My new iPad has just arrived

scene

Just had a phone call from my wife and there's an iPad shaped package just arrived at our house [:D] (Had an email from Apple yesterday afternoon saying my iPad had been shipped and would "be delivered to your shipping address on or before 30.7.2010 (go figure!)).

So now I just can't wait to get home for work, get the kids into bed and start playing with my new toy integrating the iPad with the rest of the kit.

So what apps to get? Already going to get the Sonos controller and Ocado (for Mrs. Scene) and LogMeIn

Suggestions welcomed...

(I'll post on my thoughts on the iPad after I get some quality time with it this weekend...)

A

Anonymous

have you not heard of that 11am bug thats doing the rounds scene ? it strikes hard you know , most that get it are gone home by 11.15
emotion-4.gif

scene

maxflinn:have you not heard of that 11am bug thats doing the rounds scene ? it strikes hard you know , most that get it are gone home by 11.15
emotion-4.gif

emotion-41.gif
I can already feel its effects
emotion-5.gif

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
Just looked at the prices on the Apple UK store. Not quite as expensive as I imagined but still pretty steep and the storage is a bit 'sparse'.

Was thinking about getting a £250-ish netbook this week. Is there lots that the iPad can do that a Netbook can't?

Apart from the looks (which would be obscured by a protective cover anyway) nothing is jumping out at me.

I already have an iPhone 3G so I am ok for phone/phone-camera/bit of casual surfing/iTunes/apps etc. when out-and-about.

Is there something huge that I am missing with the iPad?

Tonya

Sep 9, 2008
Visit site
. . . . "Suggestions welcomed..."

Well I am almost finished reprogramming my home entertainment system to use the iPad as a remote control system by incorporating it into the existing Crestron layout.
Also use it as a rather neat Internet radio head end so I can easily find almost any UK station available at the flick of a finger.
The audio quality using the line out from the original base stand is remarkably good!

There is also an app available to stream video to the iPad but I haven't tried it yet.

scene

Thanks for all your suggestions guys
emotion-21.gif

Slight delay in my iPad review, as I returned home on Friday evening to Niagara Falls in our kitchen
emotion-37.gif
(the joys of parenthood)
emotion-9.gif
Our darling youngest boy had decided to give his hands a proper wash in the bathroom sink, with plug in and tap on and then left it on (closing the door behind him)... I think the only reason our kitchen ceiling has survived is because the previous owners put up painted tongue-and-groove wood, with extra beams to hold up the wood - we're not that keen on it, but without it I suspect most of the ceiling would have been on the floor...

Kitchen and bathroom have been drying out over the weekend, and seem to have gotten away with minimal damage.
emotion-40.gif
- probably shouldn't tempt fate...

I did manage to get some quality time on the iPad on Sunday and
emotion-2.gif

More to follow...

scene

Tonya:
. . . . "Suggestions welcomed..."

Well I am almost finished reprogramming my home entertainment system to use the iPad as a remote control system by incorporating it into the existing Crestron layout.
Also use it as a rather neat Internet radio head end so I can easily find almost any UK station available at the flick of a finger.
The audio quality using the line out from the original base stand is remarkably good!

There is also an app available to stream video to the iPad but I haven't tried it yet.

This is all very interesting, as I'm looking at this kind of thing as well - though I don't have a Crestron system in place. Looking at using the iPad directly with an IR converting base stand (maybe).

Haven't streamed any vids yet - but did do some lossless playback on the iPad + the iGrados and it sounded brilliant - that reminds me, must upgrade the sig.

Tonya

Sep 9, 2008
Visit site
I thought of using the iPad as I have a ridiculously complex AV system at home and my wife keeps complaining that it doesn't work, so I had to simplify it and create a series of Blonde Macros or continue as my family's tech support when I travel.

The idea is that when Wifey starts to play a track on the iPad, the main system will kick in and select the correct inputs, signal levels, etc.

Selecting a "Jerry Springer" button would automatically select the channel where that particular show was on next, etc.

I'll post more info/pics when it's finished if anyone is interested.

richardw42

May 2, 2010
Visit site
JohnDuncan:Am poised for the slew of requests to turn off rich text editing so that people can post from their iPads...

Yes please !!!!!

scene

richardw42:
JohnDuncan:Am poised for the slew of requests to turn off rich text editing so that people can post from their iPads...

Yes please !!!!!

well I can confirm it works, but it really makes you think about your HTML...

richardw42

May 2, 2010
Visit site
Just done a Tesco grocery order. Did it in record time compared to my laptop.

Just watch out when you change quantities as I somehow managed to order 41 packets of Super Noodles, caught it though.

Who needs a tesco app ?

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts