New Rega Elex-R amplifier.

Page 4 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

NHL

Nov 12, 2009
Visit site
Freddy58 said:
NHL said:
Freddy58 said:
NHL said:
Freddy58 said:
JamesMellor said:
Vladimir said:
Cypher said:
I love simplistic designs but why does all British equipment look so cheap/ugly ?

<LOL> I've owned 2 intregated ,2 pre and 4 power amps over the last 25 years ,all NAD , you wanna talk about ugly ? <LOL>

Yep, them (Nad) is ugly. Being somewhat shallow, I've always ruled them out.

The latest NAD's have changed design, now have more space age look than pressed metal case design.

Yeah, but that 'up on end' thing makes them even worse, imo

Should they use thick wood instead?

You've obviously missed my point, even though I made it clear.

No, no, no, noone have missed the 'up on end',

makes them look futuristic.

JamesMellor

Jul 19, 2013
Visit site
I have a 390 which looks alot better irl than it does in the photos , Freddy I think you are missing a trick if you like folk or classic rock , vocals and acoustic gituar , but its not for metal thrashing mad , I listen to my music , you listen to yours and we both want is best for our music

James

Freddy58

Jan 24, 2014
Visit site
NHL said:
Freddy58 said:
NHL said:
Freddy58 said:
NHL said:
Freddy58 said:
JamesMellor said:
Vladimir said:
Cypher said:
I love simplistic designs but why does all British equipment look so cheap/ugly ?

<LOL> I've owned 2 intregated ,2 pre and 4 power amps over the last 25 years ,all NAD , you wanna talk about ugly ? <LOL>

Yep, them (Nad) is ugly. Being somewhat shallow, I've always ruled them out.

The latest NAD's have changed design, now have more space age look than pressed metal case design.

Yeah, but that 'up on end' thing makes them even worse, imo

Should they use thick wood instead?

You've obviously missed my point, even though I made it clear.

No, no, no, noone have missed the 'up on end',

makes them look futuristic.

It may well sound brilliant, but is it really practical? I mean, an amp stood on end, in a rack? I'm probably stupid...

Freddy58

Jan 24, 2014
Visit site
JamesMellor said:
I have a 390 which looks alot better irl than it does in the photos , Freddy I think you are missing a trick if you like folk or classic rock , vocals and acoustic gituar , but its not for metal thrashing mad , I listen to my music , you listen to yours and we both want is best for our music

James

I was referring to the 3020 and 7050 ;)

JamesMellor

Jul 19, 2013
Visit site
they can be left "flat' on a rack , never heard the 7050 , heard the 3020 with some totally unmatched KEFs in too small a room for the KEFs , no idea why he had them in there , but you could hit me with a stick before I'd critise the KEFs or the NAD on vocals or midrange , bass that went out the window , boom boom boom

James

Freddy58

Jan 24, 2014
Visit site
JamesMellor said:
they can be left "flat' on a rack , never heard the 7050 , heard the 3020 with some totally unmatched KEFs in too small a room for the KEFs , no idea why he had them in there , but you could hit me with a stick before I'd critise the KEFs or the NAD on vocals or midrange , bass that went out the window , boom boom boom

James

Yeah, but it wouldn't be symmetrical. I have a thing about symmetry ;)

Freddy58

Jan 24, 2014
Visit site
Anyway, back on thread. The Rega does look the part, and at it's price point is one that I would certainly consider, but it doesn't have tone controls! Sorry to upset the purists here ;)

Vladimir

Dec 26, 2013
Visit site
The old Rega Elex

$_35.JPG

Vladimir

Dec 26, 2013
Visit site
The company has gone forward a lot in the past 25 years. The fact people expect perfection from an audiophile budget gear maker tells a lot how good their reputation is.

Old Elex logo lit in pink. Cue Henry Mancini music!

ArtPinkP.png

Vladimir

Dec 26, 2013
Visit site
matthewpiano said:
Must admit, when I first got the K2 CDS I wasn't keen on Roksan's unusual looks, but it really has grown on me.

I like the design of the new Rega.

The K2 series were originally designed for the light aluminium fascia and the black gun metal came as alternative just to fill in the catalogue. People look at the silver and veer of to the black thinking it will be less eccentric and mate with their other seperates. I did the same, I planned on buying the black one but when I came in the shop and saw the silver Kandy K2 I wanted it, it is pretty and fancy and the black felt boring and fugly. Yeah the glass shapped like a Steely Dan dildo is odd, but I don't mate it with other separates so I'm all good.

Same thing for the Rega Elex-R, it might look boring and uninteresting on the photos but it might make you horny in real life.

TRENDING THREADS