NEED ADVICE ON NEW TV

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hi, I am lookin at buying a new TV, It will mainly be for watching SD TV and Blu-ray. I can't decide between LCD,LED or Plasma

The models I am deciding between are the (Samsung UE46B8000) LED. (Philips 47pfl9664) LCD. (Samsung PS50B850) Plasma.

A

Anonymous

Hi, Al,

i would say theyre all fantastic sets but I would recommending looking at panasonics instead for you plasma ...Have you seen any demos of the tvs you have chosen ?

A

Anonymous

Yes, I have seen them in different shops. I just don't know what is better LED, LCD or Plasma for picture quailty. Picture quailty and the TV looks are the only important things for me in a TV as I have a denon 2310 amp with the B&W MT-30, so sound isn't an issue. I haven't been impressed with any off the panasonic Plasmas, I don't like the look off them or the picture quality , I thought the samsung Plasma was better in every way.

D

Deleted member 2457

I would go for the philips every day of the week, if you read all the reviews too it's still a cracking tv.

A

Anonymous

Thanks gel, Has anybody else got any opinions, Am going from a really good 36" CRT Tv, so I want a TV that is going to be good with SD and HD. I will probably get Sky Hd soon after I get the TV. I have a budget of £2000

A

Anonymous

its still too early to say whats what regarding this years tvs , but if you liked the samsung 50b850 plasma then the newer sammy plasmas that should be out soon are meant to have improved black levels , you will probably like one of them even more , id wait a few weeks , keep an eye on here for new reviews ..

robjcooper

Sep 29, 2008
Visit site
I think you'll find it quite hard to get hold of the Samsung 850 plasma now (it is on back order at a lot of places and is about to be superceded by the C8000). From a personal point of view, I don't like the picture quality on either the Philips or the Samsung LCDs - of the two, again IMHO, the Samsung is more realistic and watchable for an LCD (and before the angry hordes pile in, I saw both the Philips and Samsung models I was interested in, demoed at a proper dealer who knew how to line them up). I know you said you didn't like the Panasonics, (I found them a bit soft and lacking in 'punch' for want of a better word) but I would seriously suggest you wait until they release the 2010 V and VT ranges which, if they live up to all the hype, could be quite something, as well as being available within your budget. If you like the smooth and lifelike images of your well set up high quality CRT then again IMHO, a plasma will give you that same sort of look - I personally find the LCDs over processed and electronic. At work, we don't use any LCD screens in 'mission critical' (one for the 'words or phrases you hate' thread) areas, having a selection of Sony HD and SD CRT monitors - however, we do have a Kuro in one of our grading suites which has been lined up to almost match the Sony HD main monitor - our Telecine engineer, who has been lining up monitors for colour grading for many years could not believe how good the Kuro was.

If you're spending that kind of cash, find yourself a good dealer who knows how to line up a TV properly and watch as many as you can. In the end, it's your eyes that will have to sit watching it !

Good luck

Rob

TRENDING THREADS