New Pictures of my OLED with my new iPhone

Page 4 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

ellisdj

Dec 11, 2008
Visit site
I have never done an oled dude, you don't need to pay anything you can set your brightness and contrast with free patterns

You can download masciators free calibration disc and use the patterns on that.

I will post pictures for you when I can. I think you have the brightness too low and the contrast too high mate.

If so it will be a free upgrade for you

D

Deleted member 2457

ellisdj said:
I have never done an oled dude, you don't need to pay anything you can set your brightness and contrast with free patterns

You can download masciators free calibration disc and use the patterns on that.

I will post pictures for you when I can. I think you have the brightness too low and the contrast too high mate.

If so it will be a free upgrade for you
Sounds like a lot of hassle and I am pretty happy as it is.

ellisdj said:
Gel what picture settings are you using?

Have you set your brightness using a test pattern?

Have you checked the contrast using a test pattern because those images look really overexposed and totally crushing detail?  You can download free test patterns I think you can improve that image no end

Look at the lego picture the king sitting on the throne there is no detail at all there is all just one colour?  Thats not right

Or Zods face - there is hadow one side and no detail on the light side - that is not right either mate.

You should be able to get much better image from that set - based on those photos

Errr.... Isn't it obvious that the pictures will be overexposed?? They're night time photos. The fact that you can see the wall behind means the phone camera has taken those readings into account and overexposed the photos.

D

Deleted member 2457

It's not easy taking pictures on moving images either because I won't pause the remote in case of image retention.

ellisdj

Dec 11, 2008
Visit site
It's the same for all the photos though daytime as well

It's also very easy to check both.
If you brightness is too low you crush black if your contrast is too high you crush whites.

I doubt you would get image retention pausing for a few seconds either gel.

ellisdj

Dec 11, 2008
Visit site
Gel these are some pictures I took of our LG LED - I have not calibrated this, I have not even properlyu set the contrast or black level - only done it by eye. If the contrast is too high it crushes whites, so black it down to a level that looks natural, no visible crush but still with a lot of pop

These photos arre of what my Wife and Son had on a bit ago Oliver or something recorded off 5HD - it was playing when I took them - I tried to capture bits with a lot of white in them to show. These were taken on my Samung S6 Phone HDR OFF and flash off the rest auto and not touched after

20151025_185933_zpsrbtskqoi.jpg

20151025_185853_zpsnenzllbu.jpg

20151025_185847_zpsrwlp90kp.jpg
20151025_185857_zpsmqemsgf5.jpg

20151025_185845_zpsyswbqeud.jpg

20151025_185922_zpsszbcxwux.jpg

You would think this tv is excellent but its not, its not bad though for what it cost £500

nugget2014

Jan 1, 2014
Visit site
ellisdj said:
Gel these are some pictures I took of our LG LED - I have not calibrated this, I have not even properlyu set the contrast or black level - only done it by eye. If the contrast is too high it crushes whites, so black it down to a level that looks natural, no visible crush but still with a lot of pop

These photos arre of what my Wife and Son had on a bit ago Oliver or something recorded off 5HD - it was playing when I took them - I tried to capture bits with a lot of white in them to show. These were taken on my Samung S6 Phone HDR OFF and flash off the rest auto and not touched after

oliver and company! loved that when i was younger...which is only about 11 years ago..i'm a young one on this forum!

You would think this tv is excellent but its not, its not bad though for what it cost £500

nugget2014

Jan 1, 2014
Visit site
bigboss said:
All you're comparing is the camera abilities of 2 phones, not the actual TV picture quality. It's like comparing MP3 vs FLAC via telephone.

in theory then i should have the best tv according to my photos come late november when i get my z5 premium. worlds best cameraphone XD

strapped for cash

Aug 17, 2009
Visit site
I agree with EllisDJ.

In all the pics I've seen of Gel's TV the contrast appears seriously pumped up, causing heavy white clipping beyond any likely results of camera overexposure.

All TVs have an optimal contrast setting that, as EllisDJ says, can be measured very easily using the THX Optimiser or a downloadable pattern. You don't need a pro-cal to set this.

Once you push the constrast setting past this optimal point the image doesn't become any brighter, you're simply blowing out details in the brightest parts.

Spending two minutes maximum with the THX Optimiser or equivalent, while sticking with the THX picture mode, would make a world of difference.

Then again, it's Gel's TV, so he can of course set it up how he wants. I'd be interested to see some pics once he's run through basic THX or AVS test patterns, though, and to compare these with the shots he's posted online before.

ellisdj

Dec 11, 2008
Visit site
Thanks strapped iPhone cameras are generally excellent so I doubted it was that for all the photos gel has posted.

Only he knows if the photos he is posting are the same as how it looks on the screen. If it's the same the contrast looks way too high as does the brightness way too low. There is no detail where there should be it's just sold black. That's not an indication of good blacks like I think he thinks it's a sign of crushed blacks. Increasing the brightness will not change the black level of the tv it will improve the black level detail

He will likely find if he gets both the contrast and brightness right there will be much more detail the image won't need that much contrast to be both as bright and have as much pop and everything will look more 3d.

But it's up to him just trying to help.

strapped for cash

Aug 17, 2009
Visit site
ellisdj said:
Increasing the brightness will not change the black level of the tv it will improve the black level detail

Indeed, though I'm not sure if this is down to the current brightness setting on Gel's TV or a broader issue with WOLED technology and near black detail.

As you know, the default brightness setting on the last gen. Panasonic plasmas crushed blacks and the optimum setting was often +7 or +8. There's no reason to assume the out of the box settings are anywhere close to ideal, even on a THX certified or ISF preset.

The default brightness setting may be quite a bit off on Gel's TV, or perhaps he's dropped brightness because some black crush can look more dynamic. Again, as you point out, spending a few minutes with some basic test patterns would make this clear.

D

Deleted member 2457

Could someone show me pictures on a black screen what it's suppose to look like then? Because everyone I know struggles with taking them. If you can show me what you mean I can see if I like it or not. Even when I had the VT65 calibrated it didn't look to dissimilar.

D

Deleted member 2457

ellisdj said:

All your pictures are bright ones how about some black ones? Ta

strapped for cash

Aug 17, 2009
Visit site
gel said:

Gel, nobody's saying that EllisDJ's bedroom TV can match your LG's black level performance. Your OLED can produce absolute black and Ellis DJ's bedroom TV is an edge-lit model.

We're merely pointing out that the your current TV settings mean you're losing detail in the brightest and darkest parts of the image. (It's a bit like your TV is set to "dynamic" mode at the minute.)

D

Deleted member 2457

strapped for cash said:
gel said:

Gel, nobody's saying that EllisDJ's bedroom TV can match your LG's black level performance. Your OLED can produce absolute black and Ellis DJ's bedroom TV is an edge-lit model.

We're merely pointing out that the your current TV settings mean you're losing detail in the brightest and darkest parts of the image. (It's a bit like your TV is set to "dynamic" mode at the minute.)
I have never even had it in dynamic mode though. *smile*. I could post the THX settings if that would help? I would appreciate some pictures to go by too. Cheers.

D

Deleted member 2457

This THX optimiser and screen pattern I haven't a clue what they are and where to find them? Let alone use them. *smile*

strapped for cash

Aug 17, 2009
Visit site
gel said:
I have never even had it in dynamic mode though. *smile*. I could post the THX settings if that would help? I would appreciate some pictures to go by too. Cheers.

I know that you're using the THX preset, but if you set the contrast too high and brightness too low the picture will look too dynamic as a result.

If you own any THX certified DVDs or Blu-rays (Disney releases, for instance, or the Alien Quadrilogy) the THX Optimiser patterns are included among the special features, along with explanations of how to use them. Simply follow the instructions on-screen to set brightness and contrast correctly.

strapped for cash

Aug 17, 2009
Visit site
Or you could go with the basic recommended settings for the 980, according to the AVForums review:

Picture Mode: Expert 1

OLED Light: 50

Contrast: 70

Brightness: 50

H Sharpness: 0

V Sharpness: 0

Colour: 50

Tint: 0

Aspect Ratio: Just Scan

The expert settings are as follows:

Dynamic Contrast: Off

Super Resolution: Off

Colour Gamut: BT709

Edge Enhancer: Off

xvYCC: Auto

Colour Filter: Off

Expert Pattern: Off

Gamma 2.2

Leave the white balance and colour management settings alone, as you can't set these up without professional calibration.

strapped for cash said:
gel said:
All your pictures are bright ones how about some black ones?  Ta

Gel, nobody's saying that EllisDJ's bedroom TV can match your LG's black level performance. Your OLED can produce absolute black and Ellis DJ's bedroom TV is an edge-lit model.?

?

I think gel's point is that phone cameras struggle when it comes to blacks.

I still maintain that this discussion is pointless as the pictures are from a camera phone. You just cannot comment on TV calibration on that basis. There are too many variables at play here.

D

Deleted member 2457

strapped for cash said:
Or you could go with the basic recommended settings for the 980, according to the AVForums review:

Gamma 2.2

Leave the white balance and colour management settings alone, as you can't set these up without professional calibration.
Nice one, okay I will give these a shot and post some pictures. Cheers.

D

Deleted member 2457

bigboss said:
strapped for cash said:
gel said:

I think gel's point is that phone cameras struggle when it comes to blacks.

I still maintain that this discussion is pointless as the pictures are from a camera phone. You just cannot comment on TV calibration on that basis. There are too many variables at play here.
Yep, I just do the best I can to show how strong they are. I have never seen anybody else do it.

D

Deleted member 2457

gel said:
strapped for cash said:

Gamma 2.2

Nice one, okay I will give these a shot and post some pictures. Cheers.
I've done it! Initial impressions are very good.

ellisdj

Dec 11, 2008
Visit site
I will get you the info and explanation when I get a chance but if you look back through every picture in have ever posted there is no crush in the light dark parts of any of them

That's using various cameras in light an dark rooms

This is LG led is rubbish for blacks and has floating blacks as a result of its dimming system. It's very bright and the contrast is set high enough for anyone I would say and there is still no crush or blowing out info.

I was wondering if it's other things causing on gels set such as the gamma curve but I think you have the contrast high because the brightness is so low.

For all the pictures you have posted the ones of your VT 50 or 65 can't recall have been the most impressive to me. That's why I think there is big room for improvement for you.

It's not criticism it's help

TRENDING THREADS