if they'd adhered to the appropriate standards in the first place we wouldn't have all these issues.

I'll email Bill....

kena

May 28, 2008
Visit site
The_Lhc said:
laserman16 said:
The_Lhc said:

IE9 adheres to standards and it don't work either.. but as earlier post I understand about not supporting Beta Code and it only came live the other day.

Chrome works yes but the fact the site doesn't work on IE is not a reflection on IE..

xtsili

Jun 24, 2010
Visit site
Andrew Everard said:
xtsili said:
and a minor correction of grammatical nautre: the plural of "forum" is "fora" to be precise.

And a minor correction of a spelling nature: I think you mean nature, not nautre.

In English, as opposed to Latin, 'forums' is as acceptable as 'fora', xtsilum.

I thought once "forum" is latin and not english the plural shoud be also in latin. I have encountered this form in other Anglosaxonic literature - apart from European english - and that' s why I am suggesting it - Ave Andrew - as opposed to Caesar.

kena

May 28, 2008
Visit site
The_Lhc said:
kena said:
Chrome works yes but the fact the site doesn't work on IE is not a reflection on IE..

Hmm, the only people I've noticed complaining are using IE, so in what way doesn't it reflect on IE?

Doh, The site doesn't work on IE, still one of the most popular browsers , An earlier post from JD said it's working on IE7 but he'd have to load up a machine with IE8 to test(Released 2009)..Yeah it's Bill's fault!

John Duncan

kena said:
The_Lhc said:
kena said:

Hmm, the only people I've noticed complaining are using IE, so in what way doesn't it reflect on IE?
Doh, The site doesn't work on IE, still one of the most popular browsers , An earlier post from JD said it's working on IE7 but he'd have to load up a machine with IE8 to test(Released 2009)..Yeah it's Bill's fault!

1) Actual view: I don't actually give a **** whose fault it is, 25% of my users could be having having problems and I want to fix them.

2) Dispassionate view: If 75% of browsers work OK, and 25% don't...

kena

May 28, 2008
Visit site
John Duncan said:
kena said:
The_Lhc said:
kena said:

1) Actual view: I don't actually give a **** whose fault it is, 25% of my users could be having having problems and I want to fix them.

2) Dispassionate view: If 75% of browsers work OK, and 25% don't...

Wouldn't have thought otherwise re point 1 , 2) Straight Question , So is it an oversight or just a **** up it don't work then!

John Duncan

kena said:
2) Straight Question , So is it an oversight or just a **** up it don't work then!

Straight answer - don't know. If I install IE8 on my laptop (non-trivial, I'm finding) and I can easily recreate the problem, I'd say it's a **** up. If not, it's just bad luck I'd say, and we'll do what we can to investigate and rectify ASAP.

kena

May 28, 2008
Visit site
John Duncan said:
kena said:
2) Straight Question , So is it an oversight or just a **** up it don't work then!

Straight answer - don't know. If I install IE8 on my laptop (non-trivial, I'm finding) and I can easily recreate the problem, I'd say it's a **** up. If not, it's just bad luck I'd say, and we'll do what we can to investigate and rectify ASAP.

Ok, FYI - I've just failed to post on my music system XP Pro/IE8 (Current) which was reloaded from scratch about a month ago..And is just bare bones music system no other apps apart from Foobar, firewall/virus running.

TALON1973

May 26, 2008
Visit site
i know updates on forums are nice , and glad adminds are trying ... admire you :) but JD if you say it works for you in ie 7 and otehr say ie 8 AND 9 have problems , there must be something wrong :(

keep up the good work tho and hope it gets fixed soon

John Duncan

kena said:
John Duncan said:
kena said:

Ok, FYI - I've just failed to post on my music system XP Pro/IE8 (Current) which was reloaded from scratch about a month ago..And is just bare bones music system no other apps apart from Foobar, firewall/virus running.

This is a test of IE8. Looks like a bug because I can see that the HTML is being updated, but it doesn't show on the screen. Weird...

John Duncan

Ken - I just added whathifi.com to the list of sites to view in 'compatibility mode' and voilá...

A temporary solution only - I'll need to see if updates to TinyMCE resolve the issue, but it's a start. Now to upgrade to IE9!

vinod_david

Nov 18, 2007
Visit site
Wow, the 'blob turns green' at last. Thanks. Red, no?
smiley-sealed.gif

laserman16

Nov 23, 2007
Visit site
John Duncan said:
kena said:
John Duncan said:
kena said:

This is a test of IE8. Looks like a bug because I can see that the HTML is being updated, but it doesn't show on the screen. Weird...

Ok so still having problems with IE8 so downloaded Chrome and things are a lot better, posted this in Chrome.

Definitely seems to be a problem between IE8 and the site.

laserman16

Nov 23, 2007
Visit site
laserman16 said:
John Duncan said:
kena said:
John Duncan said:
kena said:

Ok so still having problems with IE8 so downloaded Chrome and things are a lot better, posted this in Chrome.

Definitely seems to be a problem between IE8 and the site.

Ok back on IE8 and things are ok now, very strange, only thing I've done is cleared my cache.

Links post ok as well.

Another thing, when the new site went online I had no problem, they seem to have manifested themselves after a couple of days

kena

May 28, 2008
Visit site
John,

Compatibility mode also does the trick on IE9 , posting this with RTF on and IE9 Compatibility mode switched on . Its not easy to find it's tucked away in F12 Developer Tools
smiley-smile.gif

John Duncan

kena said:
John,

Compatibility mode also does the trick on IE9 , posting this with RTF on and IE9 Compatibility mode switched on . Its not easy to find it's tucked away in F12 Developer Tools
smiley-smile.gif

I figured that would be the case, though did go through the process of installing IE9 (after installing the prerequisites of SP1 and SP2...). Though I haven't specifically turned on compatibility mode in IE9 - am presuming that settings were carried over from the IE8 install I did last night...

scene

Sizzers said:
Sorry, but this is just a disaster for my mobile use, either Opera Mobile or Mini. Think I'll just stick to the mag!!

I'm using my iPad right now, and it seems no worse than the old site. Little bit annoying having to repress the disable rich text after a preview, but otherwise seems good :)

daveh75

Sizzers said:
Sorry, but this is just a disaster for my mobile use, either Opera Mobile or Mini. Think I'll just stick to the mag!!

I'm using Opera Mini with no issues, only difference between posting on the old and new site is I now have to disable rich text before posting.

Hardly a disaster, in fact i find it an improvement over the old site as the comment box was tiny and is now much larger and you can see what you've typed...

TRENDING THREADS