Naim UnitiQute Question

Jason36

Jul 23, 2008
Visit site
If I sold my Caspian M1 Pre / Power combination and M1 CD Player would the Naim UnitiQute offer a strong alternative as a one box solutions which is fairly future proofed.

As far as I can see the Naim UnitiQute would be a strong contender for an all in on box solution with the addition of internet radio / DAB and Streaming capabilities.

I believe I would still be able to connect my Turntable via the phono sockets in the back and my iPod via either the Digital USB or digtal input at the back with say an Onkyo ND-S1 Dock. Would I also be correct in thinking the UnitiQute would also allow me to stream music wirelessly from my laptop using either iTunes or Spotify?

I'm realling trying to work out if an all in one box would be the logical way to go but whilst also allowing streaming capabilities. I dont need a CD player as all my music is on the Laptop / iPod in Lossless Format.

I'm not sure what other alternatives there are at a similar price range. I take it that whilst the Marantz MC-R603 is good......does it other the functionality of the UnitiQute i.e. onboard DAC etc. Has anyone tested the UnitiQute and MCR603 against each other?

If I went for the UnitiQute am I just paying extra for the Name??

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
Jason36 said:
I believe I would still be able to connect my Turntable via the phono sockets in the back

Yes, provided you have a phono preamp between the turntable and the UQ, or the turntable has a phono preamp built-in

Jason36 said:
and my iPod via either the Digital USB or digtal input at the back with say an Onkyo ND-S1 Dock

Yes: I'd just use the direct USB connection to the socket on the front panel – there's no advantage in using a digital dock into one of the digital ins, apart from cable-tidiness.

Jason36 said:
Would I also be correct in thinking the UnitiQute would also allow me to stream music wirelessly from my laptop using either iTunes or Spotify?

Yes, provided your computer has a digital audio output, or you use a piece of software such as Airfoil on the computer to 'hijack' the audio and stream it to the UQ over a network.

Jason36 said:
I'm not sure what other alternatives there are at a similar price range. I take it that whilst the Marantz MC-R603 is good......does it other the functionality of the UnitiQute i.e. onboard DAC etc. Has anyone tested the UnitiQute and MCR603 against each other

Having listened to both the Marantz and the similar Denon CEOL alongside the UQ, both at home and for a recent Stuff group test, I'd say that while they are both exceptional value for money, I'd go for the Naim on sound quality every time.

Jason36

Jul 23, 2008
Visit site
Thanks for that Andrew.

I had a listen to both the Marantz and UQ yesterday and whilst the Marantz is very very good, I think it would be too much of a sound comprise over my Caspian M1 Setup. The Naim is probably more on a par sound quality wise and I was very impressed with it and I am going to book a longer demo session to get to grips with the UQ.

I must say I also prefer the looks of the UQ over the Marantz, very plain and simple :)

oldric_naubhoff

Mar 11, 2011
Visit site
Jason36 said:
If I sold my Caspian M1 Pre / Power combination and M1 CD Player would the Naim UnitiQute offer a strong alternative as a one box solutions which is fairly future proofed.

As far as I can see the Naim UnitiQute would be a strong contender for an all in on box solution with the addition of internet radio / DAB and Streaming capabilities.

while it's true that Unity Qute offers a host of functionality I think it'll be a step down from your current system in terms of amplification stage performance. but I saw once a very tidy set up overcoming this issue. Unity Qute was connected straight into active Dynaudio Focus 110s, thus bypassing internal amplification of UQ. UQ was responsible for data processing and volume control and amplification duty was vested in amps in active speakers. you might consider a similar move if you decide for Unity Qute. not necessarily with Focus 110A.

Jason36 said:
I'm not sure what other alternatives there are at a similar price range.

if you decide to go active, there's also Musical Fidelity Clic, which offers similar funcionality.

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
oldric_naubhoff said:
if you decide to go active, there's also Musical Fidelity Clic, which offers similar funcionality.

Indeed: I didn't suggest it as I haven't yet heard it. It hope to get a review sample for Gramophone late next week

Jason36

Jul 23, 2008
Visit site
oldric_naubhoff said:
Jason36 said:

while it's true that Unity Qute offers a host of functionality I think it'll be a step down from your current system in terms of amplification stage performance. but I saw once a very tidy set up overcoming this issue. Unity Qute was connected straight into active Dynaudio Focus 110s, thus bypassing internal amplification of UQ. UQ was responsible for data processing and volume control and amplification duty was vested in amps in active speakers. you might consider a similar move if you decide for Unity Qute. not necessarily with Focus 110A.

Jason36 said:
I'm not sure what other alternatives there are at a similar price range.

Ha Excellent idea Oldric and one I hadnt actually thought about as a possibility. Initially I was going to keep the Castle Speakers with a view to the fact I would be upgrading them in due course.

The Active speaker route would be a very tempting one to look at with the UnitiQute. Thanks for that.

@Andrew - hmmm will have to keep my eyes open for that then.

oldric_naubhoff

Mar 11, 2011
Visit site
Andrew Everard said:
oldric_naubhoff said:

Indeed: I didn't suggest it as I haven't yet heard it. It hope to get a review sample for Gramophone late next week

great stuff. it would be nice to hear what you think about it. if I was thinking about system rebuild I would definitely consider this Clic too.

oldric_naubhoff

Mar 11, 2011
Visit site
Jason36 said:
Ha Excellent idea Oldric and one I hadnt actually thought about as a possibility. Initially I was going to keep the Castle Speakers with a view to the fact I would be upgrading them in due course.

The Active speaker route would be a very tempting one to look at with the UnitiQute. Thanks for that.

you're most welcome
smiley-smile.gif

TRENDING THREADS