Naim & stereo

letsavit2

Jul 25, 2013
Visit site
Been listing to my naim muso for a a day two now and have noticed something, the stereo (yes the box does stereo quite well from 3 feet away) is the wrong way round, or is it?

My main naim system for the last 8 years I have while looking at the 5i amp and speakers connected the left speaker to the left connection, same with the right...ie not crossing over the cables on the back. Same as every amp iv owned for 25years.

so now when listing to the muso the bass player and drummer are on the opposite side to lead guitarist, I know it doesn't matter but a little weird on tracks I know well....the bands have moved around on my stage...!

spiny norman

Jan 14, 2009
Visit site
Assuming your amp is between your speakers, you do need to cross over the cables: the left speaker output is to the right, when viewed from the front of the amp, and the right speaker output to its left.

letsavit2

Jul 25, 2013
Visit site
Just tested it on my marantz system in the kitchen, 2 whafdales mounted on the wall and really only used for back ground music so never noticed. yep same as the muso and you're right my naim amp sits the middle of my speakers so I need to cross the cables, unlike the marantz amp which also sits in the middle. Stupid naim design, my muso don't thump when I turn it on also, but kinda like that I'm ready to sing thump........!

i have been listening to stereo the wrong way round for 8 years....ha ha. I'll go hide now....

davedotco

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
matt49 said:
davedotco said:
Play an orchestra, should be obvious.......

Yes, I was going to say that. Violins on your left, cellos and double basses on your right.

The last orchestra I saw/heard had a piano to the left of 1st violins, at the start of the second act a large black cat emerged from underneath, crossed the stage in front or the orchestra, then disappeared into the audience.

So just listen carefully, the cat goes left to right, ok!

letsavit2

Jul 25, 2013
Visit site
Have no classical, orchestra in my collection, hence only noticed this when testing the muso to hear if it could do stereo with no speaker separation.

Covenanter

Jul 20, 2012
Visit site
matt49 said:
davedotco said:
Play an orchestra, should be obvious.......

Yes, I was going to say that. Violins on your left, cellos and double basses on your right.

Unless it's a Russian orchestra of course. Saw the St Petersburg Phil the other day, 1st violins on the left with basses behind them, cellos in the middle, 2nd violins and violas on the right. Brass, woodwind and percussion in their normal places.

Chris

letsavit2

Jul 25, 2013
Visit site
nopiano said:
letsavit2 said:
Have no classical, orchestra in my collection, hence only noticed this when testing the muso to hear if it could do stereo with no speaker separation.
Doesn't it have a radio function? Radio 3 would be a good choice as Classic FM is very compressed.

dont make me listen to classical, please, Iv swapped the cables over and trust you!

letsavit2 said:
nopiano said:
letsavit2 said:
Doesn't it have a radio function? Radio 3 would be a good choice as Classic FM is very compressed.

dont make me listen to classical, please, Iv swapped the cables over and trust you!
Ha! Each to their own, and glad you are sorted!

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts