Standmount or Floor - your thoughts on speakers

Pedro2

Nov 29, 2010
Visit site
Having previously posted some time ago about a quest for new speakers, I am still at the stage of adding, then removing, items from my audition list. My indecision at present centres on whether to go back to stand mounts or stick with floorstanders.

The room is approx. 4m x 3.8m and quite heavily damped with furnishings + concrete floor + low ceiling + thick stone walls.

My audition list is as follows (all standmounts):

Elac BS403

Sonus Venere 2.5

KEF LS50

PMC Twenty 22

ATC SCM 11

(Also may try listening to some actives)

I presently have a pair of Neat Motive 2 SE and although they sound excellent at times, at others, I am aware of listening to speakers rather than the music. Strange way of explaining but it’s the best way I can think of. Maybe it’s more a case of wanting the soundstage to be further out into the room than it is at present. It’s this that makes me think that standmounts may help in this quest. My listening distance is approx. 2.5m.

Finally, anyone got any ideas about subwoofers that integrate well and add tuneful bass without being overblown? I do not have a home cinema set up and although the tv plays through the stereo system, my aim is always to maximise enjoyment of music. Max budget for sub would be about £1000.

Any thoughts appreciated, especially any experience of subs with standmounts that integrate well. Quite understand if the consensus is ‘leave the subs alone’.

ps some overlap here with 'Which floorstanders for small room' by Teo - apologies

Pedro, I infer that you could accomodate either type or you wouldn't be asking. Therefore, I would be influenced by the speakers you enjoy the most when you audition them, and not by which type or design they deploy.

As for sub woofers, they can work well, but in your shoes I'd spend the money on better main speakers, or music. I've never felt the need for a SW with my Sonus fabers, and I grew out of whiz-bang home cinema long ago!

bluedroog

Mar 4, 2010
Visit site
Personally I think money spent on subwoofers would be better spent directed towards better speakers but there is certainly no right or wrong, it just depends. In some cases stand mount and subwoofer(s) work very well indeed. Set up the sub wrong and it will be to the detriment of the overall sound, spend a little time and effort getting it right and you can be richly rewarded.

If you do go the subwoofer route it would be worth investigating going for two subs and also look at the devices such as the antimode which can have a profound positive impact and make life a lot easier. Have a look at the BK subs and in particular the XXLS400 which I have at home, very good with music and digs plenty deep for me.

letsavit2

Jul 25, 2013
Visit site
Don't be selling them neats until your totally happy with new, you might regret it!

Room acoustics, Have you thought about panels?

I run a BK sub with my neats, is suburb but only really for electronic music and that Ibiza club feel!

Pedro2

Nov 29, 2010
Visit site
I won't be rushing into any new purchase, letsavit2! I've been reading speaker reviews for nearly 6 months now and my better half has put a block on any new purchase until I fleabay the old bits of kit living under the bed!

Looking forward to a Hi Fi roadtrip in the Spring/Summer, though, as the speakers I'm interested in are with dealers spread around the country.

As for Ibiza club, I'm more Ibiza chill with single malt (+ log fire).

Interesting that you use a sub with the Neats. That must produce some thump!

relocated

Jan 20, 2012
Visit site
If you are going on a road trip and are considering actives and want to integrate a sub then you owe it to yourself to hear the AVI ADM 9RS and sub.

Conceived as a standmount and sub system so speakers and sub integrate perfectly although many people, depending on musical taste, do not need the sub. Just add a source, everything else is provided. ADM 9RS at £1250 and the sub is still £800 I believe.

Teo

Nov 13, 2013
Visit site
Still don't understand what's wrong with those neats of yours ,Pedro. They don't soundstage well ?

If you say that sometimes they sound brilliant and sometimes not , wouldn't be maybe the resolution of the system wich just shows less than good recordings ? :?

Pedro2

Nov 29, 2010
Visit site
Well, last weekend saw the start of my new speaker quest. It began with an audition of KEF LS50 in a Superfi branch in the Midlands. Here are some observations (about speakers and shop in question).

The LS50 sounded detailed and with an open sound stage. The salesperson then suggested a comparison with the KEF R300. Must say that these sounded just as detailed but even more open and with a 'fuller' sound. Both my wife and I preferred the sound of the R300 in the shop. Got to say, however, (that in the shop) both produced a little too much bass and this was more marked in the R300.

I had already explained that we were looking to go from a floor stander to stand mounts at home due to smallish room and acoustics (stone walls, low ceiling etc) so that any purchase would have to follow a home audition. The response, unfortunately was not too accomodating except for the offer of a 10% discount for one day only if we bought a pair there and then.

Although money is one consideration in a upgrade, I am far more concerned about a sound that I can live with than £100 off if purchased on the day. We thanked the man and made our exit.

Conclusions:

Both LS50 and KEF R300 will sound brilliant in a room without a bass emphasis (they are both rear ported).

We will audition the ATC SCM 11 next.

Definitely need to listen to any new purchase at home!

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts