NAD C375BEE: matter of taste or faulty amp or ... ?

ErwinC

Nov 24, 2009
Visit site
During my search for a reasonably high power integrated amplifier i came across the NAD C375BEE 150 Watts amplifier. Planning to test it in my own setup next week i started reading some reviews and was totally surprised by the WHF review. I also read the Stereophile review by Sam Tellig and the HifiChoice review and both these are about 100% the opposite of the WHF review. According to me this can not be the result of different tastes if you look at the below extracts from both reviews.

WHF: "An average performance which doesn’t do quite enough to justify the price"

Stereophile: "From the get-go, I could hear that this NAD is a very special amplifier – up there in sound quality with the best solid-state." and "the C375BEE integrated amplifier, on the other hand, performs way, way out of its price class"

WHF: "There’s decent weight, depth and control to low-end frequencies, and overall insight is reasonable, but there’s a lack of punch and dynamics that leaves us far from engaged."
Stereophile: "The Harbeths had bass dynamics and extension I hadn't heard before, including with some amps far more expensive than the NAD"

HifiChoice: "classical music tends to have wider dynamics than most other styles and hence benefits most from high power output, and indeed we found ready use for the power in uncompressed symphony orchestra recordings. Bass drum and timpani rarely sound so vivid!"

WHF: "With all that muscle under the lid, this lack of drive is surprising – as is the fact that, when asked to really belt out a tune at loud volume, the amp has a tendency to harden up at the top end and sound cluttered with busier tracks."

HifiChoice: "The Bowers and Wilkins 803S is a fairly tricky load and needs a firm hand to keep the bass precise, but the 375Bee proves more than ready for the challenge. even when delivering peaks close to the 200 watts threshold there was no sense of strain, nor of the shift of focus that often occurs when amps start to run out of puff – loud bass making the midrange and treble wilt, and vice-versa."

So i was wondering if WHF perhaps received a faulty NAD C375BEE? Are there people who own(ed) this amplifier and have an opinion about it?

jaxwired

Feb 7, 2009
Visit site
I used to own the C165bee preamp; and C275bee amp from NAD. These are basically the two component version of the C375bee with almost identical specs. After living with this rig for many months, I agree with the stereophile and other reviews that have raved about the NAD amp. The C375 is in a different league than the other smaller NAD amps and does compete with many of the best integrated amps on the market. I found the amp to be very special.

I think that C375 suffers from some bias because it is from NAD and most people think of NAD as a budget amplifier. The C375 is not in the budget category in terms of price or performance. It's an outstanding amplifier and most reviews have been extemely positive. I highly recommend it.

One strike against the amp in the UK market is the price. For some odd reason it's not priced in the same competitive way that the lesser NAD amps are. Based on the USA price of the amp, the C375bee should really sell for around 800 pounds in the UK. However, I still think it's worth every penny of it's UK price.

ErwinC

Nov 24, 2009
Visit site
Today i went to my local dealer and compared the NAD C375BEE/C 565BEE, Arcam A28/CD17, Denon PMA-1510AE/DCD-1510AE and Yamaha A-S700/CD-S700 setups on a pair of Monitor Audio GS60 speakers.

To make a long story short, the NAD setup was IMO clearly the best setup. The biggest surpise was the Yamaha setup which i found to be at least as good as the Arcam setup. The Denon setup was a disappointment for me. The sound was less controlled and lacked speed and impact.

Because i was so surprised by the Yamaha setup i asked the dealer if he had a Yamaha A-S500 or A-S1000 amplifier in stock. To my surpise he had a brand new A-S500 available which i was allowed to take home for an audition. I must say that i am extremely surprised by this amp even after only two hours of listening. Build quality is high and although the A-S500 had never played before, the little Yamaha already produced a tight, musical sound. Compared to my current Trends Audio TA 10.1, the A-S500 lacks the ultimate transparancy, is less dynamic and the bass has less control/depth/power.

My next test will be to compare the NAD C375BEE and Yamaha A-S1000 in my own setup ...

A

Anonymous

Nad C375 is an absolute killer amplifier. Impossible to beat in this price category. Go have a listen in a studio and find for yourself. :dance: :dance: :rockout: :rockout: :rockout: :dance: :dance: :boohoo: :boohoo:

This is basically a high-end wolf priced as sheep. staggering amounts of power and reserve. Total control. The class A modules make an audiable difference smooth and detailed in low volumes. High volume punch and dynamic. Sound is so realistinc it's jaw dropping. :cheer: :clap:

I am sure if you listen to it for a moment with the Klipsch Rf7 you will fear it :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

After I purchased it one year ago I decided to gave away all my gear :grin: . Good luck beating that one! :twisted:

have to confess that Nad amps in general don't suit my ear. Always found them to be tooooooo bass-heavy. When I heard the 375 at a dealers I respectfully asked him to switch it off after about 30 secs of the first track.

This is a fault I found with all Nad amps I've heard over the years: Too exuberent.

This is just my personal opinion.

Edit - Apologies. The one I heard was the 372. My overall opnion still stands on Nads.

A

Anonymous

Penguin, amazing stuff! After 30 seconds audition to the 375 you took the time for a review :bounce: Ohhh it must have been horrible :poke: Nice little story,

Just my 2 seconds :grin:

A

Anonymous

Edit - Apologies. The one I heard was the 372. My overall opnion still stands on Nads.

It only gets better Penguin, the 372's were available for autition with dealers between 2005 and 2007 :wave: and from 2008 the 375 was released. But you keep the 30 sec's memories intact for 7 years. :pray: Don't hesitate to contribute more to the forum, bro!

8) 8) 8)

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
ErwinC said:
Compared to my current Trends Audio TA 10.1, the A-S500 lacks the ultimate transparancy, is less dynamic and the bass has less control/depth/power.

My next test will be to compare the NAD C375BEE and Yamaha A-S1000 in my own setup ...

I think it is very unlikely an amplifier with 10W into 8ohm at some 10% distortion or 5W at a more 'normal' 1% (that should probably read 0.01%, even for budget amplifiers) will either be more transparent or in control than the other amplifiers you've mentioned.

Having said that, if I remember right the heavy distortion spectrum of the little 'class D' amplifiers comprise mostly uneven order/higher harmonics so may well have the effect of sounding dynamic when in fact they more likely than not distort heavily.

All of this matters little if you enjoy your current system of course

regards

techeteri said:

It only gets better Penguin, the 372's were available for autition with dealers between 2005 and 2007 :wave: and from 2008 the 375 was released. But you keep the 30 sec's memories intact for 7 years. :pray: Don't hesitate to contribute more to the forum, bro!

8) 8) 8)

Whether good or bad if a product really sticks out then I do remember. BTW, I wasn't just there to audition the 372, the dealer asked whether I wanted to hear this model. As it happened my preferred choice then was Arcam.

Don't take it personally, old chap - this hobby is so subjective and Nads just don't 'do it' for me. Nad has a huge fanbase, but I'm not one of them.

Nad is the equivalent, in hi-fi terms, to a Ford XR3i.

The_Lhc

Oct 16, 2008
Visit site
techeteri said:

8) 8) 8)

How extraordinarily patronising! I like you already!*

*Please note, this is a BAD thing, ask anyone here...

alchemist 1

Mar 28, 2012
Visit site
ErwinC said:
Today i went to my local dealer and compared the NAD C375BEE/C 565BEE, Arcam A28/CD17, Denon PMA-1510AE/DCD-1510AE and Yamaha A-S700/CD-S700 setups on a pair of Monitor Audio GS60 speakers.

To make a long story short, the NAD setup was IMO clearly the best setup. The biggest surpise was the Yamaha setup which i found to be at least as good as the Arcam setup. The Denon setup was a disappointment for me. The sound was less controlled and lacked speed and impact.

Because i was so surprised by the Yamaha setup i asked the dealer if he had a Yamaha A-S500 or A-S1000 amplifier in stock. To my surpise he had a brand new A-S500 available which i was allowed to take home for an audition. I must say that i am extremely surprised by this amp even after only two hours of listening. Build quality is high and although the A-S500 had never played before, the little Yamaha already produced a tight, musical sound. Compared to my current Trends Audio TA 10.1, the A-S500 lacks the ultimate transparancy, is less dynamic and the bass has less control/depth/power.

The Yamaha as 1000 will be in a different league, construction and sound. :)

A

Anonymous

Stick yo the subject, please! If you never listened to the C375 maybe is better to read more than write how it sounds :grin:

Now now... as I said - and sizzers - we all have individual tastes, and no one should be cenured because we don't particularly like Nad. In fact I have recommended Nads on various occasions, over the years, and their products are good, but that doesn't mean I would spend my own money on one.

If you love the Nad 375 so much, why do you own a Marantz PM6003? Or if you think the 6003 isn't particularly good, how do you know the 6005 will be different? given the fact you've said that budget Marantzes are rubbish.

Clarification is required here.

As The_Lhc alluded to, patronising won't win you many followers.

Reggie Mental

Dec 23, 2011
Visit site
There's a guy at Harbeth that says any reasonable amp will work well on his speakers. I've found differences in phono stages, but not anything noticeable from amps themselves. If you like what you have, then fine, but no need to slate those that disagree. It's all highly subjective.

A

Anonymous

It's nice to talk, but this thread hasn't been created to comment Marantz or Ford. :exmark:

Not even NAD in general, just the model C375 and the review on WHF which in my opinion should not be rated as tree stars ( *** ) since it deserves 5 out of 5.The aim was not to prove myself, but to help others who have this samequestion...

I am happy that you like your gear whatever it is, this is the way it should be!

As I mentioned I keep the Marantz Pm6003 for my daughter. Is it now legal? :doh: And she likes it, it has smooth sound and mellow bass which makes it laid back and easy on her small ears. :boohoo:

techeteri said:
It's nice to talk, but this thread hasn't been created to comment Marantz or Ford. :exmark:

Not even NAD in general, just the model C375 and the review on WHF which in my opinion should not be rated as tree stars ( *** ) since it deserves 5 out of 5.The aim was not to prove myself, but to help others who have this samequestion...

I am happy that you like your gear whatever it is, this is the way it should be!

As I mentioned I keep the Marantz Pm6003 for my daughter. Is it now legal? :doh: And she likes it, it has smooth sound and mellow bass which makes it laid back and easy on her small ears. :boohoo:

That's good your daughter likes the Marantz, but still haven't really answered the question. If you love the 375 so much, why have you NOT purchased one?

A

Anonymous

Well, I have this amplifier... it's been one year already since I have it and it is married happily to a sony xa5400es player and Klipsch RF-7 speakers.

I have uloaded a video on you tube b/w my setup and the setup of my daughter. Even with youtube compression and simple camera microhone the difference is audiable and you should immediately feel it.

The video is to demonstrate the difference primarly b/w the Klipsch Rf-7 vs Klipsch RB-81, not the difference in the amplification. :exmark: I beleive that the RF-7 is really not giving the RB-81 any chance it is so much supperior that even if it had better amp the hudge difference will be still there.

Here's a link

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kYJltcTIHEg

Blackdawn

May 7, 2010
Visit site
techeteri said:
Well, I have this amplifier... it's been one year already since I have it and it is married happily to a sony xa5400es player and Klipsch RF-7 speakers.

I have uloaded a video on you tube b/w my setup and the setup of my daughter. Even with youtube compression and simple camera microhone the difference is audiable and you should immediately feel it.

The video is to demonstrate the difference primarly b/w the Klipsch Rf-7 vs Klipsch RB-81, not the difference in the amplification. :exmark: I beleive that the RF-7 is really not giving the RB-81 any chance it is so much supperior that even if it had better amp the hudge difference will be still there.

Here's a link

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kYJltcTIHEg

I'm sorry, from your video doesn't show a great deal, you can probably hear a big difference but I can't on you tube. The speakers are in very different price categories (£3000 vs £600 for mk2) and they are not the same design (floorstanders vs standmounts) therefore it is not a very useful comparison as we expect the speaker which costs 5 times more to sound better.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts