New Pictures of my OLED with my new iPhone

Page 6 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

strapped for cash

Aug 17, 2009
Visit site
ellisdj said:
Gel these are the areas we are talking about which dont look right

His face is a white mess on my screen and the lamp is also - there should be detail in all of that, I have never seen anyones face look like that with a lamp on them - in fact I have just come back from the park and even on a bright an sunny day like today nothing looks like that. If it doesnt look like that on your screen and its just the phone cam then fine, but if it looks like that on the screen then you can get a lot better pic I am sure.

Which is what I find so strange and why I'm starting to wonder if it's the source -- either the BDP, as you suggest (though something odd must be happening to produce that kind of effect), or the film (I haven't seen Black Hawk Down for years and the blooming may be part of that scene's aesthetic).

D

Deleted member 2457

Okay settings for the Samsung Blu-Ray player are:

4K output - auto

3d settings

tv aspect ratio 16:9 Full

bd wise off

resolution auto

movie frames (24fs) auto

dvd 24fps conversion off

smart hub screen size size 3

HDMI colour format auto

hDMI deep colour off

progressive mode auto.

what do you think? Cheers!

D

Deleted member 2457

strapped for cash said:
gel said:
Do I need to save the Expert 1 settings somehow, or will they always be there?

Not sure. If you have the option to save them, it seems a good idea to do so.
Its okay mate just turned it off and on again and it was saved. Phew.

ellisdj

Dec 11, 2008
Visit site
gel said:

4K output - auto

3d settings

bd wise off

resolution auto

movie frames (24fs) auto

dvd 24fps conversion off

HDMI colour format auto - TRY CHANGING THIS TO YCC 4.2.2

hDMI deep colour off

progressive mode auto.

strapped for cash

Aug 17, 2009
Visit site
gel said:

4K output - auto

3d settings

bd wise off

resolution auto

movie frames (24fs) auto

dvd 24fps conversion off

HDMI colour format auto

hDMI deep colour off

progressive mode auto.

That all sounds right.

You could switch "4K output" and "Resolution" to off, but the current settings shouldn't be causing problems.

What options do you have on the "HDMI Colour Format" setting? And what model number is your BDP?

D

Deleted member 2457

There was only YCbCr(4:4:4) - should I change to this? Cheers!

ellisdj said:

His face is a white mess on my screen and the lamp is also - there should be detail in all of that, I have never seen anyones face look like that with a lamp on them - in fact I have just come back from the park and even on a bright an sunny day like today nothing looks like that.  If it doesnt look like that on your screen and its just the phone cam then fine, but if it looks like that on the screen then you can get a lot better pic I am sure

Gel, can you answer a simple question? Rather than concentrating on taking the picture, does the actual picture on the TV look like that to your eyes? Is the face really a white mess?

D

Deleted member 2457

strapped for cash said:
gel said:

4K output - auto

3d settings

bd wise off

resolution auto

movie frames (24fs) auto

dvd 24fps conversion off

HDMI colour format auto

hDMI deep colour off

progressive mode auto.

That all sounds right.

You could switch "4K output" and "Resolution" to off, but the current settings shouldn't be causing problems.

What options do you have on the "HDMI Colour Format" setting? And what model number is your BDP?
can't change resolution to off just auto, 1080p, 1080i, 720p, 576p/480p?

HDMI Colour format auto, ycbcr(4:4:4), RGB standard, RGB enhanced.?

Samsung BDP 7500 (I think) can't find the manual.

strapped for cash

Aug 17, 2009
Visit site
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JKD_pwBJajY

Here's the same scene on YouTube, hardly the best quality, but even on low resolution settings and viewed on a laptop display, you can see much more detail.

Picking up on BB's question, when you're watching this scene on your LG and Samsung BDP, can you see the same details in the lamp and on the character's face that you can see on the YouTube video?

D

Deleted member 2457

bigboss said:
ellisdj said:

His face is a white mess on my screen and the lamp is also - there should be detail in all of that, I have never seen anyones face look like that with a lamp on them - in fact I have just come back from the park and even on a bright an sunny day like today nothing looks like that. If it doesnt look like that on your screen and its just the phone cam then fine, but if it looks like that on the screen then you can get a lot better pic I am sure

Gel, can you answer a simple question? Rather than concentrating on taking the picture, does the actual picture on the TV look like that to your eyes? Is the face really a white mess?
No white mess to my eyes, all perfect! Cheers.

D

Deleted member 2457

strapped for cash said:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JKD_pwBJajY

Here's the same scene on YouTube, hardly the best quality, but even on low resolution settings and viewed on a laptop display, you can see much more detail.

Picking up on BB's question, when you're watching this scene on your LG and Samsung BDP, can you see the same details in the lamp and on the character's face that you can see on the YouTube video?
Yep, but mine looks like 10 times better. No white mess.

strapped for cash

Aug 17, 2009
Visit site
gel said:
can't change resolution to off just auto, 1080p, 1080i, 720p, 576p/480p?

Stick with 1080p, as this matches your TV's resolution.

gel said:
HDMI Colour format auto, ycbcr(4:4:4), RGB standard, RGB enhanced.?

The 4:4:4 setting shouldn't have a dramatic influence on the picture. In fact, I doubt you'd notice any difference at all. For reasons I won't bore you with, my Cambridge Audio BDP is set to 4:4:4, and this doesn't harm the picture in any way.

gel said:
Samsung BDP 7500 (I think) can't find the manual.

I think the auto settings are right for this player anyway. I'm guessing it's this one:

https://www.avforums.com/review/samsung-bd-j7500-blu-ray-player-review.11473

strapped for cash

Aug 17, 2009
Visit site
gel said:

Fair enough, it's just strange that the CBBC pictures you posted look excellent and the shots of Black Hawk Down look really bad.

Maybe it's best to leave it there. If I'm ever in MK I'll happily pop in to check everything out, that's if I'd ever be invited! *smile*

ellisdj

Dec 11, 2008
Visit site
This is my PC Monitor - its an LED Samsung thats naff to be honest. I calibrated it using i1 software but I am not 100% the meter was 100% accurate due to age but it wouldnt be far off I dont think

20151026_172212_zpsaeyuqd3h.jpg

Thats the you tube video - the quality is not great but look at the difference in terms of what you can see if my picture compared to yours Gel

D

Deleted member 2457

strapped for cash said:
gel said:

Fair enough, it's just strange that the CBBC pictures you posted look excellent and the shots of Black Hawk Down look really bad.

Maybe it's best to leave it there. If I'm ever in MK I'll happily pop in to check everything out, that's if I'd ever be invited! *smile*
Of course buddy, you are welcome anytime. *smile*

D

Deleted member 2457

So do I need to change my iPhone 5c settings then? *biggrin*

gel said:
So do I need to change my iPhone 5c settings then? *biggrin*

You need to say how different the actual picture is from the phone pics. As I've been saying all along, the actual picture will be much better than the phone pics. All you've proved so far is Samsung's camera is superior to iPhone 5c's.

D

Deleted member 2457

bigboss said:
gel said:
So do I need to change my iPhone 5c settings then? *biggrin*

You need to say how different the actual picture is from the phone pics. As I've been saying all along, the actual picture will be much better than the phone pics. All you've proved so far is Samsung's camera is superior to iPhone 5c's.
They are miles apart I don't think I will bother with any more pictures.

D

Deleted member 2457

Series1boy said:
Your BD player should be set to RGB and not rgb enhanced or YCbCr . This is what Vincent teoh set my Denon BD player to when he calibrated my VT.
Done it, cheers!

strapped for cash

Aug 17, 2009
Visit site
bigboss said:
All you've proved so far is Samsung's camera is superior to iPhone 5c's.

Or that the iPhone 5c takes wonderful pictures of Sky content displayed on an LG 980V, but awful pictures once a BDP and/or Black Hawk Down BD are thrown into the mix.

Whites on all pictures of BD content Gel has uploaded look seriously blown out. This isn't true of his pictures of the same TV displaying satellite content.

As EllisDJ says, TV content shouldn't look better and more balanced/nuanced than BD content.

Maybe it's the curtains. I don't know. I think everyone (most of all Gel) has had enough now! *smile*

strapped for cash

Aug 17, 2009
Visit site
bigboss said:
It appears to me that Sky pictures were clicked during the day and blu ray pictures at night. Makes a significant difference. Phones are generally poor at night time pics due to small sensor size. Gel can confirm this.

Well, the pictures of Black Hawk Down on p. 1 were taken in daylight, while the pictures of the same content taken today were during the early afternoon with the curtains closed.

The whites look equally blown out on both sets of pictures.

Only the satellite broadcast pictures look correct. Check out the fine detail in faces, hair and set design on both CBBC pictures Gel took earlier today. The difference when compared with the BD sourced pictures is substantial.

TRENDING THREADS