New site: known issues

John Duncan

Here's the list of things that we acknowledge are wrong with the new site (or at least the ones that affect users, as opposed to those at a tech level or only affecting editorial users). Feel free to add new ones...

Advanced search filters not appearing in certain key categories such as TV's and home cinema amplifiers
Site search results inconsistent in ordering.
Most read news block needs to be time limited to within last month
Most read blogs needs to be time limited to within last month
Videos missing page furniture - Missing links to other videos beneath the video player.
Forum - improve font of user name.
Forum - change date format
Forum - latest posts - headline font
Forum - latest posts page - date should be 'Today/Yesterday/Date' and not bold.
Forum - if replies = 0, show "-"
Forum - Add pager to active topics individual posts
Forum - formatting for subforums (eg Headphones and turntables in hifi)
Forum - Go button drops down on some browsers
Forum - pagination at top of page as well as bottom.
Forum - Better selection of smileys.
Forum - landing (eg Hi fi) - remove 'updated'
Forum - landing (eg Hi fi) - remove '[##] new'
Forum - landing (eg Hi fi) - change 'by {link to username}' to {link to latest post with word 'by' before it}
Forum - Skyscraper ends up in footer on first page of forum thread.
Forum - reduce whitespace between replies
User page - could do with layout tidy up
User page - Add last 10 user's posts to user biog

EDIT - Additions:

Forum landing pages (eg Home CInema) don't page when not logged in.

floyd droid

Sep 5, 2008
Visit site
I changed my emither address and then checked the delete current avatar. Browse and uploaded another foatie. Clicked save and after an aeon got a server not responding or something like that, cant remember exactly. Although it did read 'we are aware of the problem'.

Gimme a couple of mins and i will try again.

simonlewis

Apr 15, 2008
Visit site
John Duncan said:
Try it one step at a time - remove avatar/save/upload avatar/save/change other stuff/save?

I am also having trouble uploading my avatar, i have also tried that JD but still get the error page.

A

Anonymous

i've tried many times now to delete albert and use tuco as my avatar, but albert won't go away :O

images

edit.. just logged on using my android phone and my avatar is tuco, but albert on my pc. strange..

John I'm still getting the same as yesterday. The below message only comes up when trying to load avatar.
Internal Server Error
The server encountered an internal error or misconfiguration and was unable to complete your request.

Please contact the server administrator, root@localhost and inform them of the time the error occurred, and anything you might have done that may have caused the error.

More information about this error may be available in the server error log.

visionary

Apr 4, 2008
Visit site
ummm...

perhaps I have misunderstood but isn't the point of "mark all as read" to get rid of the "updated" flags. Doesn't work for me so EVERYTHING since the changeover shows as updated

idc

I deleted my old avatar, saved, it changed back to the grey man and then I loaded my new one, after experienceing similar problems to the above because it was too large a file size (the width etc was fine, but the file was still too big, if you know what I mean) and saved it and volia!

floyd droid

Sep 5, 2008
Visit site
idc said:
I deleted my old avatar, saved, it changed back to the grey man and then I loaded my new one, after experienceing similar problems to the above because it was too large a file size (the width etc was fine, but the file was still too big, if you know what I mean) and saved it and volia!

Brilliant.As you can see the first bit worked,lol.

Well it did cos i was the grey man. Hmm got shpongs to upload but not a tube foatie. Will investigate further my end, after yet another smoke.

floyd droid

Sep 5, 2008
Visit site
Hey John its my avatar file size thats the issue, i think ?, told you many times im not a pooter freak. So i would guess thats why other folk are having problemos, again i think !. Guess i should have read the max size bit, seems a tad on the small size mind cos i want folk to see what a mans amp looks like,lol.

floyd droid said:
Hey John its my avatar file size thats the issue, i think ?, told you many times im not a pooter freak. So i would guess thats why other folk are having problemos, again i think !. Guess i should have read the max size bit, seems a tad on the small size mind cos i want folk to see what a mans amp looks like,lol.

How do you change size of picture? I have mine on windows word 2003. I've tried right clicking the mouse and resizing the original shots, but nothing comes up.

idc

Yes, it is the maximum size of 30kb that caught me out, not the dimensions, which I was using irfan view to resize. It made the image the right dimensions, but somehow it retained the old images bigger 1.1 mb size.

So I put the iamge into flickr and resized it to the small avatar dimensions and for some reason it did make the actual file size smaller to under 30kb and that is when it worked.

John Duncan

It's definitely file size that causes the issue. I played around with upping file size limits but t cause layout issues in the user rofile (though not forum posts themselves) - will need to work on that. Keep avatar size to 85x85 and file size to 30k in the meantime and you should be fine.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts