Neat Motive SX2 views

Noddy

Mar 16, 2023
www.EnglishFungi.org
Has anyone views on the above? I have seen a demo pair at a very good discount.

I have PMC Twenty.21, bought at a good price, but I am looking at floorstanders mainly for aesthetic reasons. I hate stands. The room is modest, about 4m by 5m. The amp is an AudioLab 6000a, 50W into 8 ohm, a neutral sound. Previous speakers over twenty years are cheap Wharfedale (yuck), cheapish Monitor Bronze (yuck, heavy, muddy bass) and then the PMC. Hence I have limited experience of the beasts.

Gray

Haven't heard that one, but I see it uses a 'normal' tweeter as opposed to the AMT types in some of the Neat models.
I recently had a demo of the Petite Classic standmount - which @skinnypuppy71 recently bought and liked.

Coincidentally, he changed from PMC twenty21 and, like you, I also own them.

If you don't mind saying, how much was your good price for the 20.21 and when did you buy them?

Noddy

Mar 16, 2023
www.EnglishFungi.org
Haven't heard that one, but I see it uses a 'normal' tweeter as opposed to the AMT types in some of the Neat models
I recently had a demo of the Petite Classic standmount - which @skinnypuppy71 recently bought and liked.

Coincidentally, he changed from PMC twenty21 and, like you, I also own them.

If you don't mind saying, how much was your good price for the 20.21 and when did you buy them?

£1,000, at least six years ago. The shop had an end of line job lot to shift.

Reactions: Gray
The WHF review is here, but they’re now way over £2k new, like many brands that have shot up.

Its such a personal thing, but if you’re confident of the price then hopefully you could resell if not to your liking.

Last edited:
Reactions: plastic penguin

I have PMC Twenty.21, bought at a good price, but I am looking at floorstanders mainly for aesthetic reasons. I hate stands. The room is modest, about 4m by 5m. The amp is an AudioLab 6000a, 50W into 8 ohm, a neutral sound. Previous speakers over twenty years are cheap Wharfedale (yuck), cheapish Monitor Bronze (yuck, heavy, muddy bass) and then the PMC. Hence I have limited experience of the beasts.
Yes demoed these last year. They were very impressive, however that was just prior to the hefty price hike to over 2k.

How they compare to your PMCs, I couldn't say as I've never demoed these newer Twenty speakers. Heard the original Twenty 23 but it wasn't a scheduled demo, they were being warmed up for someone else to demo.

The reason for not buying was three-fold: too pricey, not keen on the laid back design and didn't quite have the ex-factor of the Dalis or the Amphion. That's purely based on my amplifier and my ears.

But if you can get them for a keen price, I would seriously consider.

Reactions: Noddy

Noddy

Mar 16, 2023
www.EnglishFungi.org
The WHF review is here, but they’re now way over £2k new, like many brands that have shot up.

Its such a personal thing, but if your confident of the price then hopefully you could resell if not to your liking.

Yes I saw that review. However, WHF reviews do not match my experience with products, some of which I bought on the strength of their reviews e.g. Arcam Solo Movie (awful) and Chord Mojo (awful and massively overpriced). Hence my original question.

Noddy

Mar 16, 2023
www.EnglishFungi.org
Yes demoed these last year. They were very impressive, however that was just prior to the hefty price hike to over 2k.

How they compare to your PMCs, I couldn't say as I've never demoed these newer Twenty speakers. Heard the original Twenty 23 but it wasn't a scheduled demo, they were being warmed up for someone else to demo.

The reason for not buying was three-fold: too pricey, not keen on the laid back design and didn't quite have the ex-factor of the Dalis or the Amphion. That's purely based on my amplifier and my ears.

But if you can get them for a keen price, I would seriously consider.

Thanks. Clearly I should listen to them. It’s a bit of a drive, but not too far.🙂

skinnypuppy71

Aug 10, 2021
Visit site

Hi Noddy, those pmc's are very capable little speakers and I wouldn't be in a rush to change them, They really do respond well to a Amp a couple of levels above what you have at the moment, Also a small subwoofer elevates them further, the little rel t-zero that I use is agile enough to keep up with the excellent speed of the pmc's, As for Amplifiers, Exposure 31010s2d was really good with them and I'd loved to have tried one of Naim's Supernait amps, A guy on Naim's forum used those little pmc's with a nac/nap 500 series amplification (circa 30k) and they lapped it up....if I ever see a pair at a good price, I'll buy them, as the level of detail is phenominal.

Noddy

Mar 16, 2023
www.EnglishFungi.org
Hi Noddy, those pmc's are very capable little speakers and I wouldn't be in a rush to change them, They really do respond well to a Amp a couple of levels above what you have at the moment, Also a small subwoofer elevates them further, the little rel t-zero that I use is agile enough to keep up with the excellent speed of the pmc's, As for Amplifiers, Exposure 31010s2d was really good with them and I'd loved to have tried one of Naim's Supernait amps, A guy on Naim's forum used those little pmc's with a nac/nap 500 series amplification (circa 30k) and they lapped it up....if I ever see a pair at a good price, I'll buy them, as the level of detail is phenominal.

If you read my original post you will see that the reason for changing is largely aesthetics. The PMCs work very well with my AudioLab 6000a amplifier providing plenty of detail. That is why I need to listen to a candidate replacement before making a decision.

As an aside there is a school of thought that we have solved the amplifier problem, and above a certain level paying more gets you higher power, fancier casework, and perhaps deliberate voicing. In blind tests done to date listeners cannot recognise amps. A few more posts, and we’ll be onto a cable argument …

I would’ve looked at amplification before speakers as well, but if you really need to change to floorstanders, be careful of getting something that’s out of the 6000a’s league, otherwise you’ll be changing again pretty soon. Floorstanders may be more efficient, but they usually require a bit more control for the extra bass they produce. An amplifier that’s working comfortably within its limits results in a better sounding system.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts