New site: known issues

Page 8 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

manicm

maxflinn said:
i've tried many times now to delete albert and use tuco as my avatar, but albert won't go away :O

images

edit.. just logged on using my android phone and my avatar is tuco, but albert on my pc. strange..

The Good The Bad and The Ugly is probably my favourite movie ever!

Clare Newsome

Jun 4, 2007
Visit site
John Duncan said:
Hint to anybody reading this who can do anything about the avatars: it's probably the CDN - talk to Gareth...

Gareth's on hols for two weeks :(

BUT - lots of updates going to be worked on from next week onwards, everyone. Thanks for your continued patience and feedback.

gpi

Mar 29, 2008
Visit site
Andrew Everard said:
Jason36 said:
Just emailing you because I can still only post with Rich Text Disabled...is this a problem with the new forum using explorer 8? I cant actually post post copied pictures into the forums...i.e. what are you listening to.

And you can only post pictures hosted elsewhere: see here for more on that.

1) Avatar uploads should now work for everyone!

- To upload your avatar, go to your 'My account' page, click 'Edit' and scroll down to the section labelled 'Picture'.

Here you can upload your picture – Maximum dimensions are 85x85 pixels and the maximum size is 30 kB – and, once you've confirmed your password, click 'save' to update your account details.

Did all that several times and it aint playin ball.

gpi

Mar 29, 2008
Visit site
Sizzers said:
gpi said:
gpi said:
I can't change my avatar. I've tried several times but the current pic keeps popping back or deletes altogether. I've also uploaded my new pic (which is a jpeg 85 x 68 px, 2.1 KB) to photobucket but can't see a way of using any link from that. I also tried deleting all the whathifi cookies, logged back in but still no joy.

OK, I'll stick with the one I've got. :(

Guess we'll have to! The annoying thing is that a new avatar shows up fine in your account settings but doesn't transfer on to the forum page.

Same here. I just went back into 'My account' and my new pic is showing there but not in the threads. Maybe it takes time.

Sliced Bread

I'm afraid, I'm having trouble posting.

After selecting reply, if I leave the page to load completely I am unable to type in the dialogue box. I can work around this by pushing stop on the browser before the screen finishes loading.

Problem experienced on both IE8 with windows 7 and htc desire

John Duncan

Sliced Bread said:
I'm afraid, I'm having trouble posting. After selecting reply, if I leave the page to load completely I am unable to type in the dialogue box. I can work around this by pushing stop on the browser before the screen finishes loading. Problem experienced on both IE8 with windows 7 and htc desire

The IE8 issue will almost certainly be fixed by turning on compatibility mode in the browser, as discussed here. As for your phone, haven't got a desire to hand, but the issue will almost certainly be resolved by clicking on 'Disable rich-text' below the text box. It limits your ability to add formatting, but should be sufficient when you're posting out and about.

Sliced Bread

John Duncan said:
Sliced Bread said:
I'm afraid, I'm having trouble posting. After selecting reply, if I leave the page to load completely I am unable to type in the dialogue box. I can work around this by pushing stop on the browser before the screen finishes loading. Problem experienced on both IE8 with windows 7 and htc desire

The IE8 issue will almost certainly be fixed by turning on compatibility mode in the browser, as discussed here. As for your phone, haven't got a desire to hand, but the issue will almost certainly be resolved by clicking on 'Disable rich-text' below the text box. It limits your ability to add formatting, but should be sufficient when you're posting out and about.
Thanks John. I'll give it a try.

The_Lhc

Oct 16, 2008
Visit site
We're getting an awful lot of double posts with the new software, does anyone know if this is the forum software itself or because people are posting their message, not seeing it immediately when they refresh the forum and posting it again?

We're also getting a lot more spammers since the switchover but I don't know why the new software would make any difference to that.

BenLaw

Nov 21, 2010
Visit site
Fwiw I think double posts are probably usually from a slow connection, such as a phone on 3G. Submit, or 'save', is pressed, little seems to happen, so it's pressed again, then 2 posts appear.

A

Anonymous

i've tried to change my avatar several times, there should be a cute little puppy in there but i can't get rid of that fella smoking the cigarette...

A

Anonymous

daveh75 said:
maxflinn said:
i've tried to change my avatar several times, there should be a cute little puppy in there but i can't get rid of that fella smoking the cigarette...

You need to delete your current avatar first, then upload the new one...
i've done that several times dave, but no joy..

Lost Angeles

Apr 24, 2008
Visit site
Why has the edit function disappeared?

Edit AND HOW COME ITS RE-APPEARED NOW I'VE POSTED THIS? and yet I could not edit something I had previously posted which had a spelling mistake in it.

daveh75

Lost Angeles said:
Why has the edit function disappeared?

Edit AND HOW COME ITS RE-APPEARED NOW I'VE POSTED THIS? and yet I could not edit something I had previously posted which had a spelling mistake in it.

You can only edit a post if it hasn't been replied to...

nads

Sizzers

Jun 20, 2008
Visit site
Apologies if this has been covered before, but why do my paragraphs disappear when I edit a post? Thanks.

EDIT: And also after when you've had to type in those squiggly letters/numbers? Makes me look illiterate! lol

A

Anonymous

please, please paaallleeeezzzzzzaaaa....

can someone get rid of my smoking man avatar?????

HELP ME....... :(

Clare Newsome

Jun 4, 2007
Visit site
Puzzling... I just deleted your avatar and re-uploaded the Marty Feldman pic - all of which is showing in your user profile. But still Jason King persists.

Time to clear cache, I reckon (and that may be our cache!)

John Duncan

The directory that contains the avatars is not being flushed at the CDN. compare and contrast:

http://cdn.whathifi.com/sites/whathifi.com/files/imagecache/advf-author-pane/pictures/picture-1031567.jpg

(the cached picture on the content delivery network server)

http://www.whathifi.com/sites/whathifi.com/files/imagecache/advf-author-pane/pictures/picture-1031567.jpg

(the picture on the website server)

Get Internet Ops to flush the CDN and add that directory to the flushing routine...

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts