My Roksan Radius has stopped working AGAIN!!!!

B

BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW

If it wasn't for bad luck, I'd have no luck at all.

After finally getting a cartridge fitted, and the turntable set up and sounding great, the table has developed a major problem.

The pulley stops rotating after around 15 seconds of use. I had noticed a slight whining sound from that area before the first time it stopped, but I put that down to just not having noticed it, as it was only a slight whine.

I need to contact Roksan to arrange a repair, but having bought it from a seller on ebay who listed it as having a 5 year warranty, I've noticed that the warranty registration and purchase information card has never been filled inm, let alone sent to Roksan.

I've contacted the ebay seller to try to find purchase details, and to ask about the 5 year warranty, which he did say the turntable had on his ebay listing, so I'm stuck until then. I don't want to ring Roksan until I have the relevant information, and until I know whether or not the turntable is covered by any warranty.

As I said, I'm waiting on the seller replying to me, but should the turntable not be covered by a warranty, what do you think my best course of action is?

Personally, I think I should contact ebay, as I bought the deck via Paypal, and I should have some kind of buying protection through them, but I'm not sure I'd be covered. The turntable was very clearly listed as having a 5 year warranty, so my thoughts are that if the seller has not provided this, he should either cover the cost of repair, or accept the turntable back, and issue a full refund.

Should have stuck with my project debut III

floyd droid

Sep 5, 2008
Visit site
Is there a grub screw that locks the pully on't spindle , if so has it come a smidge loose. The pully will just be free wheeling on't motor spigot if this is the case.

Can you email me a photograph of yourself please , as I would like to carry it with me when I next take a plane trip. :grin:

B

BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW

An update:

I have spoken to Roksan, and they have informed me that the turntable would have a 5 year warranty, and the balance of that warranty can be transferred to me, but the original purchaser (ebay seller) would have to confirm certain details with them, as he never fully registered the turntable with them.
I've provided them with the sellers name, they say they have his email address, so they will ring me back to confirm either way what the outcome is.
I'm going to email the seller again to confirm my conversation with Roksan, and to ask him to speak to them.
It's looking slightly more promising than earlier, but only slightly.

B

BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW

floyd droid said:
Is there a grub screw that locks the pully on't spindle , if so has it come a smidge loose. The pully will just be free wheeling on't motor spigot if this is the case.

Can you email me a photograph of yourself please , as I would like to carry it with me when I next take a plane trip. :grin:

Can't see a grub screw, and I'm not willing at this point to start fiddling with it. I don't think this is the problem though, because the very slight noise stops when the rotating does, so it must be the motor stopping.

I'm trying to understand that gag, but my brain is in seizure at the moment, and I just can not think.

floyd droid

Sep 5, 2008
Visit site
BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW said:
I'm trying to understand that gag, but my brain is in seizure at the moment, and I just can not think.

Because if I find that you are sitting next to me I'm getting off ;).

Lucky heather isnt exactly your middle name is it . Geddit now. :)

B

BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW

Update:

The ebay seller has contacted me, but his name isn't the same as the name I gave to Roksan, so it seems that he bought it from the original purchaser, and I'm the third owner.
doh.gif

B

BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW

floyd droid said:
BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW said:

Because if I find that you are sitting next to me I'm getting off ;).

Lucky heather isnt exactly your middle name is it . Geddit now. :)

doh.gif

My wife agrees with you, she says she had lots of good luck before she met me, now it's all bad.

B

BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW

I'm making progress, the ebay seller is being helpful, and Roksan have already rung me back and given me a direct email address for me to forward the information on to them.

If it wasn't for bad luck, I'd have no luck at all. - reminds me of a song.

Don't go looking for grub screws on pulley as there isn't one.

Sounds like the motor is definitly shot.

Roksan usually very good regards warranties.

I wish you all the best.

Bag of shamrocks / lucky heather / rabbits feet are in the post.

Get rid of that Albatross hanging round your neck. :)

B

BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW

iamthegruffalo said:
I have just been unlucky with a purchase on ebay, first for a long time, it happens occasionally

I'm sorry for your bad luck, but I have a little history with problem turntables and cartridges.

I've just managed to get a cartridge that actually fits and isn't faulty on my turntable after owning it for 2 months.

This year I've bought a Clearaudio Concept which was damaged in transit, and an Rega RP6 which arrived with an important section missing, so this turntable should have been 3rd time lucky.

The problem with the warranty is almost sorted, but then it's the arranging of a repair when I'm away working Mon-Fri that will prove the next problem.

I've not been blessed with luck this year, but I'm hoping it's all leading up to a massive lottery win.
grin.gif

Charlie Jefferson

Sep 2, 2007
Visit site
BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW said:
iamthegruffalo said:
I have just been unlucky with a purchase on ebay, first for a long time, it happens occasionally

I'm sorry for your bad luck, but I have a little history with problem turntables and cartridges.

I've just managed to get a cartridge that actually fits and isn't faulty on my turntable after owning it for 2 months.

This year I've bought a Clearaudio Concept which was damaged in transit, and an Rega RP6 which arrived with an important section missing, so this turntable should have been 3rd time lucky.

The problem with the warranty is almost sorted, but then it's the arranging of a repair when I'm away working Mon-Fri that will prove the next problem.

I've not been blessed with luck this year, but I'm hoping it's all leading up to a massive lottery win.
grin.gif

Jeez, sorry to hear all of that.

Roll on, those lucky numbers.

Hovercraft LP arrived today. Thanks for the suggestion. Ear-meldingly marvellous stuff.

B

BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW

I thought you'd like it Charlie, but does your wife?
smile.png

My wife surprised me when I put on Junkyard by The Birthday Party, said she really liked it.

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
Maybe he is. Good thing about TT's is that most things are easily fixable and after that, cartridge accidents/stylus wear aside, they should go on for years with just a little bit of TLC.

regards

B

BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW

Have to say, the ebay seller couldn't be more helpful, and Roksan (so far) have been very good too.

Not quite sure how quickly the repair can be done once the warranty situation is sorted, but I may well be without a turntable for a month or so.

Yes I know I still have the Pro-Ject, but that's not working at the moment, thanks to my stupidness.

D

Deleted member 2457

iamthegruffalo said:

Agreed, it can happen, it can even happen at shops too.

lxd55

Jan 24, 2009
Visit site
Hi BBB,

i'm following this thread with particular interest, I bought a buttkicker wireless system off eBay and the kit is still within the warranty period. The amp has developed a fault in that it won't switch on. When I've contacted Shakercentre (whom the eBay seller originally purchase the kit from) they stated the warranty terms state the warranty isn't transferable. I am currently appealing to their good nature and customer satisfaction. But interesting to see Roksan seem ok to support.

kr

Lxd

B

BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW

@lxd55

I think the majority of warranties are not transferable, so that's quite normal.

Did the seller state on his listing that there was a warranty with the system?

If he did, then I would contact him to let him know that the warranty wasn't transferable, and you wouldn't have bought the item if you'd known that. Then I would ring ebay and talk to them about the details, and what can be done.

In my situation, Roksan are being helpful only because the ebay seller is assisting me as much as possible, but without his help, Roksan have already stated that they would not be able to help.

It's not done and dusted by any means, but I feel a whole lot better about the situation than I did yesterday when the problem appeared.

I hope you have some luck in sorting your problem.

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW said:
Have to say, the ebay seller couldn't be more helpful, and Roksan (so far) have been very good too. Not quite sure how quickly the repair can be done once the warranty situation is sorted, but I may well be without a turntable for a month or so. Yes I know I still have the Pro-Ject, but that's not working at the moment, thanks to my stupidness.

You could always get a Technics SL10/7 in the meantime. I am sure you could sell-on with little loss when you get your Roksan back.

Perfect for the more hamfisted, there is not much to set up, its fully automatic and it sounds very, very nice.

Of course, you may decide to keep it ...:)

regards

Charlie Jefferson

Sep 2, 2007
Visit site
BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW said:
smile.png

My wife surprised me when I put on Junkyard by The Birthday Party, said she really liked it.

She's not had the pleasure, as yet.

I've given it a good listen this afternoon. I'm filing it, figuratively, in between my Neu box set and PIL's Metal Box. I love it. Plus, it's giving my system a different kind of going over to the last few week's Bob-fest.

The closest my wife has come, so far, to The Birthday Party, is the more melodious sounds of The Boatmen's Call. She tried to persuade me to sing Are You The One I've Been Waiting For at our wedding. I declined and deferred to my father-in-law and best man's wife duetting on piano and vocal renditions of Sarah Vaughan-style takes on Belle & Sebastian & Morrissey.
I guess you had to be there. Or maybe not!

Good luck with the turntable.

B

BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW

Charlie Jefferson said:
BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW said:
smile.png

She's not had the pleasure, as yet.

I've given it a good listen this afternoon. I'm filing it, figuratively, in between my Neu box set and PIL's Metal Box. I love it. Plus, it's giving my system a different kind of going over to the last few week's Bob-fest. The closest my wife has come, so far, to The Birthday Party, is the more melodious sounds of The Boatmen's Call. She tried to persuade me to sing Are You The One I've Been Waiting For at our wedding. I declined and deferred to my father-in-law and best man's wife duetting on piano and vocal renditions of Sarah Vaughan-style takes on Belle & Sebastian & Morrissey. I guess you had to be there. Or maybe not!

Good luck with the turntable.

You have a similar filing system to my mate, where as I file within genre alphabetically.

The wedding sounds good, mine involved 2 friends and I taking turns to play music that nobody really knew. Thed dance floor remained empty for the whole night, but atleast we didn't play sh*t.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts