New Amp help! - Hegel h160 vs Rega Elicit-r vs ??

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

Tronborg

May 25, 2016
Visit site
Giving a quick update for anyone interested.

I went with the Hegel h160. The sound stage, and warmth is something I really liked, and I don't think you can do better than the build in DAC at the price point.

I've decided to pair it with two pm1s when I find used or demo models (unlikely) for a fair price. Then add the pv1d sub, and hopefully have an awesome system!

Thanks for everyone for your suggestions, although it made my choice that much harder, haha. The roksan and rega are very fine amps too.

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
Tronborg said:

I went with the Hegel h160. The sound stage, and warmth is something I really liked, and I don't think you can do better than the build in DAC at the price point. 

I've decided to pair it with two pm1s when I find used or demo models (unlikely) for a fair price. Then add the pv1d sub, and hopefully have an awesome system! 

Thanks for everyone for your suggestions, although it made my choice that much harder, haha. The roksan and rega are very fine amps too. 
That is a very fine system you are putting together. Enjoy.

Andrewjvt

Jun 18, 2014
Visit site
Tronborg said:

John atkinson from stereophile agrees regards the dac quality in the h160 from the lab test report for you here:

Despite its USB input operating in the isochronous adaptive mode, the H160 offered excellent rejection of wordclock jitter via USB, and the S/PDIF inputs were equally good. With 16-bit J-Test data (not shown), all the odd-order harmonics of the LSB-level, low-frequency squarewave were at or close to their correct levels, and no other sidebands were evident around the high-level tone at one-quarter the sample rate. With 24-bit J-Test data (fig.14), no sidebands are visible, and the noise floor is clean and free from spuriae.

Hegel’s H160 integrated amplifier is a well-engineered powerhouse, though owners should make sure it is well ventilated if they want to play music at sustained high levels. Its digital/analog circuitry is workmanlike rather than the state of the art, but a standalone digital processor offering better performance than this is going to cost as least as much as the Hegel’s $3500.

—John Atkinson

Tronborg said:

Hi Tronborg

The H160 is an excellent choice.

Btw, also try and have a listen to a JL Audio sub as they form great match with Hegel amplification and B&W loudspeakers.

All the best

Rick @ Musicraft

Andrewjvt

Jun 18, 2014
Visit site
MUSICRAFT said:
Tronborg said:

Hi Tronborg

The H160 is an excellent choice.

Btw, also try and have a listen to a JL Audio sub as they form great match with Hegel amplification and B&W loudspeakers.

All the best

Rick @ Musicraft

The guy has not even warmed up his amp yet and your already trying to sell him sub woofers.

Andrewjvt

Jun 18, 2014
Visit site
MUSICRAFT said:
We'll add these two to your list. You must be glad that you talked yourself out of subwoofers. Must feel good chasing the rainbow  *biggrin*

If chasing the rainbow saves me over £5000 on jl subs and crossovers then its job done.

If i were you id change my hegel sales pitch from your normal grippy controlled bass to it actually needs a sub. Oh yes and dont forget your silly smiley after every sentence.

Ps why do you use a profile picture that is about 40 years out of date?

theelitigator

Jun 14, 2016
Visit site
The second to last post by Andrewjvt is nothing to do with hifi so why you need to be personal about a persons avatar picture we could quite easily say why you taken a picture with a rat.....

look stick to the op post and if you have anything sensible and articulate to say otherwise dont say anything.....

Andrewjvt

Jun 18, 2014
Visit site
theelitigator said:
The second to last post by Andrewjvt is nothing to do with hifi so why you need to be personal about a persons avatar picture we could quite easily say why you taken a picture with a rat.....

look stick to the op post and if you have anything sensible and articulate to say otherwise dont say anything.....

Welcome to the forum and continue selling subs and if you need to prove a point best not to be a hypocrite in your first one

theelitigator

Jun 14, 2016
Visit site
hahaha hypocrite funny... you are very personal why you so angry what is up with you... have you got mental health problems... this is not the place for setting up personal vindictive agendas... as stated before stick to the original post if you dont have anything to advise the OP then be quiet as your mouse ooops rat

Andrewjvt

Jun 18, 2014
Visit site
theelitigator said:
hahaha hypocrite funny... you are very personal why you so angry what is up with you... have you got mental health problems... this is not the place for setting up personal vindictive agendas... as stated before stick to the original post if you dont have anything to advise the OP then be quiet as your mouse ooops rat

Could bite your hand clean off to prevent you from making more false user names

BigH

Dec 29, 2012
Visit site
Andrewjvt said:
BigH said:
Andrewjvt said:
BigH said:
theelitigator said:

You don't live in Hastings do you?

Hes from derby

Oh really he sounded like someone from Hastings.

I dont know what that means being south african

Don't worry about it.

Andrewjvt said:
MUSICRAFT said:
We'll add these two to your list. You must be glad that you talked yourself out of subwoofers. Must feel good chasing the rainbow *biggrin*

If chasing the rainbow saves me over £5000 on jl subs and crossovers then its job done.

If i were you id change my hegel sales pitch from your normal grippy controlled bass to it actually needs a sub. Oh yes and dont forget your silly smiley after every sentence.

Ps why do you use a profile picture that is about 40 years out of date?

You stated your position on subwoofers before I gave my opinion on subwoofers (without mentioning any brand). Like I said nowadays there is a differing of views *biggrin* Don't worry though I am sure there will still be more rainbows for you to chase *biggrin*

Btw, the picture is of my dad which was taken when he fourteen in 1945. He passed away in March 2013. I love and miss my dad. You are fully aware of all of this.

theelitigator

Jun 14, 2016
Visit site
To Andrewjvt

Are you the most imprudent person on this forum trying to threaten me. Your rat won't even get near me so don't even try and bully me.

You are mistaken and quite injudicious, this is no fake profile....

To musicraft, there was no need for you to even clarify or address this jokers post, but considering he knows this detail shows that I was right in my presumption that he has a personal vendetta against you and has serious anger issues

Moderators need to look into these posts and take action against this kid. This isn't the place for these transgressions, this is a respectable forum and all need to be respectful and responsible and address the real point of the OP thread...

Andrewjvt

Jun 18, 2014
Visit site
theelitigator said:
To Andrewjvt

Are you the most imprudent person on this forum trying to threaten me. Your rat won't even get near me so don't even try and bully me.

You are mistaken and quite injudicious, this is no fake profile....

To musicraft, there was no need for you to even clarify or address this jokers post, but considering he knows this detail shows that I was right in my presumption that he has a personal vendetta against you and has serious anger issues

Moderators need to look into these posts and take action against this kid. This isn't the place for these transgressions, this is a respectable forum and all need to be respectful and responsible and address the real point of the OP thread...

So what you are trying to say is its ok for you to insult my dog?

Do 2 wrongs make a right? Or different rules for one and not the other?

People that insult dogs or animals normally have no goodness unside them.

If you are a real new forum member you sure are very knowledgeable regards all of this.

My issue is the constant sales pitch regards subwoofers for an amp known for its very good bass in every hegel post by dealers trying to cash in.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts