New Rega Elex-R amplifier.

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.
stevebrock said:
plastic penguin said:
stevebrock said:
yes Makka I am going for counselling

Stevey-boy, go and purge your demons and listen to one.

I'll be interested in your findings (given your expertise with Rega), and I'll take in everything you say. ;)

Can't wait

Sooner rather than later would be good. Any info you can pass back will be of use to any potential Rega buyers.

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
plastic penguin said:
chebby said:
Rega Elex-R

11055.jpg

£898

Nothing on Rega's website yet.

A Google search seems to show that everyone else (and his brother) knows about it by now, it so we might as well have a look at it too.

Is this a direct replacement for the Brio-R?

As with Rega's amplifier range in the 90s, the Elex sits between the Brio on a Elicit.

stevebrock said:
plastic penguin said:
stevebrock said:
plastic penguin said:
stevebrock said:
Kudos to you PP - a sense of humour at last !

At last? Nah, its always been there. You need to know how to peel back the layers. :)

You mean all the colouration, brightness :):):):)

Nope - my music always has a pulse. :grin:

PP thank ****, your getting it !

Nope, you've got me there.

matthewpiano

The new Elex-R does look good. I was very impressed with the Elicit-R when I heard it. It well and truly took hold of a pair of B&W CM10s and made them disappear. A very different beast to the Brio-R (as you would expect given the price difference). The Elex-R could potentially be a very strong prospect in the sub £1k amp market.

NHL

Nov 12, 2009
Visit site
MUSICRAFT said:
matthewpiano said:
The Elex-R could potentially be a very strong prospect in the sub £1k amp market.

Hi Matthew

Should be :)

All the best

Rick @ Musicraft

The amp will be the new market leader in the sub £1k amp market, this time Rega have got so much feedback from their other two offerings.

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
NHL said:
The amp will be the new market leader in the sub £1k amp market, this time Rega have got so much feedback from their other two offerings.

Perhaps a slightly pre-mature statement though it would be good for Rega if that was the case.

I can't help thinking though they somewhat missed the boat by not including a DAC or at least the option to fit one in this day and age. That is unless I've missed something. This would really have differentiated the amplifier from most of the rest and brought it roughly in line with Creeks offering which is substantially cheaper (and includes a lovely oled display for good measure).

regards

Vladimir

Dec 26, 2013
Visit site
If I had a Brio-R and my own DAC, I would most likely upgrade to the Elex-R. :? 900 pounders are usualy for upgraders, not beginners and they all have standalone DACs that will equal or better any DAC in an integrated amp.

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
Vladimir said:
If I had a Brio-R and my own DAC, I would most likely upgrade to the Elex-R. :? 900 pounders are usualy for upgraders, not beginners and they all have standalone DACs that will equal or better any DAC in an integrated amp.

Again, a very broad (and totally subjective) comment.

DAC's are cheap, the most expensive ones often not measuring better than cheaper ones and AV receivers have been including them for years (along with other useful facilities).

To set an amplifier apart nowadays it has to offer something different imho. They all sound good and they all have broadly similar power (yes, yes I know, the K2 has more, even though the caspian has less).

My guess would be that a substantial amount of money has gone on the casing and related tooling. Not a bad thing and probably inevitable as they wouldn't have used the elicit-R enclosure but the money could have been spent elsewhere. My guess is the next generation, a year down the line, after they clinched back some money for the new casing, will have a DAC built-in and that it will sound as good as a 'stand-alone' one.

regards

Sospri

Mar 23, 2011
Visit site
chebby said:
David@FrankHarvey said:
It'll be interesting to pitch this against the Nait 5Si...

It'll be fascinating up to the point where the Rega breaks and the Nait locks up because someone else in the shop is using a remote with RC5 code :)

Can't stop sticking your knife in can you chebby...............

matthewpiano

NHL said:
MUSICRAFT said:
matthewpiano said:
The Elex-R could potentially be a very strong prospect in the sub £1k amp market.

Hi Matthew

Should be :)

All the best

Rick @ Musicraft

It has a lot of competition to contend with. In particular, the Exposure 2010S2 will be a hard nut for Rega to crack (Exposure product gives Rega problems at both of its existing price points), and there is also the Naim Nait, Creek Evolution 50A, Croft Integrated, Sugden Mystro and others.

'Market leader' is a pretty false term in my estimation, especially when there are so many brands making quality product.

matthewpiano

stevebrock said:
I guess it will all come down to how it sounds !

I dont think Rega need to worry about the Nait 5si !

Not where I'm concerned they won't. I'm not a huge fan, but many people are so it will be stiff competition for Rega all the same.

As you say, it really comes down to how it sounds.

Rega would always be a strong contender for me alongside Exposure and Creek. These are three brands who make equipment which somehow brings the music to life and makes you forget about the equipment.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts