NAD or Martantz replacement amp.

robg1976

Sep 17, 2007
Visit site
HI guys

Im replacing my Nad C352 amp (accident damage) my first choice was the new c355bee amp, but after reading some reviews it does not score as good as my C352, a what hi-fi 5 star amp of the year. Of course i know reviews are not the full story but i'm unable to listen before i buy, so im a little worried it would'nt perform as good as my C352. My other option was the marantz 7003 as im a marantz fan i once owned a cd63 and pm7001.

Im using monitor audio br5 speakers with a nad c542 cd player with russ andrews mains speaker and interconnects. (if this helps)

Any feedbck welcome.

Thanks Rob

And yes i know you dont buy on reviews alone, but i was very happy with my c352 amp buying it on what hi-fi reviews...........

d_a_n1979

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
Ignore the reviews re the NAD C355BEE; believe me, it's a damn good amp and IMO is just that bit better than the C352!

The Marantz amp is ok but it's a bit too smooth and laid back and wont gel as well with your CDP or the BR5's

A

Anonymous

d_a_n1979:Ignore the reviews re the NAD C355BEE; believe me, it's a damn good amp and IMO is just that bit better than the C352! The Marantz amp is ok but it's a bit too smooth and laid back and wont gel as well with your CDP or the BR5's

Dan tell me some more about the NAD C355BEE........It's review looks ok to me ....I like punch,,,,dynamics.......but I also love subtle and detail........

Do you intend to add a power amp in the future?.....I have Dali 2.8's on the way and considering some options!

d_a_n1979

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
brittondave:
d_a_n1979:Ignore the reviews re the NAD C355BEE; believe me, it's a damn good amp and IMO is just that bit better than the C352! The Marantz amp is ok but it's a bit too smooth and laid back and wont gel as well with your CDP or the BR5's

Dan tell me some more about the NAD C355BEE........It's review looks ok to me ....I like punch,,,,dynamics.......but I also love subtle and detail........

Do you intend to add a power amp in the future?.....I have Dali 2.8's on the way and considering some options!

Hi Dave. No, no power amp needed TBH. The NAD's got bags of power at 80wpc and it'll drive a majority of speakers with ease.

When I was demoing it I listened to the Dali Ikon 6's with it and they sounded superb and the NAD really gave them waht for so I'm sure it'll drive your 2.8's fine
emotion-1.gif

The amps got bags of punch; deep, taut bass but very tight and well timed as well. It's got a great detailed but smooth midrange and very good treble.

For me it's at home playing AC/DC live or a solid, punchy track like Massive Attack - Karmacoma

But it's just as good playing Sting - Live or Dean Martin/Nat King Cole

It's a deffo for demoing if youre after a new amp for your Dali's
emotion-5.gif

T

the record spot

If you're looking at up to £500 for the 7003, would you go up to about £800 for a Leema Pulse amp? Bit of an underrated star IMO and it's apparently excellent.

the record spot:If you're looking at up to £500 for the 7003, would you go up to about £800 for a Leema Pulse amp? Bit of an underrated star IMO and it's apparently excellent.

Agreed about the Leema Pulse: I love it, but I do think it deserves better speakers and source than the OP currently has....

For around about £350 you could have a s/hand Creek Evo or for £600 Creek Evo II - it'll outperform the Nad and will sound great with MA speakers.

d_a_n1979

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
plastic penguin:
the record spot:If you're looking at up to £500 for the 7003, would you go up to about £800 for a Leema Pulse amp? Bit of an underrated star IMO and it's apparently excellent.

For around about £350 you could have a s/hand Creek Evo or for £600 Creek Evo II - it'll outperform the Nad and will sound great with MA speakers.

How do you know PP?

d_a_n1979:plastic penguin:

How do you know PP?

Logic, dan. That Creek Evo II is better than the Kandy LIII, now I do not and will not accept that sub-£400 amp is better than a £650 powerhouse, doesn't matter how good the Nads are...if that is so then it would the most underpriced piece of equipment to go on general sale. Anyway, if we all had identical opinions and we all bought Nad amps, wouldn't this life be boring....
emotion-5.gif

matthewpiano

PP, the OP is looking to replace a NAD amp that he was very happy with. As such, NAD is the benchmark in this instance. Auditioning a NAD, but also trying other options, seems an eminently sensible way to go.

Price doesn't always guarantee better performance either. My NAD C326BEE leaves the Arcam A18 standing. I am not, however, suggesting that the NAD is unbeatable and there is every chance that the OP could prefer the Creek, Roksan or Arcam options. This is why I have made the simple recommendation to audition so that the OP can make up his own mind.

A

Anonymous

"now I do not and will not accept that sub-£400 amp is better than a £650 powerhouse, "

that really is very Naive................it's all about Synergy ...not marketing and ££££££££££

brittondave:

"now I do not and will not accept that sub-£400 amp is better than a £650 powerhouse, "

that really is very Naive................it's all about Synergy ...not marketing and ££££££££££

...and the brands I've mentioned produces great synergy with RS6, and my conclusions have been deduced over a long period of time, in which I have auditioned countless different makes - and not concluded by reading reviews, or done on a whim!

matthewpiano:PP, the OP is looking to replace a NAD amp that he was very happy with. As such, NAD is the benchmark in this instance. Auditioning a NAD, but also trying other options, seems an eminently sensible way to go. Price doesn't always guarantee better performance either. My NAD C326BEE leaves the Arcam A18 standing. I am not, however, suggesting that the NAD is unbeatable and there is every chance that the OP could prefer the Creek, Roksan or Arcam options. This is why I have made the simple recommendation to audition so that the OP can make up his own mind.

My next amp upgrade later in the year will not be Arcam. When I do decide, my Arcs will go on ebay before I audition in ernest. Hasn't the OPs Nad died? If so, it's as good time as any to look at other options without being influenced by an amp he's familiar with (that has been my problem).

No room for complacency...

d_a_n1979

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
That's the thing though.

Fully agree with PP and MP's comments and also Daves comments re system synergy etc...

The NAD C355BEE is the OBVIOUS choice as it's the replacement for the NAD C352 and as I said above the mentioned amps NEED to be demo'd!

I however dont agree with the comment re the NAD being underrated or under priced. That's just the market currently but as you'll read through peoples reviews (and if you demo it yourself) you'll see that the NAD competes with the likes of the Roksans, Arcam and Creeks and beats some of them at thair own game (and as MP said; it trounces the Arcam A18 which has gone too much like the Diva A70 IMO)!

It is really down to the OP to demo the amps mentioned or others that he may see on the marekt. If he wishes to buy blind then we all know thats a dangerous game but I still stand by my comments that the Arcam DiVa A85 or the NAD C355BEE amps would be best choice; more so to pair with the M/A RS6's which we ALL know like a good, smooth but powerful amp to drive them to their best!

d_a_n1979:That's the thing though. Fully agree with PP and MP's comments and also Daves comments re system synergy etc... The NAD C355BEE is the OBVIOUS choice as it's the replacement for the NAD C352 and as I said above the mentioned amps NEED to be demo'd! I however dont agree with the comment re the NAD being underrated or under priced. That's just the market currently but as you'll read through peoples reviews (and if you demo it yourself) you'll see that the NAD competes with the likes of the Roksans, Arcam and Creeks and beats some of them at thair own game (and as MP said; it trounces the Arcam A18 which has gone too much like the Diva A70 IMO)! It is really down to the OP to demo the amps mentioned or others that he may see on the marekt. If he wishes to buy blind then we all know thats a dangerous game but I still stand by my comments that the Arcam DiVa A85 or the NAD C355BEE amps would be best choice; more so to pair with the M/A RS6's which we ALL know like a good, smooth but powerful amp to drive them to their best!

That is one hellava claim about the Nad outperforming the Kandy and Creek. I'll make one promise: if I can scrounge a 355BEE over the next couple of weeks to test at home then I'll see what all the fuss is about - or not. You'll get a very honest appraisal from me - I won't comment out of spite. One thing most people on this forum know about me is my stark integrity. If I'm wrong I will eat a large dollop of humble pie - and I'll be on the phone very quickly to Nad and say their coverted 355 is under priced....
emotion-2.gif

I totally agree about the A18 and A70. Both were disappointing, and the A65's achilles heel, in my view, is the slightly loose bass. I remember MP, before Christmas, commenting...nae praising the A65's overall quality, only being let down by its dynamics. Which is not surprising, but unless you're a real classical buff, the A65 ticks all the right sonic boxes for the money.

A

Anonymous

plastic penguin:brittondave:

...and the brands I've mentioned produces great synergy with RS6, and my conclusions have been deduced over a long period of time, in which I have auditioned countless different makes - and not concluded by reading reviews, or done on a whim!

I think I came across as a bit rude.........and I am sorry for this..........I think there are a lot of people interested in hifi that think chucking money at their systems is the answer to their audio nirvana.....I don't think you are one of those people....

emotion-10.gif

any way I still stand by my synergy remarks...................I know it's a bold statment but my current setup with either the Roth's or the BR's absoulutly wipes the floor with some of the very high end ££££5000+ gear I heard at Manchester and Bristol. I think simplicity is sometimes key!

any way again sorry for any offence caused...

D

brittondave:plastic penguin:brittondave:

I think I came across as a bit rude.........and I am sorry for this..........I think there are a lot of people interested in hifi that think chucking money at their systems is the answer to their audio nirvana.....I don't think you are one of those people....

emotion-10.gif

any way I still stand by my synergy remarks...................I know it's a bold statment but my current setup with either the Roth's or the BR's absoulutly wipes the floor with some of the very high end ££££5000+ gear I heard at Manchester and Bristol. I think simplicity is sometimes key!

any way again sorry for any offence caused...

D

No problem, I don't get offended (whatever that means...LOL).

Oddly enough I've always praised Nads amps. When I heard the 352 it was very good for money, but like every piece of equipment, it has its limitations. We'll see over the coming weeks.

A

Anonymous

Brand appeal will significantly affect the price, it is more about brand value than real value.

Some of the price disparity will stem from NAD amps having very understated looks

I am not saying that it's as good as the other mentioned amps but we can't simply look at price and believe that equates to sound quality

Take for instance the Neo 3's, having heard quite a few more floorstanders now, I can appreciate that were it not for the mundane uninspiring looks it would retail for a lot more.

d_a_n1979

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
plastic penguin:
d_a_n1979:That's the thing though. Fully agree with PP and MP's comments and also Daves comments re system synergy etc... The NAD C355BEE is the OBVIOUS choice as it's the replacement for the NAD C352 and as I said above the mentioned amps NEED to be demo'd! I however dont agree with the comment re the NAD being underrated or under priced. That's just the market currently but as you'll read through peoples reviews (and if you demo it yourself) you'll see that the NAD competes with the likes of the Roksans, Arcam and Creeks and beats some of them at thair own game (and as MP said; it trounces the Arcam A18 which has gone too much like the Diva A70 IMO)! It is really down to the OP to demo the amps mentioned or others that he may see on the marekt. If he wishes to buy blind then we all know thats a dangerous game but I still stand by my comments that the Arcam DiVa A85 or the NAD C355BEE amps would be best choice; more so to pair with the M/A RS6's which we ALL know like a good, smooth but powerful amp to drive them to their best!

That is one hellava claim about the Nad outperforming the Kandy and Creek. I'll make one promise: if I can scrounge a 355BEE over the next couple of weeks to test at home then I'll see what all the fuss is about - or not. You'll get a very honest appraisal from me - I won't comment out of spite. One thing most people on this forum know about me is my stark integrity. If I'm wrong I will eat a large dollop of humble pie - and I'll be on the phone very quickly to Nad and say their coverted 355 is under priced....
emotion-2.gif

I totally agree about the A18 and A70. Both were disappointing, and the A65's achilles heel, in my view, is the slightly loose bass. I remember MP, before Christmas, commenting...nae praising the A65's overall quality, only being let down by its dynamics. Which is not surprising, but unless you're a real classical buff, the A65 ticks all the right sonic boxes for the money.

