New Rega Elex-R amplifier.

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
Sospri said:
chebby said:
David@FrankHarvey said:
It'll be interesting to pitch this against the Nait 5Si...

It'll be fascinating up to the point where the Rega breaks and the Nait locks up because someone else in the shop is using a remote with RC5 code :)

Can't stop sticking your knife in can you chebby...............

I briefly had the 'lock-up' problem with a Nait 5i myself when we had a loan TV from a repairer. I ended up solving the problem myself by finding that the loan TV (a Samsung) had something called 'Anynet+' switched on in it's settings. Once disabled it stopped locking up the Nait.

http://www.whathifi.com/forum/hi-fi/naim-amp-freezing-or-locking-up-and-anynet-setting-on-tv-remote

Before I found this, Naim tech support were completely unhelpful and claimed to have never heard of this happening (despite the numerous reports of it on their own forum).

So if I have a criticism of Naim equipment, I am not going to be swayed by the blind faith of a fanboy who thinks that Naim s###s gold bars.

Sospri

Mar 23, 2011
Visit site
chebby said:
Sospri said:
chebby said:
David@FrankHarvey said:
It'll be interesting to pitch this against the Nait 5Si...

It'll be fascinating up to the point where the Rega breaks and the Nait locks up because someone else in the shop is using a remote with RC5 code :)

Can't stop sticking your knife in can you chebby...............

I briefly had the 'lock-up' problem with a Nait 5i myself when we had a loan TV from a repairer. I ended up solving the problem myself by finding that the loan TV (a Samsung) had something called 'Anynet+' switched on in it's settings. Once disabled it stopped locking up the Nait.

http://www.whathifi.com/forum/hi-fi/naim-amp-freezing-or-locking-up-and-anynet-setting-on-tv-remote

Before I found this, Naim tech support were completely unhelpful and claimed to have never heard of this happening (despite the numerous reports of it on their own forum).

So if I have a criticism of Naim equipment, I am not going to be swayed by the blind faith of a fanboy who thinks that Naim s###s gold bars.

That's a very offensive chebby, you sound very bitter.

And your opinion of the Rega, despite knowing nothing about it?

stevebrock

Nov 13, 2009
Visit site
Come on boys play nice!

I A/B demoed the Brio R & Nait 5si, I am sorry to upset anyone but IMO the Brio R was far more musical, the Naim was very wooly on the bass and after reading all the praise heaped on this was dissapointed - and for £900 I expected more......all IMO of course :):):):)

My money is on the Elex-R outperforming the Naut 5si

Vladimir

Dec 26, 2013
Visit site
@DM

A DAC inside an amplifier is the 70's receiver era revival in todays digital age. An integrated already has the preamp leeching on the power amp PSU and adding a tuner or DAC can't improve things surely. Not only it uses resources, but also the money that went in that DAC could have gone in better casing, PSU, components etc. You know at this price point manufacturers really split hairs in their expenditures since this is where they make their money.

I agree that they spent the DAC money elsewhere but I welcome it. I want mo' amp.
grin.gif

Therefore, from my perspective if I had a DAC already I would go after the better performing/sounding amplifier for my needs and taste. Even if I didn't have a DAC I would buy Audioquest Dragonfly and a basic integrated amp without addons.

In the end Rega should know their customers best and they probably did their research first.

Just my 2 centavos. ;)

jonathanRD

Jan 27, 2011
Visit site
matthewpiano said:
Rega would always be a strong contender for me alongside Exposure and Creek. These are three brands who make equipment which somehow brings the music to life and makes you forget about the equipment.

This is likely to be the basis of my demo list in a few months time.

stevebrock

Nov 13, 2009
Visit site
jonathanRD said:
matthewpiano said:
Rega would always be a strong contender for me alongside Exposure and Creek. These are three brands who make equipment which somehow brings the music to life and makes you forget about the equipment.

Those 3 would be the only amps on my list too!

jonathanRD

Jan 27, 2011
Visit site
stevebrock said:
jonathanRD said:
matthewpiano said:

If it was on looks - it would be Rega vs Exposure.

Is there is Creek 100A coming soon? - is that likely to be another step-up?

matthewpiano

jonathanRD said:
stevebrock said:
jonathanRD said:
matthewpiano said:

If it was on looks - it would be Rega vs Exposure.

Is there is Creek 100A coming soon? - is that likely to be another step-up?

I would imagine Creek will replace the Destiny 2 next, which would be more of an Elicit-R competitor price-wise. They'll have to come up with a blinder to better the Destiny 2 though as it is a wonderful amplifier.

jonathanRD

Jan 27, 2011
Visit site
matthewpiano said:
I would imagine Creek will replace the Destiny 2 next, which would be more of an Elicit-R competitor price-wise. They'll have to come up with a blinder to better the Destiny 2 though as it is a wonderful amplifier.

Ah right - not sure I'd get away with spending that much - somebody else in my house wants a holiday :?

NHL

Nov 12, 2009
Visit site
Freddy58 said:
JamesMellor said:
Vladimir said:
Cypher said:
I love simplistic designs but why does all British equipment look so cheap/ugly ?

<LOL> I've owned 2 intregated ,2 pre and 4 power amps over the last 25 years ,all NAD , you wanna talk about ugly ? <LOL>

Yep, them (Nad) is ugly. Being somewhat shallow, I've always ruled them out.

The latest NAD's have changed design, now have more space age look than pressed metal case design.

Freddy58

Jan 24, 2014
Visit site
NHL said:
Freddy58 said:
JamesMellor said:
Vladimir said:
Cypher said:
I love simplistic designs but why does all British equipment look so cheap/ugly ?

<LOL> I've owned 2 intregated ,2 pre and 4 power amps over the last 25 years ,all NAD , you wanna talk about ugly ? <LOL>

The latest NAD's have changed design, now have more space age look than pressed metal case design.

Yeah, but that 'up on end' thing makes them even worse, imo

NHL

Nov 12, 2009
Visit site
Freddy58 said:
NHL said:
Freddy58 said:
JamesMellor said:
Vladimir said:
Cypher said:

Should they use thick wood instead?

Freddy58

Jan 24, 2014
Visit site
NHL said:
Freddy58 said:
NHL said:
Freddy58 said:
JamesMellor said:
Vladimir said:
Cypher said:

Should they use thick wood instead?

You've obviously missed my point, even though I made it clear.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts