New Pictures of my OLED with my new iPhone

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

Oldboy

Sep 13, 2007
Visit site
I've taken action everyone.

Phoned LG who said it wasn't normal and would require a repair until I told them it was just over two weeks old so have contacted John Lewis via the store it was purchased at and they were very understanding when I told them of the situation and how much I didn't want to contact them yet again with an issue.

They need to first verify the fault so in the first instance an engineer will come out to look at it then I can either get it repaired or exchange it, in which case I will just aim for a straight swap for another as I'm not interested in a repair for such a new TV and the delays associated with that route. Monday the TV is booked in for so will update you further then but many thanks for all your advice once again.

Am I getting everyone else's bad luck do you think...I'm starting to feel picked on now *dash1*

nugget2014

Jan 1, 2014
Visit site
gel said:
Oldboy said:
Looks good to me gel.

Will dig out black hawk down tonight and add a few photos of mine for comparison if you like? I'm definitely thinking calibration will be of great benefit to my OLED gel as I'm not entirely happy with the picture even after a good delve into the settings.

I'm still unhappy with the magenta tinge to the sides but apart from that I'm very happy so far *smile*
Whats the magenta tinge to the sides?

i might play my copy for the first time and see how much difference there is between that and my sony 46w905 :p

D

Deleted member 2457

I am now using my TV in THX mode instead of normal mode and I thought I would post some more pictures so you could compare them and see what you think:

21566794903_587af9456e.jpg

22198113081_b8db6e0796.jpg

21565024824_0d751e7ae2.jpg

Oldboy

Sep 13, 2007
Visit site
Are those shots taken during day or night viewing gel?

That has just reminded me that I promised some photos of my OLED in action didn't I...it completely escaped me but I will upload some I promise.

Your shots look good to me though and the THX mode does seem a bit better than those you uploaded earlier *good*

D

Deleted member 2457

Oldboy said:
Are those shots taken during day or night viewing gel?

That has just reminded me that I promised some photos of my OLED in action didn't I...it completely escaped me but I will upload some I promise.

Your shots look good to me though and the THX mode does seem a bit better than those you uploaded earlier *good*
Hi mate, these are during the day. Yes please to some pictures. Yep, THX mode is much better, I don't know why I have been using normal mode now! Doh. *biggrin*

D

Deleted member 2457

On a OLED black levels seem great day or night but on a plasma night time is when they truly shone.

D

Deleted member 2457

Oldboy said:
Agreed. My plasma was always better at night and it's really nice to be able to enjoy no loss of black quality during the day :)
Yep, just watching mine now. Cool.

D

Deleted member 2457

No screen reflection either like a Panasonic plasma.

ellisdj

Dec 11, 2008
Visit site
A good plasma has got a lovely image, I dont know if its because I spent so many years looking at them, when I look at my LG LED - its not calibrated - its very impressive with cartoons and you get a lot of pop with this type of content which is mostly what we watch on it.

But when I watch other more serious content like I am at the minute waiting for the PJ Screen from about 15 feet the image is ok as you would expect, but I just cant take it serious, it doesnt hold my attention and doesnt hold my attention like my plasma used to.

This is a rubbish analogy but the Plasma was just nice to / luxurious to watch, it pulls you in to what your watching and holds your attention and makes you want to watch more. A big part of that is a full cinema system for sound, TV sound is ok but its not really

D

Deleted member 2457

Son_of_SJ said:
Surely most plasmas, not only Panasonic. I should know. And I don't particularly mind, because I watch all four of my plasmas in subdued daylight, not with the curtains open.
True. I think Pioneer's black levels are more radiant at night time though with the green panel.

Series1boy

Oct 14, 2013
Visit site
I have 2 plasma screens and both Panasonic. The calibrated VT is ok in the day on isf day, but it's not great when the sun shines through, but at night time it's wanderful. The 46pz I have in our bedroom is only viewed at night and only Sky HD is played through it, but it's still a good tv albeit non calibrated.

looking forward to the new OLED TVs in 2016 for an improvement in black levels. I hope the new lgs have improved in screen uniformity, because this is what I will go for because they will be more affordable than the panny OLED. I can then move the VT into our bedroom and when I'm banished upstairs to watch the footy on a sublime calibrated set.

nugget2014

Jan 1, 2014
Visit site
watched this film other day and i only recall 1 scene of the captured man and that was daytime. in that scene you took photo of it looks like its night time? so either i missed that scene or it magically turned the background pitch black..i need to demo an oled in person it got me curious!

D

Deleted member 2457

nugget2014 said:
watched this film other day and i only recall 1 scene of the captured man and that was daytime. in that scene you took photo of it looks like its night time? so either i missed that scene or it magically turned the background pitch black..i need to demo an oled in person it got me curious!
No, they were all took during the day. I will try and do some night time ones too for you.

ellisdj

Dec 11, 2008
Visit site
Gel what picture settings are you using?

Have you set your brightness using a test pattern?

Have you checked the contrast using a test pattern because those images look really overexposed and totally crushing detail? You can download free test patterns I think you can improve that image no end

Look at the lego picture the king sitting on the throne there is no detail at all there is all just one colour? Thats not right

Or Zods face - there is hadow one side and no detail on the light side - that is not right either mate.

You should be able to get much better image from that set - based on those photos

D

Deleted member 2457

ellisdj said:
Gel what picture settings are you using?

Have you set your brightness using a test pattern?

Have you checked the contrast using a test pattern because those images look really overexposed and totally crushing detail? You can download free test patterns I think you can improve that image no end

Look at the lego picture the king sitting on the throne there is no detail at all there is all just one colour? Thats not right

Or Zods face - there is hadow one side and no detail on the light side - that is not right either mate.

You should be able to get much better image from that set - based on those photos
I am just using THX mode I can't be bothered with calibration because the same Blu-Ray looked very similar then. How much are you charging for calibration these days?

TRENDING THREADS