Hi PP

Apologies if I was abrupt; completely the opposite, ya know me
emotion-5.gif

Just it seems people write NAD's off due to their price and probably looks as well as mentioned above. I think you and mostly everyone else know's they're superb amps and they're a bit likt eh M/A RS6's. They get written off far too easily when really they're damn fine products; just they dont suit some people and then they go all hell bent on damming them!

As you'll appreciate I did hell of A LOT of demoing before I settled on my system taking seperates right up to the £1k mark per item and down again but time after time the NAD and M/A combo for me was unbeatable (for my tastes in music and for this precise timing of wanting a new system)...

I LOVE Arcam and always will do, bit like Acoustic Energy and B&W seperates as well.

Having demo'd the Roksan Kandy K2 and the NAD side by side with the same speakers; there was little in it apart from the NAD having punchier, tauter bass and also the K2 was a bit too bright at the top end!

In saying that though with different speakers I bet the K2 really stands its ground.

Ad for the Creek; having heard it at Superfi for all of 5mins as it was being demo'd to someone else with Epos and B&W speakers; I know straight away it wasnt the sound for me and then reading your reviews re the lack of inputs; that didnt help. Plus I dont like it's looks
emotion-4.gif

The NAD C355BEE is priced HIGHLY competitvely currently as I think Richer Sounds have bought ALL available stock in Silver; black cant be got anywhere currently (much to my dismay).

I don think the likes of RS bring products down in terms of calibre by pricing them so low but at the end of the day, if you can find an amp that does just as good, if not better than some c£1k amps out on the market currently; common sense says that you'll go for the cheaper option as you've more 'bang for your buck' but also more £££ to spend on CDP's, speakers, cables, music etc...

So yes; as above, I AM saying that FOR ME, the NAD out performs the Creek and Roksan amps currently but I know DAMN WELL that it doesnt out perform the Roksan Caspian amp which I weely WEELY liked but couldnt afford
emotion-8.gif
emotion-4.gif

Plus; the synergy between the NAD and M/A RX6's is superb and I think it's a combo you deffo need to hear for yourself. Plus the Rega Apollo or Saturn too
emotion-5.gif

A

Anonymous

dan , i have br5s , and am looking to get a cd player and stereo amp , would you expect the nad gear to pair equally as well with the br5s as the rs6s as some people have said ? thanks..

d_a_n1979

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
maxflinn:dan , i have br5s , and am looking to get a cd player and stereo amp , would you expect the nad gear to pair equally as well with the br5s as the rs6s as some people have said ? thanks..

Deffinitly

I heard the M/A BR5's with the NAD C326BEE and C545BEE CDP and they sounded superb.

However; I did also hear the M/A BR5's with the Audiolab 8000S integrated amp and Audiolab CD player and that combo souned very good indeed as well; both would need a good demo IMO

A

Anonymous

d_a_n1979:maxflinn:dan , i have br5s , and am looking to get a cd player and stereo amp , would you expect the nad gear to pair equally as well with the br5s as the rs6s as some people have said ? thanks..

Deffinitly

I heard the M/A BR5's with the NAD C326BEE and C545BEE CDP and they sounded superb.

However; I did also hear the M/A BR5's with the Audiolab 8000S integrated amp and Audiolab CD player and that combo souned very good indeed as well; both would need a good demo IMOcheers dan , thats just what i wanted to hear , demoing is a little tricky for me , so ill probably plump for the nads mentioned , several other people have said how much of a good pairing ma and nad is , including the helpful chap in munstersounds , that will do for me
emotion-1.gif
, thanks ..

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts